collapse

Author Topic: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions  (Read 143798 times)

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
Re: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions
« Reply #435 on: October 04, 2012, 01:52:41 PM »
Hi  Axoc, welcome to the forum.
I can't help you with the Heather problem as I have never used comp mod or cqm with comp.

For the safes, that seems to be another case of the famous "floating furniture" random bug. It's well known, but nobody knows how to fix it. Usually going back to a previous save or quitting the game and restarting helps.
Admittedly, safes are new. Usually there are chairs, kitchen sinks, or shoals of fish... :smile:
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline fluffyheretic

• fatbird
  • Fledgling
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #436 on: December 09, 2012, 03:23:35 AM »
Greetings all, I've returned to Bloodlines after ~3 years and was very pleased to see how far the unofficial patch has come along. The library level is cool (though Andrei is tough and the Chang Blade brother kicks my ass with that new sword), and it appears the coronas showing through walls bug has been resolved as well. Awesome!

I used to post random nitpicks on the old forum, so without further ado...

* I noticed the tutorial text in the stealth-kill segment still says something about using the Use/E key to perform a stealth kill, and the Attack/LMB at higher stealth levels. This always struck me as odd because to the best of my knowledge both buttons work equally well to perform a stealth kill regardless of the character's stealth level.

* With regard to the Romero quests in the cemetary, the patch readme and the included walkthrough both suggest that in the Plus patch you can still do the Pimpin' quest after keeping the zombies contained, but I've tried this with two different characters now on the latest 8.4+ and can't get the option to do Pimpin' after the zombie quest. Usually Romero just vanishes after the quest, unless the PC is female and fornicates with the Kine (SO UNCLEAN) and then he just sticks around as a blood doll; still no pimpin' quest. EDIT: just to make sure I checked the autosave where I did the zombie quest and then had sex with Romero immediately afterward, and he's vanished in that case as well.

* After the Elizabethan Rendevous and getting the key to the Skyline haven from Lacroix, it seems a teensy bit odd for Heather to already know where your new apartment is before you've even set foot in it... I may be mistaken but I seem to recall she would show up either a bit sooner or later in the official 1.2 patch. Furthermore, considering the first dialogue with her in the haven suggests that the apartment is crummy (she calls your apartment 'nice' after a long pause, and your responses are things like 'I didn't decorate it' 'if you don't like it you can leave') and a place as swank and spacious as the Skyline apt would cost a small fortune in L.A. ... it seems like she should show up before the player can get the Skyline haven.

That's enough for now. Great work on the UP Wesp and all other contributors!

... ok, can't resist pointing out the top of the cab says Off Duty... almost as if the player is the only fare the cabbie cares about.  :chinscratch:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:04:58 AM by fluffyheretic »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #437 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »
The library level is cool (though Andrei is tough and the Chang Blade brother kicks my ass with that new sword)

The latter was a mistake from my side and will be fixed in the next patch update.

This always struck me as odd because to the best of my knowledge both buttons work equally well to perform a stealth kill regardless of the character's stealth level.

As far as I remember at higher levels only one of them works without breaking Obfuscate.

I checked the autosave where I did the zombie quest and then had sex with Romero immediately afterward, and he's vanished in that case as well.

Yeah, that is another bug in 8.4.2 which I have already fixed.

After the Elizabethan Rendevous and getting the key to the Skyline haven from Lacroix, it seems a teensy bit odd for Heather to already know where your new apartment is before you've even set foot in it...

I haven't changed that in the patch, but I always assumed after meeting you at the tower, Heather got the apartment location out of Chunk. He certainly wouldn't be able to resist her charm ;).

...almost as if the player is the only fare the cabbie cares about.

Which probably is true, after all the whole plot was his idea!

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #438 on: December 10, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
About Heather. What strikes me a bit odd since the meeting is set after you come out of the tower is this: Even when you run strait to the skylines haven when the dialog is done, she's already there waiting for you.

For stealth attacks breaking obfuscate, I'm not sure right now, but I think the "use" key will break obfuscate unless you have level 5. The attack key always works, and if I recall right it doesn't even break obfuscate 2.

Is it really THAT cabbie all the time? Then why can't Nossies use the cab before the bloodhunt? And I think once I got a masquerade violation for feeding even though the cabbie was the only person who could have seen me.

Offline fluffyheretic

• fatbird
  • Fledgling
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #439 on: December 10, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
As for the cabbie, 'Caine' definitely has a thicker accent than the normal one. Course if he's really the father of all vampires then I reckon he's lived long enough to perfect his accents... they certainly do look the same.

Otherwise, maybe the regular cabbie is in the Prince's employ and just sits around on retainer (with the 'Off Duty' sign on) until the player needs to go somewhere? Seems reasonable.

Next time I play a character with Obfuscate I'll definitely look into those stealth kills some more.

I had a question about an email that I don't think warrants making a new topic. Isn't there some spam mail somewhere that talks about the Celebrity Database in the Ground 0 cafe? Could've sworn I saw it on my last character, but I'm doing Isaac's quest now and can't find that bloody (haha) mail for the life (haha) of me. I kind of want my character to see it before she 'knows' about the database...   :razz:

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53:44 AM »
About Heather. What strikes me a bit odd since the meeting is set after you come out of the tower is this: Even when you run strait to the skylines haven when the dialog is done, she's already there waiting for you.

Maybe I should consider making her appear a little bit latter there, at least in the plus patch?

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
fluffyheretic,
I don't think there is a mail like you mentioned. But on the other hand you're also not supposed to know which computer is the one with the "Kafka" account. So in theory your character has to look into every computer in the cafe to find the one with your email. However, it's not a bad idea to draw the attention to this computer once you are in the internet cafe. Maybe a spam mail from the owners on every computer there. Or some sign at the wall...

Wesp,
making her appear a bit later is a good idea for the plus patch. In base no changes are necessary because there you still meet her before going up to the prince, and with any luck obtaining the new haven.

Offline Draco Alivi

• Ancillus
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »

Maybe I should consider making her appear a little bit latter there, at least in the plus patch?

Or maybe could it be arranged that you tell her to go to your new haven (If you get it), and once there you don't get the "Your house is...nice" option (Or you can change your dialoge options to something more suitable to the new place). Making her appear before could be a good option too. Any idea where?

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #443 on: December 11, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
In base no changes are necessary because there you still meet her before going up to the prince, and with any luck obtaining the new haven.

There are two issues with that: 1) I think I forgot to make that change plus only so you will meet her after meeting the Prince in basic too. Someone please remind me why I changed meeting her to coming out of the tower again? 2) you could take the cab to your old haven and she would still be there before you which makes no sense. Right now I make her appear at Story State 20 and moved one starting line of hers to 25 which was unused anyway.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:29:18 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline fluffyheretic

• fatbird
  • Fledgling
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #444 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
fluffyheretic,
I don't think there is a mail like you mentioned.

Man, I must be losing it then if I'm starting to make up mails that don't exist. I was so certain I'd seen something like that, kind of like an ad for maps to the stars... I guess maybe I was really thinking about the Kilpatrick Krime-puter spam and somehow got the Celeb Database mixed up in there after too many straight hours of playing this game. Maybe just too much time in Grout's mansion...

Oh well, thanks anyway!  :cometome:

Oh, and as for Heather, I think that dialogue where she calls your place 'nice' in an unsure tone, is also the same one where you first tell her that you're a vampire (if that helps), and I think the 2nd response was something like 'it's not much, but it's home'. Heather is so cute when she does her vampire impression... "like, bleh, bleh!"

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #445 on: December 12, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
Werner,
if I recall right, you changed it because you thought it illogical that she could turn up in the downtown haven when at the time you met her, you didn't even know that you might get it.
For her being in the old haven before you, I don't see it that as much as a problem. Her cab could have got through the traffic faster than yours. But when you head strait to skyline and take the elevator directly to the 4th floor, you can plainly see that she can't get there before you.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #446 on: December 12, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
If I recall right, you changed it because you thought it illogical that she could turn up in the downtown haven when at the time you met her, you didn't even know that you might get it.

Ah, I remember now. In that case it's a bug fix and belongs into basic anyway ;)!

For her being in the old haven before you, I don't see it that as much as a problem.

It's still rather illogical. Any other ideas instead of using the story states for this?

Offline Maxus Corvin

• Methuselah
  • As of yet, only half evil...
« Reply #447 on: December 13, 2012, 03:11:03 AM »
Werner,
if I recall right, you changed it because you thought it illogical that she could turn up in the downtown haven when at the time you met her, you didn't even know that you might get it.

I think I suggested the change, my own rational being that, if you see her before the dane(i.e before you have any chance of getting the Skyline Haven), she would go off to Santa Moncia, likely find out somehow that you aren't living there, and have to go back downtown.

It's still rather illogical. Any other ideas instead of using the story states for this?

As for her appearance in the haven itself, it might be a bit illogical that she can get there before you(especially if she doesn't walk toward the apartments), and perhaps it might make a bit more sense if she only appears there if you would enter another area first, or if she appears in the haven after Grout's mansion. Although this might create the confusion that has people thinking she is supposed to be there,  and she isn't. 

Another option to have it make more sense as it currently is, would be to have a line for the pc "Go straight there, alright?", and she would run to the building. It might be more suited for a mod though, rather than the UP.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #448 on: December 13, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
...it might make a bit more sense if she only appears there if you would enter another area first, or if she appears in the haven after Grout's mansion. Although this might create the confusion that has people thinking she is supposed to be there,  and she isn't.

This is how I have fixed it right now. I don't really care about people missing her, but rather that you could miss her first lines if you went to the haven not after each story state. But that can easily happen anyway...

Another option to have it make more sense as it currently is, would be to have a line for the pc "Go straight there, alright?", and she would run to the building.

Some smart people here would then run along side her to discover that she somehow teleports right to your flat ;)!

Offline fluffyheretic

• fatbird
  • Fledgling
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #449 on: February 06, 2013, 02:57:41 AM »
One minor issue with quest log updates when speaking with Isaac:

If you go ahead and pick up the tape without first asking him about Ginger Swans, then instead of handing it over straightaway, pick the second option and say the guy didn't have it, you get another quest log update overriding the previous one for that mission, making it appear as if you still haven't picked up the tape in the quest log. Course that is only a 'problem' until you actually do hand him the tape... hey, I said it was minor!

Now I better take a break from this game. 4 playthroughs is enough for one patch version, I think.  :razz: