collapse

* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Bug: Santa Monica resets  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Compassion

• Neonate
Bug: Santa Monica resets
« on: March 28, 2022, 01:32:22 pm »
Sometimes I have the problem that once I leave Santa Monica and come back for the Elizabeth Dane quest, Santa Monica has reset.

That means the red car is closed up again (thats my test now if it has happened again), when I go to Mercurio he is outside his house on his knees, when I get to my appartment the intro plays again (and Mercurio crawls into his home on his knees), when I get into my home I can pick another $100 from the desk (not sure if theres also new blood), when I go to the Beach there is no boat (for going to the Elizabeth Dane) and no Mercurio (after lying to LaCroix that everything went smoothly in Santa Monica).

So far it has happened 3 times, for some reason always with a Tremere. It happened twice with 10.8, after which I expected that sometime must be wrong with the installation, but when I upgraded it also still happends with 11.1.

Since I always make a save after all initial Santa Monica quests (when Santa Monica is still fine) I could always go back to that and redo the initial Downtown stuff, but so far I havent figured out what exactly triggers this.

Though I suspect its something to do with LaCroix dialogues. When it happened, I redid the absolute minimum of what I would always want to do (go talk with the Tremere regent, talk with Nines for the upgrade of Brawl, finish the Venus quests for her money) and used only the minimal dialogues with LaCroix, not asking him for any information, and then it worked.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Bug: Santa Monica resets
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 03:44:07 pm »
Can you please check in the console the value of the variable "G.Story_State" before and after the reset happens? I also checked LaCroix's dialogue and the variable is not set there, so it must be somewhere else...

Offline Compassion

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 03:41:05 pm »
I have a save before I enter the tower to get the Elizabeth Dane quest.

Story state is 10 when I enter, 10 when I leave, and 0 when I immediately take the taxi to Santa Monica.

I tested and went to Santa Monica immediately instead of talking to LaCroix first, and its 0 then, too.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 06:04:44 pm »
Who was the last one you talked to and was it 0 already when you left him?

Offline Compassion

• Neonate
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 08:22:00 pm »
Well the last person I talk to before driving the taxi is the taxidriver. Before I drive the variable is 10 and afterwards 0.

Otherwise I talked with the guy in the entrance (Chunck) and LaCroix. Before and after that the variable is 10. I didnt check in the middle but I can do that too if wanted.

But even if I dont talk to them and immediately drive to Santa Monica the variable is 0 on arrival.

I am on a Tremere and I have never have this happened on another clan, but twice on 10.8 and, after I upgraded, now on 11.1 as well.

I did most of the sidequests when I arrived in Downtown. After this bug I only did Venus and talking to Strauss and the Anarchs and Santa Monica was fine. I have also played this second attempt further and saw no problems with Santa Monica.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 10:39:49 pm »
Did you continue an old save after updating the patch? Because there is only one place where G.Story_State is set to 0 and this is when you first enter the SM hub. Which should be coming out of your Haven unless the map changed when you came back from downtown.

Offline Compassion

• Neonate
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 06:34:27 am »
> Did you continue an old save after updating the patch?

No, I stored all old saves away and started anew. I play this game since release every couple of years, I know the drill.

> Because there is only one place where G.Story_State is set to 0 and this is when you first enter the SM hub.

Well then I dont know whats going on.

As I said, I repeated Downtown, did only the minimal missions I wouldnt want to miss (get Venus money, get Nines upgrade to Brawl) and everything went OK.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 08:02:10 am »
Maybe you're playing long sessions without pauses. But I bet you already know about it so it must be something else....
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 09:01:22 am »
Maybe you're playing long sessions without pauses. But I bet you already know about it so it must be something else....
That could be it, because ten thousands of players don't have that problem. I will move it into Python code though just to be sure!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 09:32:45 am by Wesp5 »

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 09:11:51 am »
Just out of curiosity, have you tried what happens if you complete the Dane quest? Then when you return Story State should be 15 (Test on the pier and on the hub). Or try going into any building in Santa Monica and manually set Story state back to 10. Then return to the hub and check.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Romka Poet

• Antediluvian
  • Just an ordinary guy
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 11:46:56 am »
I don’t know what exactly could cause such an error, but I believe that in this case only a complete removal of the game and its reinstallation can help. Uninstall the game first. After that, you will manually need to delete the remaining game files that were left from the unofficial patch, followed by reinstalling the game with patch 1.2 and the latest version of the Wesp patch.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 11:54:26 am by Romka Poet »

Offline Compassion

• Neonate
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 05:51:57 pm »
Well, I always restart after every city, or about 2 hours. Often even more frequently.

Maybe I've forgotten to do it for the Tremere, I dont know now for sure, though I think I did for him, too.

I cannot do the dane quest; the boat to get to the Dane is missing.

My game got removed and installed already when I switched from 10.8 to 11.1.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:53:35 pm by Compassion »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 06:30:46 pm »
Only after every hub? 2 hours? I do that every 45 minutes.
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 06:42:25 pm »
I often play for more than an hour at a time without any problems. So I doubt that's the reason.

Right, the boat. I have forgotten that it is story state dependent. :facepalm:
But you can try this: When you arrive in Santa Monica go into the Asylum (closest building to the taxi), there use the console to reset G.Story_State = 10, and then try what happens when you step out again.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Compassion

• Neonate
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 07:38:02 pm »
Hmm I have located the other auto- and quicksaves from back when the error occured - and even the earliest autosave that actually happened right after I left Santa Monica already sets G.Story_State to 0 when I go back to Santa Monica.

Its 10 in Downtown.

At that point I had just left Santa Monica and immediately went back.

So I guess I indeed didnt stop and start the game at that point ?

Good thing I always save at the end of each city though this way I can recover nicely.

I guess its some sort of engine problem. Weird it only happened with Tremere. I have played so far Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador and Ventrue on 11.1 (havent finished any, and I was on vacation), and none of them had this problem.

P.s.: The fact that I have an autosave right after I leave Santa Monica strongly suggests though that I indeed made the final Santa Monica save, restarted, and only then went to Downtown. Just like I think I did.

P.p.s.:
But you can try this: When you arrive in Santa Monica go into the Asylum (closest building to the taxi), there use the console to reset G.Story_State = 10, and then try what happens when you step out again.

I played around with this.

The game turns into a weird mixture of the initial state and the expected state.

The rich guy with the broken car who you can ask and threaten for money and his clock is back, but goes off calling the police if you talk to him, probably because I threatened him with Int 4 for all you can get before.

Mercurio is BOTH in front of his house AND at the beach. If you approach your own appartment, the initial sequence is played again, and you're positioned at the usual location and see Mercurio enter his apparment building.

At the beach the Malk thinblood is standing in the intial position, but she's not force talking to you like she does when you first arrive.

Mercurio is behind her, there, and the boat is there. I can do the Dane just fine.

The thinblood you can exploit for a lot of money, I think his name is Copper ?, is gone. Lily is already at the beach, since I had rescued her. E is standin in his initial position.

Etc.

Its really funny ... I guess I probably could continue the game like this.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:59:12 pm by Compassion »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal