collapse

* Notice

Important notice (31 July): We have recently recovered from a nearly two day downtime due to an attack. No data was lost or stolen but the server has been reinstalled as a precaution. Please let us know if you encounter any issues. We apologise for the unacceptable inconvenience. Please read here for more information.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Model request to DDLullu and others!  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Model request to DDLullu and others!
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 12:20:47 pm »
For now, if you want to see an example of a working edited model, you can download it below. I extensively tested it and it works brilliantly.

I just took a look at it in the parking lot of Santa Monica. The model itself is indeed fine, but the reflections of the windows are completely off and look artificial! I can fix that by removing the env_cubemap from the vmt though...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:25:56 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:09 pm »
For now, if you want to see an example of a working edited model, you can download it below. I extensively tested it and it works brilliantly.

I just took a look at it in the parking lot of Santa Monica. The model itself is indeed fine, but the reflections of the windows are completely off and look artificial! I don't know if this can be fixed by edition the vmt or if we still would need to recompile all maps to get these right...

It is probably because of the glass texture I used. It belongs to the helicopter model. I just changed the name, didn't even edit the vmt. I would prefer darker windows, they would look less shiny and more natural.

Could you try it with another set of transparent textures? Maybe use the taxi ones or something else?

I am pretty sure I can fix this issue with relative ease.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2020, 12:26:45 pm »
See above, this can be fixed by editing the vmt file :)!

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2020, 12:34:15 pm »
See above, this can be fixed by editing the vmt file :)!

Brilliant! Thank you :)

I love this forum, one solution after another :)

So.. what did you think of the model itself? Does it look good?

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2020, 12:37:33 pm »

Yes. So when can you do all the other ones ;)? If we don't need to recompile anything, this might be a thing for the plus patch at least!

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2020, 12:44:26 pm »

Yes. So when can you do all the other ones ;)? If we don't need to recompile anything, this might be a thing for the plus patch at least!

YAY! :)

I am not sure, but it shouldn't take very long at all. I will also try to revive some of the junk car models so we can have more variation (just in case it might be needed as a background model), but I will try that after I complete rest of the main models first.

Edit: I wrote should instead of shouldn't. "it shouldn't take very long"

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:57:41 pm by endthewars »

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2020, 09:45:46 pm »

I have a question and I think you might be able to help.

Its been a while since the last time I played, so I can't locate several cars.

Other than the sedan one that's commonly used, there are a two limo models (one long and one extra long) and one red lightningbird model. I can't seem to locate them anywhere. I can find the green lightningbird commonly, but not the red one.

(PS: I am not talking about the red lightningbird with openable trunk. I know that's in Santa Monica, that's a special model.)

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2020, 09:07:53 am »
Other than the sedan one that's commonly used, there are a two limo models (one long and one extra long) and one red lightningbird model. I can't seem to locate them anywhere. I can find the green lightningbird commonly, but not the red one.

Have you looked in the parking garage already? Also are you aware that different colors usually means different skins with no need to change the model. BTW, you wanted to send me some model files to test DLLullus tool. Or is that working from the SDK now?

P.S.: Did you try to edit the new line like this? call fix_studiomdl.exe -game "%ModDir%\%MdlFile%.mdl"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:23:26 am by Wesp5 »

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2020, 10:45:59 am »
Have you looked in the parking garage already?

Right, now I realize I have looked everywhere except the LA underground parking garage. I somehow forgot that place existed. I can't seem to recall seeing a long limo there, but I will check when I can.

Also are you aware that different colors usually means different skins with no need to change the model.

I am aware of that, with 1970chevymalibu I only needed to edit a single model. But with lightningbird there are actually three different models, one for red, one for green and one more for red with openable trunk. They are all different sizes too. (and they have different poly counts)

More I poke around the files, more I realize how wildly inconsistent models are in this game. 1970chevy was a properly and efficiently made model, so it was relatively easy to work on it. Lightningbird on the other hand is a complicated mess. There are actually 4 - 5 layers of faces all randomly mashed up together, none of them seems to be connected or anything. (Basically just a mess of layers/faces.) When I started working on it, I started facing other problems.

I did finish the red and the green one, but because it is a mess of layers, it ended up looking all weird in game. I will try to send it to you when I get home, so you can test it out.

Since I didn't have the chance to work on any other models, I am not sure if there are more examples of this. But lightningbird model(s) was challenging to say the least and I can't rightly consider it properly finished. If rest of them are like that, I might not be able to finish it because as good as the 1970chevy model looks, lightningbird looks equally horrible.

BTW, you wanted to send me some model files to test DDLullus tool. Or is that working from the SDK now?

It still isn't working from the SDK.

Also I realized, I can't decompile the models I compiled. It just doesn't work.

I wanted to send you some files to test, but there has been power shortages in my neighborhood for a few days now and I have basically no access to my computer.

We only had power for a few hours last night and I wasn't even home for the majority of it. I haven't even been able to work on my project. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. If not, I will still try to send you some files somehow. I was working on a laptop model and several other files (some compiled, some not), I should be able to send you those to test.

Edit: I did try to manually edit the line as "call fix_studiomdl.exe -game "%ModDir%\%MdlFile%.mdl" just like DDLullu suggested but it didn't work for me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:50:53 am by endthewars »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2020, 12:07:37 pm »
Since I didn't have the chance to work on any other models, I am not sure if there are more examples of this. But lightningbird model(s) was challenging to say the least and I can't rightly consider it properly finished. If rest of them are like that, I might not be able to finish it because as good as the 1970chevy model looks, lightningbird looks equally horrible.

Hm, maybe this is not as easy as we hoped. In afterthought, it isn't really a thing for the patch either, as it isn't a fix nor a restoration. Rather similar to the improved logos or the HD textures in upgrading the game as a whole. Maybe I will keep 10.5 as it is without it for now.

It still isn't working from the SDK.

I'll include it as an extra tool then.

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2020, 12:19:05 pm »
Hm, maybe this is not as easy as we hoped. In afterthought, it isn't really a thing for the patch either, as it isn't a fix nor a restoration. Rather similar to the improved logos or the HD textures in upgrading the game as a whole. Maybe I will keep 10.5 as it is without it for now.

You are right, I think it is best to delay it for now. I will do my best to resolve the issues and get all cars working properly, so maybe it will be ready in time for the next release. (10.6?) If other cars are not like lightningbird model, I could finish them soon though. First car was incredibly easy to do.

We will see I suppose.

You totally should. All it needs is instructions for dropping the compiled mdl's on it. It is still a life saver.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2020, 12:26:57 pm »

You totally should. All it needs is instructions for dropping the compiled mdl's on it. It is still a life saver.

Already done, althought I renamed it so it's more clear what it does: Make-Model-Solid tool :)!

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2020, 11:21:51 pm »
Already done, althought I renamed it so it's more clear what it does: Make-Model-Solid tool :)!

It is a fitting name :)

But like I have promised, I have prepared some test files for you. (they finally fixed that power issue and I have access to my computer, finally!) You shouldn't have to take my word for it, please feel free to test the tool yourself. :)

I have finally found a way to fix the problem I was having with the lightningbird model. It is working perfectly now. Long story short, turns out the problem was, I was trying to do the things the right way, but the model itself wasn't created the right way at all. Files I attached belong to the finished product. (three versions of it in fact. 1 not compiled, 1 compiled and not fixed and 1 compiled and fixed)

Since I managed to figure out how to deal with this problem, I am pretty much back on track with this project which makes me happy. :)

By the way, remember the cars I mentioned? I looked everywhere including the LA underground garage and I don't think they were used anywhere. I can't find them.

Please check:

limo_stretch.mdl (I thought I would find it in Holywood, but it is nowhere to be seen. Maybe it is used in one of the smaller maps but I can't find it. sedan.mdl is commonly used, limo.mdl used only in the LA underground garage but stretch version is nowhere to be seen.)

lightningbird.mdl (The plain red version. lightningbird_green.mdl is commonly used and car_idle.mdl is used in the SM garage, but plain red lightningbird model doesn't appear to be used anywhere.)

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2020, 09:09:43 am »
But like I have promised, I have prepared some test files for you.

I tested them and get the same batch file error that you do. So the current setup with the seperate tool will stay!

limo_stretch.mdl (I thought I would find it in Holywood, but it is nowhere to be seen. Maybe it is used in one of the smaller maps but I can't find it. sedan.mdl is commonly used, limo.mdl used only in the LA underground garage but stretch version is nowhere to be seen.)

I restored this one to the outside of the Giovanni Mansion long ago.

lightningbird.mdl (The plain red version. lightningbird_green.mdl is commonly used and car_idle.mdl is used in the SM garage, but plain red lightningbird model doesn't appear to be used anywhere.)

If this looks exactly the same as the one in the SM garage except for the not openable trunk, it might not be anywhere else, because I normally don't care about restoring models that look the same to the player.

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 03:23:19 pm »
I restored this one to the outside of the Giovanni Mansion long ago.

No wonder I didn't find it, I didn't even think of that map.

Now that you mention it, I finally remember seeing it there on my last playtrough. (I can't even recall when that exactly was)

If this looks exactly the same as the one in the SM garage except for the not openable trunk, it might not be anywhere else, because I normally don't care about restoring models that look the same to the player.

It is strange though. It is not just exactly the same model with a different texture on it, it has a higher poly count and they didn't exactly need to create separate model file for it. Not to mention green one isn't even the main one, red one is. What were they intending to do with it I wonder. It is a mystery.
This really makes me want to do something out of it though, possibilities are limitless. :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:27:09 pm by endthewars »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal