collapse

Author Topic: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions  (Read 147777 times)

Offline Him696

• Fledgling
Re: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions
« Reply #630 on: April 02, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »
Found some more annoying things:

1. Some furniture,paintings and other items get replaced....like instead of a table it spawns washing machines and such. Now...I know the Malk is a..wacky character but this bug is rendering the computer useless, I cannot interact with my computer and sometimes I might get stuck not being able to leave the apartment (invisible walls? )

http://postimg.org/gallery/p1e5d3co/

2. Santa Monica is experiencing the same issue as 1

https://postimg.org/image/cs0hlsp6j/

3. That animation for the wires...might seem nice at first but it gets old and annoying, and clips through the walls.

https://postimg.org/image/epin3e5jf/

4. Not really important but, after I got the 5th (I think) poster, they disappeared from the SM haven.

https://postimg.org/image/qabsq5xg1/

Other than that it's been a smooth experience till now. (PS: thanks for the shortcut in the boring part)

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #631 on: April 02, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »
Well, for 1 and 2, these are known problems that usually occur after you have played a long time nonstop. Save, quit the game and restart should help. It's caused by memory problems, nothing we can do.

To turn off the wire shaking, edit /unofficial_patch/cfg/user.cfg: There are two lines:
Code: [Select]
alias ropeshake "rope_shake 1"
alias ropestop "rope_shake 0"
Make both "rope_shake 0".

I don't know what exactly happens with the posters, but they are supposed not to turn up at all in Santa Monica if you have another haven.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Him696

• Fledgling
« Reply #632 on: April 02, 2016, 11:35:19 PM »
Well, for 1 and 2, these are known problems that usually occur after you have played a long time nonstop. Save, quit the game and restart should help. It's caused by memory problems, nothing we can do.

To turn off the wire shaking, edit /unofficial_patch/cfg/user.cfg: There are two lines:
Code: [Select]
alias ropeshake "rope_shake 1"
alias ropestop "rope_shake 0"
Make both "rope_shake 0".

I don't know what exactly happens with the posters, but they are supposed not to turn up at all in Santa Monica if you have another haven.

Seems so. After I restarted the game it was all back to normal, even the posters in SM.

Thanks for that cmd line.

Offline duchU

• Fledgling
« Reply #633 on: April 03, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
I fixed few maps. Here is a link to 5 recompiled maps for patch 9.5b (plus version): https://www.sendspace.com/file/zk9v4w

Not 100% sure but I think these maps are not original ones and do not have original lightning (except la_museum_1.bsp - this map was recompiled and I know this from wesp).

All compiled with default vvis.exe settings for better performance/lightning.

Here are two screenshots to show the difference:

Museum map from 9.5b (plus): http://imgur.com/YO9SrwQ vs the same map decompiled (and fixed) and compiled with default settings: https://imgur.com/Gx1q9fh

la_library_1.bsp
- fixed geometry compilation error which 'breaks' vvis.exe (a sh!tload of unnecessary geometry calculations for 4 bigger shelves with books)
- fixed 3x "WARNING: Cluster portals saw into cluster." (changed few glass 'shelves' in the gallery area to func_detail)
- fixed 5x "make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: Cannot convert" (changed 2 columns (small and medium models) in the main hall from prop_static to prop_dynamic)

la_museum_1.bsp
- fixed "WARNING: Cluster portals saw into cluster." (changed the bridge's stairs in the main hall to func_detail)
- fixed waste container placement

sm_coffee_1.bsp
(no warnings/errors here)

sm_smoke_1.bsp
- fixed "WARNING: Cluster portals saw into cluster." (changed bar windows to func_detail)

la_malkavian_3b.bsp
- fixed "make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: Cannot convert" (changed 6 columns in the skylight area from prop_static to prop_dynamic)
- fixed 3x "WARNING: Cluster portals saw into cluster." (added few missing walls in the maze area and fixed one wall positioning)

*If someone wants to try it then I would recommend going only with the museum map.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:34:47 PM by duchU »

Offline FrederickVael

• Fledgling
« Reply #634 on: April 03, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »
I just saw this thread... silly me.

Anyway, besides the 2 bugs that I already posted on my thread, i have found another one, that again, I don't know if it's a bug or how the game works, but seems weird to me.

On the mission to find Barabus on Chinatown, when you go to find jhonny on his club, if you sneak to his room without being noticed, he will not react, no matter what you do, he will just stay looking at the TV. If you attack him, or shoot him, or go on a rampage on his club, no matter what, he will stay still, and the dialog will not trigger. If you kill him, the tv will turn on, and you will have the same conversation with the... mandarin? Don't know, the chinesse guy that holds barabus, as if you went through the regular scener with jhonny shooting you, freaking out, then the mandarin telling you to kill him.

Again, I can just kill jhonny and get my 5xp and what not, but it doesn't seem right. I sneaked to his room with a purpose, it doesnt make sense to just go and kill him.

Also, although I understand there are limits in the game, I'm playing as a gangrel, and I found out that getting 5 points in strenght is pointless, as if I use bloodbuff(+2), and protean 4(+4), my str max out to 10. It's logical to have limits, but I don't know if it actually serves any purpose to cap it at that. Though, it is weird, because after I found out that it would cap at 10 (which meant having 14 of unarmed combat, 10 from str, plus 4 from brawl), I decided to, instead of getting 5 points on str, I put the fifth point on brawl, which, paired with bloodbuff and protean, gave me 15 points on unarmed combat. But then, fighting the tongs on Zhaos warehouse, I got into frenzy (being fully buffed), and, instead of either staying at 15 (as my str was capped, and frenzy gives +5str on gangrel), I got to 19 on unarmed. Now, either frenzy gives me +4 to brawl (which I didn't notice before), or to unarmed combat, which means that the cap is limiting gangrels by a lot (you wouldn't be fighting on frenzy most of the time, but I mean, they have that bonus, at least make it useful), as they'd be losing all those str points, or on frenzy it does some weird uncap, which its... weird.

I don't know, but what purpose serves capping it to 10? Even though on the pnp game it is actually capped to 10, disciplines don't actually give you stats bonuses, but roll bonuses (like extra success on str actions, for instance), so maybe it would be a good idea to rework those caps?

EDIT: I just revised the walkthrough, and it seems that all those "problem" I'm encountering with the game are, in fact, bugs, as the walkthrough doesn't say otherwise. Also, I don't know if this is the thread for it, but the 1.5 Walkthrough for the Patch 9.5 says that "Bad Monkey No Banana" (Dodge 5) requires research 8, while in game is 9 (in every guide it says 8, so it could be a bug, or an unreported change). Also, it says that obtaining the sarcofagus after killing the Chang Brothers give you 4 XP. It doesn't quite give you 4, it does give you 3, though it could give you 4 with the Saulocet, though that requires that you have 8 on research, which I, for instance, don't have. Not that is a big problem, but I could see someone getting confused about it.

EDIT2: Ok, finished the game. I found that, when under the effects of Protean 5, your character attacks randomly from time to time. It is a weird, single attack, that happens even when feeding, or hacking. Even though it feels cool as first, as it's something like a raging beast, as you will mostly see it happen when you are walking, it "blocks" the character from feeding or attacking for a couple of seconds, and I'm not talking about regular cadence between attacks, but an actual block, that puts you in the situation of being defenseless in front of a werewolf, or another gangrel. You can move, yeah, but not attack or feed.

Also, loved the Sabbat ending. Great work!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:42:07 PM by FrederickVael »

Offline Baskakov_Dima

• Fledgling
« Reply #635 on: April 30, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
Everything worked well with my unofficial patch (last stable version), but recently after I substituted my new savegame folder with my old one the loading screen when I load a game takes looots of time, and if I use task manager, game is not responding and there is totally no way to close it (Terminate process, Alt+F4) don't work.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #636 on: May 01, 2016, 12:24:17 AM »
I fixed few maps. Here is a link to 5 recompiled maps for patch 9.5b (plus version):

Unless you changed something more than with the maps you already send me all these fixes should be in the 9.5 final!

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #637 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:33 AM »
Again, I can just kill jhonny and get my 5xp and what not, but it doesn't seem right. I sneaked to his room with a purpose, it doesnt make sense to just go and kill him.

This is how Troika planned it. You were supposed to get a bonus XP on stealth killing him and the way it is done right now seems the only logical but unreasobable way...

Now, either frenzy gives me +4 to brawl (which I didn't notice before), or to unarmed combat, which means that the cap is limiting gangrels by a lot (you wouldn't be fighting on frenzy most of the time, but I mean, they have that bonus, at least make it useful), as they'd be losing all those str points, or on frenzy it does some weird uncap, which its... weird.

Gangrel get indeed a brawl bonus because originally they got stronger claws than the other clans but we needed these weapon files for restored items. Sadly we can't seem to change hard-coded stat caps...

Also, I don't know if this is the thread for it, but the 1.5 Walkthrough for the Patch 9.5 says that "Bad Monkey No Banana" (Dodge 5) requires research 8, while in game is 9 (in every guide it says 8, so it could be a bug, or an unreported change).

The walkthrough correctly mentions this change in the plus patch related section.

Also, it says that obtaining the sarcofagus after killing the Chang Brothers give you 4 XP. It doesn't quite give you 4, it does give you 3, though it could give you 4 with the Saulocet, though that requires that you have 8 on research, which I, for instance, don't have.

Walkthrough fixed!

EDIT2: Ok, finished the game. I found that, when under the effects of Protean 5, your character attacks randomly from time to time.

Sadly this is needed to get the hopping animation to work. It probably happens when discipline autorenew is turned on...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:39:07 AM by Wesp5 »

Offline FrederickVael

• Fledgling
« Reply #638 on: May 15, 2016, 08:28:40 PM »
So I got some time, and decided to do another run, with a Malkavian. Haven't played one since 2006 or something like that. I doubt that I even installed a patch, or if I did, I did a pretty early version.

I have played for 10 minutes, and run into a bug that forced me to reload, so I came here. The hobo in the tutorial, the one that Jacks tell you to feed from, doesn't appear. He isn't there. As I couldn't advance, I quicksaved, and reloaded, to see if he appeared, but he didn't. I have faced this before, and I remember that he would appear if I reload a saved game BEFORE Jacks ask me to feed from him, but, as I always forget, I'm always in this situation, and have to go back a little.

Also, the whole Environment Sounds thing that gave an echo to NPCs voices persist. I have decided to play the whole run with that thing on for the sake of it, but is clearly annoying. Don't know if there is any solution, but I would love it.

Anyway, the whole "sound" department is a bit messed up. Apart from the whole echo to voices, the environmental sounds are too loud, distracting. Maybe is because I'm too used to no-environmental, but still, the lack of volume control for each type of sound is a shame :( I understand that's hardcoded, so no fix there.

Finally, Malkavian whispers (which I did not remember from my first run) are also a bit too loud, to the point of forcing me to try to understand what the NPCs are saying. Which, on one side, is not a problem because I know the whole game, so I wouldn't lose anything, but for a first timer, or worse, for someone that doesn't use subtitles, it could be a problem. Also, it lose it's... spooky effect, and it becomes confusing, though it makes kind of sense for you to be confusing and distracting... Yeah, it could be alright. I'll give it a try.

PD: A question about the last 2 backgrounds for Malkavians as they are a bit confusing and strange... One says that you are gifted with luck? I imagine that's just something cool to add on the background with no effect on the game, right? And the subtle insanity... Does it means that you don't get Malkavian's dialogs? :O

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #639 on: May 15, 2016, 09:08:04 PM »
The hobo in the tutorial, the one that Jacks tell you to feed from, doesn't appear. He isn't there.

Huh? I never heard of this before. Restarting the game hopefully fixed it...

Also, the whole Environment Sounds thing that gave an echo to NPCs voices persist.

Please open Unofficial_Patch/cfg/autoexec.cfg and add these two lines:
dsp_stereo "1"
dsp_spatial "42"

Finally, Malkavian whispers (which I did not remember from my first run) are also a bit too loud, to the point of forcing me to try to understand what the NPCs are saying.

Sorry, but I can't do something about this, but then you never should play Malkavian the first time and it fits well to their insanity :)!

I imagine that's just something cool to add on the background with no effect on the game, right? And the subtle insanity... Does it means that you don't get Malkavian's dialogs? :O

Yes and no. Troika planned to add something like luck and for the subtle history to use normal dialogue, but they didn't implement it and I don't know how to do either without source code.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:10:18 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline duchU

• Fledgling
« Reply #640 on: May 16, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »
Anyway, the whole "sound" department is a bit messed up. Apart from the whole echo to voices, the environmental sounds are too loud, distracting. Maybe is because I'm too used to no-environmental, but still, the lack of volume control for each type of sound is a shame :( I understand that's hardcoded, so no fix there.

Finally, Malkavian whispers (which I did not remember from my first run) are also a bit too loud, to the point of forcing me to try to understand what the NPCs are saying. Which, on one side, is not a problem because I know the whole game, so I wouldn't lose anything, but for a first timer, or worse, for someone that doesn't use subtitles, it could be a problem. Also, it lose it's... spooky effect, and it becomes confusing, though it makes kind of sense for you to be confusing and distracting... Yeah, it could be alright. I'll give it a try.

In game options there is only a master sound volume control but through console you can change:

- music volume (snd_gain) - if you set this to 0 then you will have no sound but if you manipulate with snd_gain and snd_gain_max then you can have sound much louder than music or the other way - from what I have tested you want to have snd_gain 0.2 at least
- sound volume (snd_gain_max)
- footstep volume (footstep_pc_vol and few more commands - probably for NPCs)
- voice volume (dsp_voice_max and dsp_voice_scalar - you need dsp_on 1 (with dsp_spatial 41 or above for no echo/reverb) for those two to work - also both have to be increased if you want louder voices)

In case of Malkavian whispers you can try Bloodlines Audio Overhaul v2.0 (it includes boosted whispers so you can check what you like more).
Also you can always try to use a sound editor program to normalize sound volume for whispers waves to the level you like.

Note: dsp_on 1 = Environmental effects enabled in sound menu
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:16:06 AM by duchU »

Offline TheIncredibleKraken

• Fledgling
« Reply #641 on: July 01, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »
This is slightly disturbing.

Marked as best answer by on December 11, 2019, 03:59:03 PM

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #642 on: July 01, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
  • Undo Best Answer
  • I don't know if this has been reported already but I have attached some screenshots of the issues I have had with confession. Also the dancers don't seem to want to dance anymore same in Asylum haven't got up to Glaze yet. I have also had issues of Select Icons (like the one for talking for but not the one for talking) where it appears as the completely wrong symbol. I am on the latest Unoffical patch and have wistensed these issues even after go off and back on again as well as on separate days. Also Becket's first line from the Warehouse has no audio and I have noticed this on at least two playthroughs. Don't worry about the HUD I made a few changes to it.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
    • Antediluvian
    • Unofficial Patcher
    « Reply #643 on: July 01, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »
    I don't know if this has been reported already but I have attached some screenshots of the issues I have had with confession.

These look like areaportal issues. Have you recompiled the map somehow or switched between old and new versions?

Also the dancers don't seem to want to dance anymore same in Asylum haven't got up to Glaze yet.

This could be due to a corrupt ain file. Remove the one for sm_asylum_1 in the graphs folder.

I have also had issues of Select Icons (like the one for talking for but not the one for talking) where it appears as the completely wrong symbol. I am on the latest Unoffical patch and have wistensed these issues even after go off and back on again as well as on separate days. Also Becket's first line from the Warehouse has no audio and I have noticed this on at least two playthroughs.

I never heard of these problems before. Have you tested Beckett's first line outside of the game yet?

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #644 on: July 01, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »
    These look like areaportal issues. Have you recompiled the map somehow or switched between old and new versions?

Not as far as I know

This could be due to a corrupt ain file. Remove the one for sm_asylum_1 in the graphs folder.

Tried deleting the ain files for asylum and Confesssion in the Unoffical Patch files and it didn't fix anything. Do I need to do the same for the Defualt and should I delete loc files too?

I never heard of these problems before. Have you tested Beckett's first line outside of the game yet?
    No I haven't properly gonna need to dig it out one of the Pak files. Test as in play it?
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:18:58 PM by The Shadow Man »