collapse

Author Topic: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions  (Read 141161 times)

Offline Tullius

• Fledgling
Re: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions
« Reply #525 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
What file do you have to edit to add more disciplines?

Offline Michael

• Methuselah
« Reply #526 on: July 29, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »
What file do you have to edit to add more disciplines?
Go to your Bloodlines installation directory, then "Vampire\vdata\system" and open up clandoc0000.txt, scroll down to the clan you want, find its Disciplines section and change them to the ones you like. I'd suggest you make a backup of the file before editing it.
You can also use the console to do that by writing "vstats get <discipline_name> <value>". You can use celerity, thaumaturgy, fortitude, dementation etc and then write 1 or another value (I think the max value is 5).
As Malkav said before, you can have 3 more disciplines for each player character.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:32:14 PM by Michael »

Offline GlassDeviant

• Neonate
« Reply #527 on: July 29, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
I had 8 working, I could even add points to any of them, but they were a bit awkward to click on. I don't know how that would affect scripts, but who knows, eh?

I am backing up my computer right now in preparation for a reformat, so I haven't been able to test a fresh install without any of my changes to clandoc0000.txt. It may even be whatever has gotten into my system that is causing the problems I am experiencing. Not the sort of thing you usually experience from malware, but you never know.

Offline GlassDeviant

• Neonate
« Reply #528 on: July 31, 2014, 04:15:37 AM »
Clean computer, clean install from disks, updated to official 1.2 then unofficial 9.0, no changes to clandoc000.txt and...exactly the same results down to the very last minute detail.

No guard in Skyeline Apts. lobby.
No Simon Milligan.
No Paul the Ghoul.
No clue about Hannah as the old door code doesn't work, either because someone changed it or because the quest hasn't been advanced to the right stage by listening to the nonexistent answering machine message.
No answering machine messages.
No way to progress any of the downtown quests except Parkade>Confession>Boris.

However, a duplicate install in a different folder with 8.8, everything works as it always has before.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #529 on: July 31, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
Your description suggests a corrupted skyeline map file in your 9.0 download.
So try using the 8.8 Skyeline map for 9.0. I don't trhink there are that many changes in this map file.  Replace the skyeline.bsp file in the maps directory and delete the skyeline files in the graphs subdirectory.
BTW, there is no need to install the official 1.2 patch. It is included in Wesps patch and all the major mods.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline GlassDeviant

• Neonate
« Reply #530 on: August 02, 2014, 03:45:17 AM »
I'll give that a try, thanks.

Edit: What can I open the archive with? 7zip refuses to open it.

Edit: nvm, figured a way to work it.

Edit: I don't seem to have a skyeline.bsp file, either in the 8.8 installer or in the game directory; is it inside another file? Or is it the la_skyline_1.bsp file? (about 5.15mb, in the Vampire/maps directory)

Edit: I'm going to try that file and see what explodes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:54:45 AM by GlassDeviant »

Offline GlassDeviant

• Neonate
« Reply #531 on: August 02, 2014, 04:00:39 AM »
No effect on a previously saved game (saved before entering Skyeline for the first time), so I am going to start a new game and see if that makes a difference.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #532 on: August 02, 2014, 08:24:43 AM »
Yep, It is la_skyline_1.bsp. I#ve written from memory so I didn't have the right name in mind. Have you also deleted the correspondent files in the graphs subdirectory and used a save before your first visit to the skyeline building?

If all this doesn't help, I'm out of ideas. Then maybe you should redownload the patch and try a new install.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline GlassDeviant

• Neonate
« Reply #533 on: August 02, 2014, 11:30:50 AM »
I've uninstalled, reinstalled and patched to the old 8.8 copy I had before and now am even more frustrated. Skyeline was fine (more or less), but now I am locked in Grouts bedroom with no way out. Going to take a day or two break from this.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #534 on: August 02, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
You should never use the saved games of different patches. As soon as a level has been changed, the game will get messed up!

Offline GlassDeviant

• Neonate
« Reply #535 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:23 AM »
I don't, usually, but when I am just changing one file I will try it to see if I can get away with it. Usually, it's no, but I've managed on occasion to get it to work.

Anyway, it seems I wasn't able to remove whatever infection was in my computer, so I am doing a clean reinstall to a completely new (right out of the cello) motherboard and hard drive, just to make sure something hasn't gotten into the firmware.

I don't know if this will solve my VtMB problems, but the machine needs it anyway.

Offline QUAKE

• Fledgling
Changing Level of Detail & Draw Distance:
« Reply #536 on: August 06, 2014, 02:56:33 AM »

Force the game to fade in at a shorter distance, so the player won't see objects fading in from thin air.
The 2 commands are:
cl_detaildist and cl_detailfade
What they do is demonstrated here:
http://youtu.be/azkQtj4SiVU

The difference is quite noticeable:
 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75258/SHARE/VtmB/cl_dist%20600.png
 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75258/SHARE/VtmB/cl_dist%201600.png

The fix to force the game to always use the highest setting is to add this to your autoexec.cfg:
Code: [Select]
//increases draw distance, eliminates fade, so no clipping bugs
cl_detaildist 1400
cl_detailfade 0

//walk forward key executes this autoexec.cfg Why? Because the game ignores some values listed here on startup
//like the lovely cl_detaildist and cl_detailfade values above
//just change the key to your own if it's not "w" to walk forward here, because this will overwrite your keybinds
alias walk_pressed "exec autoexec.cfg; +forward"
alias walk_released "-forward"
alias +walk_n_load walk_pressed
alias -walk_n_load walk_released
bind w +walk_n_load
I wish there was a more elegant way to do this than adding it to the walk key, if you have a suggestion please let me know!

Now for the geometry, I need help.

I'm trying to force the game to use higher geometry models from a longer distance, to avoid the "pop in" effect. It's not too distracting on NPCs, because they're already moving/animated, but on non-moving objects it's really distracting.

Example:
http://youtu.be/17-NoigFL9Y

LOD (geometry)
It ranges from r_lod -8 (higher quality) to r_lod 8
The traditional source console commands are r_lod 0 to completely disable LOD and always use the highest poly model.
This doesn't seem to work or do anything in VtMB
There are other commands like:
lod_TransitionDist and lod_Enable, nothing seems to work.

some details: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/LOD_Models

Do any console commands work? Are the models a part of the maps itself? Are the values hardcoded and the exe needs to be modified with a hex editor? Is there a .QC file to force all lods to use highest poly model instead?

Offline KaziK

• Fledgling
« Reply #537 on: August 06, 2014, 04:14:12 AM »
Anyone else have stuttering sound in dialogues? Every dialogue pause on the start for about second or repeat first second. It's really annoying. I've read about it and tested changing core affinity, disabling high quality audio and enviromental effects. Nothing helped.

Offline QUAKE

• Fledgling
« Reply #538 on: August 06, 2014, 04:29:24 AM »
Anyone else have stuttering sound in dialogues? Every dialogue pause on the start for about second or repeat first second. It's really annoying. I've read about it and tested changing core affinity, disabling high quality audio and enviromental effects. Nothing helped.

try adding:
Code: [Select]
snd_mixahead 0.35
snd_surround 1
snd_gain 2.2
snd_gain_max 1.58
dsp_on 1
dsp_spatial 73
dsp_stereo 1
dsp_dist_max 9999
hisound 1
footstep_pc_vol 0.31