collapse

Author Topic: Trouble Reinstalling Patch 12  (Read 3367 times)

Offline [archive] DarkZephyros

• Fledgling
Re: Trouble Reinstalling Patch 12
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 I am unable to reinstall the official patch 1.2.  I want to do this before I install the unofficial patch 3.5.  The problem is that the installer "thinks" that the game is already patched to 1.2 and I KNOW that it is not.  I had this patch installed it on a previous installation of the game, but because of OTHER problems I was having, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game.  

Is this a registry problem akin to what occurs when people are not able to reinstall the game itself?   If so, how do I clean my registry?  

I have downloaded and installed the bloodlines registry tool, but it must not affect any registries related to the 1.2 patch IF its a registry issue, because even after using that and reinstalling the game, the 1.2 patch installer still "thinks" that the game is already patched.  Why in the world did Troika design the patches so that they couldn't be reinstalled in the first place?

Anyway, any help here would be awesome.  Thanks in advance.

Edited for Clarification

Edit II:  I looked through the forums until I found other threads about this  topic, so things are cleared up for me now, but I will copy and paste what helped me from another thread into this one in case anyone else has this problem any time soon.
     -----------------------------------

Many people have had trouble reinstalling the official Vampire: the Masquerade-Bloodlines Patch 1.2. They report that the patch's InstallShield Wizard insists that the game has already been updated-even though it hasn't. Contained within this thread are three possible solutions to that problem. The first two are players' own solutions. They are: deleting all the files found in a folder called "InstallShield Installation Information" and tinkering with the registry. You will also find a solution offered by Activision.

So, if you have trouble reinstalling the official 1.2 patch, I recommend the following. First, read this entire thread. It may take a while, but you'll be better for it. It may also answer some additional and related questions that you might have. Second, at present, I, a complete schmuck, recommend a synthesis of these answers, which is presented below.

1. Uninstall Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines.
     2. Delete the "Activision" folder from the "Program Files" folder.
     3. Delete the "vtmb.ini" file from the "Windows" folder.
     4. Delete all files from the "InstallShield Installation Information" folder.
     5. Delete the following five registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\7A4A2E4C326bbC04E8AE275F774ED965

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\7A4A2E4C326BBC04E8AE275F774ED965

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{C4E2A4A7-B623-40CB-8EEA-72F577E49D56}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{C4E2A4A7-B623-40CB-8EEA-72F577E49D56}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{C4E2A4A7-B623-40CB-8EEA-72F577E49D56}

6. Reinstall Vampire: the Masquerade-Bloodlines.
     7. OPTIONAL: Reinstall Dan Upright's Unofficial Bloodlines Patch (found here at: http://archive.planetvampire.com/bloodlines/files/patches/).
     8. Reinstall Vampire: the Masquerade-Bloodlines Patch 1.2 (found here at: http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/patch/).

Now, let me warn you: this is only a synthesis. This is not the official solution, and tinkering with your registry can cause untold problems. So, read through the entire thread. Understand how these recommendations might work and how to perform them. Then, decide which of the solutions you're willing to try: the Synthesis, the "III", the Random Registry Raid, or the Activision Three Step Program. This is your game; this is your computer; this is your choice.

Should you have any additional questions or a different problem, don't hesitate to ask about them. This community is here to help.

[ORIGINAL MESSAGE: 01.02.05]

The surest proof of what an excellent game this is, is the fact that we persist in playing it, despite all its damned bugs. It ought receive an award to that end. (And we ought to recieve a swift kick.)

Anyway, one particularly bothersome bug has bit me in the butt for the last time.

Whenever I try to install the official patch, the InstallShield Wizard insists that the patch has already been updated to 1.2. But I assure you, one glimpse of the awfully animated introduction proves otherwise.

When Vampire uninstalls itself, does it leave something behind? Some configuration file that misleads the patch? Has anyone else encountered this problem? If I'm the first, I doubt I'll be the last. Any advice? Any?...

It's been days since I last played. I feel like a dry ghoul. My God... I am become Patty.
     -----------------------------------

Offline [archive] MooCHa2

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #1

I will try to look into this later but I don't see why your having this problem. The registry tool deletes all associated registry entries. I've used the tool over 70 times now successfully.

When you re-install is there any problems regarding Activision and Troika registry keys being written to the registry?

I have to go for now but I will try to replicate your problem later. If I'm sober enough.

Regards...                        

Offline [archive] CaptainBoxman

• Methuselah
    « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #1

I've got the same problem at the moment, I uninstalled, then re-installed and suddenly

*pooft*                        

-----signature-----
               Boxmen stand tall and ever vigilant!

• Fledgling
    « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #2

MooCHa posted:

In Reply To #1

I will try to look into this later but I don't see why your having this problem. The registry tool deletes all associated registry entries. I've used the tool over 70 times now successfully.

When you re-install is there any problems regarding Activision and Troika registry keys being written to the registry?

I have to go for now but I will try to replicate your problem later. If I'm sober enough.

Regards...</quote>

MooCHa, you do not have to look into it because the problem does not lie in your tool.  I wish I had made that clear in the edit of my initial post, and for not doing so, I apologize.  Your excellent tool works exactly as it is supposed to.  

The problem I was having was due to the InstallShield Installation Information folder.  To be able to reinstall the patch, I just had to delete all of the left over crud from that folder.   Thanks for making the BloodlinesRegistry Delete tool, because it makes the reinstallation of the game and patches a nice and smooth excercise.  

In Reply To #3
     <quote by="Captain Boxman">
     In Reply To #1

I've got the same problem at the moment, I uninstalled, then re-installed and suddenly

*pooft*

Captain Boxman, you might want to try deleting the contents of your InstallShield Installation Information folder, which is located in the Program Files folder.  That is what turned out to be my problem.  It is a hidden folder, so you will need to set your folder options to show hidden files and folders.  Good luck!                        

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #4

No problem and no need to apologise either.

Anyway, I managed recreate the problem and the solution was exactly as yours. Weird that I've never had the problem before(scratches head).

I tracked the folder down and I will try to add it to the tool in the next few days so that it automatically deletes the files in the uninstallshield folder at the same time as the registry entries. Time permitting Offcourse.

In the meantime anyone having this problem browse to C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information then delete the files within the {08F8FD7C-44A5-4423-B87C-EBD3D94C9F87} Folder then proceed to install the Official patch. You can delete this folder entirely if you wish but there isn't any need to do so.

Regards...

• Fledgling
    « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #5

MooCHa posted:

In Reply To #4

Anyway, I managed recreate the problem and the solution was exactly as yours. Weird that I've never had the problem before(scratches head).

I tracked the folder down and I will try to add it to the tool in the next few days so that it automatically deletes the files in the uninstallshield folder at the same time as the registry entries. Time permitting Offcourse.

That would be pretty darn awesome!  Thanks again!  happy                        

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #6

No worries. I have credited you as I wouldn't have updated the program otherwise.

Regards...                        

Offline [archive] vesselle53802524

• Fledgling
    « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #6

DarkZephyr posted:

In Reply To #5

MooCHa posted:

In Reply To #4

That would be pretty darn awesome!  Thanks again!  happy    

has it been added yet, by any chance? i'm encountering the same problem. thanks.

V***V                        

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #8

Yes it has. You can find it in this thread.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetvampire/topic.asp?fid=9643&tid=2038608

Regards...

Offline [archive] vesselle53802524

• Fledgling
    « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #9

sad  it didn't work for me. i downloaded it several times, but when i tried to open the file, i got an "unexepected ending" kind of message.
     anyway, that meant there were still references on my computer and in my registry. so i went in and removed them myself, as mentioned in your description on how to do it manually.

and now i go to see if it worked. happy  *keeps her fingers crossed*

OH NO!!

please help!!

i put in the cd to install the game, the installshield thingie comes up, then it tells me it's uninstalling the game and quits!

anyone know what's going on? i need help. sad

V***V

• Antediluvian
    Trouble Reinstalling Patch 12
    « Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
                    In Reply To #10

vessellle posted:

In Reply To #9

sad  it didn't work for me. i downloaded it several times, but when i tried to open the file, i got an "unexepected ending" kind of message.
     anyway, that meant there were still references on my computer and in my registry. so i went in and removed them myself, as mentioned in your description on how to do it manually.

and now i go to see if it worked. happy  *keeps her fingers crossed*

OH NO!!

please help!!

i put in the cd to install the game, the installshield thingie comes up, then it tells me it's uninstalling the game and quits!

anyone know what's going on? i need help. sad

V***V

I have just replaced the download file. I have no idea why the file had become corrupt. Thanks for letting me know.

I've downloaded it and tested it, btw I use winrar to extract it.

Regards...