collapse

Author Topic: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions  (Read 141020 times)

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Bug reports, Issues and Solutions
« Reply #555 on: November 24, 2014, 07:57:16 PM »
I don't think I touched this in either patch.
Any ideas then, seems weird it would affect one and not the other.

Is this reproducable?

For Heather, I would just leave it as is for the Basic Patch - if it's not a bug I don't see the problem.

For me it's a bug because it is a fourth wall breaking immersion killer...

Either that or you could change it for something a little less bombastic - "Maybe my blood can save you..." with the "..." letting the player know that a course of action is going to be taken.

...but I like your version better, so I will use that in the next patch :)!

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
night at the library bug +
« Reply #556 on: November 30, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »
hi,

first, environment:
intel core i7 920, 16gb patriot ram, radeon hd 6870
windows 7 x64
running the steam version + up9.2 plus + lots of skins and textures but NO mods

1. this one is priority for me as this is my first walkthrough with up and i really dont want to miss this level.
i cant 'use' the hatch at access point e to reach the library in downtown sewers. there is no 'exit' icon or anything there - only the hatch sits there laughing at me.

tried to:
- exit and reenter the sewers
- go back to an earlier save
- look through downtown sewers maybe the 'access e' sign is wrong and its actually somewhere else
- exit downtown, reenter downtwon, go to the sewers
- look up videos on youtube and i saw that people managed to enter the new level without problems, no tricks there (until then i wast sure wether i should open, lockpick or 'exit')
- restore a backup which i created before starting the game, this one only contains the game + up9.2 plus, copied the saves, ran the game, loaded save successfully
...to no avail.

2. id like this one to work too but im hopeful that this topic would help me out.
https://forums.planetvampire.com/?topic=6562.0
basically after moving theres no heather.
im tremere, just finished the gargoyle quest, reported to strauss who invited me to the chantry. i also choose the dialog option concerning my 'friend' to which he responded disapprovingly but he allowed it. i could entry my chantry room (no heather), i had to go to santa monica anyway (julius and carnival quests), i thought maybe i had to tell her to move like in skyrim. well, no heather in santa monica haven either.
we are after she brought home that annoying guy to feed on.

3. absolutely no priority
im not really sure whether this is a new bug or old one (vanilla or up) but pedestrians teleport from one place to another - a few feet only. its more funny than annoying, it mostly (always?) happens when i exit a building. it might be a correct placement thing, i dont know.

otherwise the game with the up works great so far - this is my 4th walkthrough and the last before this was at least 5 years ago but i can still remember enough to appreciate the reconstructed content.

anyway, thanks for your work
and for any hints concerning my problems (mainly the library one)

g
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:38:52 AM by galocza »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: night at the library bug +
« Reply #557 on: November 30, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
i cant 'use' the hatch at access point e to reach the library in downtown sewers.

Have you gotten Beckett's email about it yet? Otherwise this hatch will be locked.

basically after moving theres no heather.

Sorry, I never heard that before. Vladdmaster, are you reading this? Could this be due to your tampering with Heather's clothes?

im not really sure whether this is a new bug or old one (vanilla or up) but pedestrians teleport from one place to another

That is a known random problem that I have no idea on how to fix. The basically move to their starting positions on map reload.

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #558 on: November 30, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
thanks for your quick reply.

-yes, ive read becketts email - but ill check that anyway, there was some returning to earlier save. boy would i be embarrassed...
-it might be. from where should i try again with the clean vanilla+up backup? start of gargoyle quest? ill do that anyway and report back.
-it really douesnt matter, i just thought id mention it.

Offline Michael

• Methuselah
« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »
Have you tried this to fix the missing Heather glitch?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:02:41 AM by Michael »

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »
i didnt think. of course ive read becketts letter, i had the quest in the log 8).
anyway, just to make sure i reread it both at the chantry and at the santa monica haven.
no luck.
i have a question: do the saves also contain information about my aesthetic additions? because although i tried to enter the library level using my restored vanilla+up only backup, my saves were from a the time when playing with these additions.

tried heather again with my vanilla+up backup, i had a save from just after getting the quest. first i
1. checked heather in santa monica (she was there)
2. went to strauss to talk about gargoyles
3. killed the gargoyle
4. went back to strauss, got invited to the chantry, accepted, mentioned my 'friend' as before (no heather in the chantry)
5. checked heather in santa monica (no heather in santa monica)

second,
1a. put some items into both the fridge (2 types of blood) and drawers (2 types of watch)
4a. also checked whether the items were transferred - no items (or heather) in the chantry
5a. also checked the items in santa monica - the items stayed there although i already had access to the chantry (no heather either)

+i also had some naive ideas
-tried the skynine apartments, forgot i dont have access to them from the vents 8(.
-i thought maybe vvs poster is to fault as i completed the b-writer quest but i found a save where i had access to the chantry (without heather oc) but havent reported to vv yet about the quest (and so didnt get the poster)
-btw even after reporting back to vv about the writer quest theres no vv poster in neither the chantry nor the sm haven. im not sure these are connected with heather. still, strange.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:25:40 PM by galocza »

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #561 on: November 30, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
Have you tried this to fix the missing Heather glitch?

thanks for your reply,
as i wrote in the first post i was yet to try that fix. now i did and it worked great as i hoped it would - the guy asking for help in that topic had the same exact problem as me.

still, im not sure why there isnt any vv posters in either havens or why werent the stuff from the sm haven transferred. maybe they shouldnt, just strauss says so. its been a long time i last played vtmb, i really dont remember how this worked. maybe i had to move my things to the new haven (i always used skyline before, this is my first tremere game).

OH CRAP i forgot that you dont get vv poster in up plus. SORRY.
i will not be kidnapped for my brain, that seems certain.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:30:32 PM by galocza »

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #562 on: November 30, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »
i made a short video to demonstrate (sorry about the size). also uploaded the result of dir /L /ON /S > vtmbdir.txt so you can verify that it came from a clean vanilla+up installation.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3gsgh2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3n4qmf

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #563 on: November 30, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
found another fun one, it really doesnt cause problems (except for the loss of loot), and im not sure whether its from the vanilla or up.
at the end of the saving ash quest when encountering the last two hunters ash catches up with me the quest ends successfully and im 'teleported' back to nhe normal sewers.
-once both hunters were alive at the end
-once i choose melee and was close to the hunters, i killed only one of them when the mission ended
-in the video i played ranged, 1 down, 1 alive when the mission ended
https://www.sendspace.com/file/mzoewf

oh, and theres a graphic glitch behind the hunters at the end of the tunnel, but you cant see on this video. no biggie though.

ps: how annoying exactly is these posts of mine on a scale 1-10? are they welcome? frowned upon?

Offline vladdmaster

• Fledgling
Re: night at the library bug +
« Reply #564 on: November 30, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »
Sorry, I never heard that before. Vladdmaster, are you reading this? Could this be due to your tampering with Heather's clothes?
It's not related to Heather skin fixes.
i made a short video to demonstrate (sorry about the size). also uploaded the result of dir /L /ON /S > vtmbdir.txt so you can verify that it came from a clean vanilla+up installation.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3gsgh2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3n4qmf
Thanks for posting the contents of your VtMB with UP9.2 folder. From there I can see that you don't have compiled downtown.py in python downtown folder (together with some other python files that should be compiled by that time you reached library/hollywood parts of the game). Since there is no downtown.pyc file, game can't trigger the library and properly give you access to the Tremere chantry. You can try recompiling that python file, then reload the game, it should do the trick.

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #565 on: November 30, 2014, 11:00:08 PM »
thank you for your reply.
i understood that im missing a file (several actually), nothing much more. i know that python is a programming language - although what has it do with vtmb eludes me... 8) also compiling is something mythical to me. im stuck at 10 "hello world!" 20 goto 10.
when should have been these files compiled? at installing the game/up? or while playing, in the background? how should i even start to recompile these and how would i know which files to compile? will this happen again?

thanks,
g

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #566 on: December 01, 2014, 03:44:52 AM »
ok, i couldnt sleep (for different reasons) and thought id investigate these py/pyc files.
there might be some problems with your theory.

here is how it all went down:
1. installed vtmb and up
2. i started playing
3. then i thought why not make it pretty? i looked up and downloaded and selected quite a few textures etc.
4. made a backup of my vtmb directory. to this i will refer to as 'vup' (as vtmb+up)
5. copied all the graphics stuff onto vup. to this i will refer to as 'pretty'
6. problems started to arise.
7. i made a backup of my pretty directory
8. when i tried things (or you asked something) i deleted the pretty dir, restored vup backup, copied over saves and used vup for tests (however it behaved exactly as pretty!). i had no idea about py/pyc files. as i mentioned - but not emphasized enough - before i used savefiles as interchangeable in both installations.

AND whats interesting is i have both downtown.py and .pyc in my pretty downtown directory - and the problems started with that.
i also thought that maybe the problem was that i switched from vup to pretty in the middle of a walkthrough. but when that happened i didnt even leave santa monica yet (i checked file timestamps and saves) so the change has nothing to do with downtown id think.

i have uploaded the contents of both vup and pretty downtown directories, maybe theyll help. i noticed that the downtown.py files are different. the pretty version seems to to have came from GothicSeraphims 'Chantry Redid'.
is it possible that this interfered with my game? i have also uploaded the dir of the pretty installation (the one uploaded before was vup).

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/oggrkv8g4xhDp1YSJxGyxzmRxA6IiQ5Q
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 03:48:03 AM by galocza »

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #567 on: December 01, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
good news.
i copied the vup downtown.py onto my pretty installation (which contained GothicSeraphims version).
first when i checked nothing happened, but i played today and had to go to downtown and thought to check again - and the hatch works.

it seems clear now that i messed up my installation with the chantry addon, a good lesson for me.
maybe all will be ok from now on, and if not i know where the error was. i only entered the library but so far so good and thats whats most important. i appreciate all the reconstructed content ive never seen/heard before but i was especially curious about the library. and im old and not sure if another playthrough of vtmb will ever fit into my lifetime, doesnt matter how much i love this game (top 5 all time).

thank you for all your time, im sorry to have taken up so much - on the other hand without your help i would have never realize where the problem was.

wish you all the best,
g

ps: btw GothicSeraphim clearly states that his addon may interfere with another mods and PATCHES but somebody did not take the time to read the readme. so its completely my fault.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:17:29 PM by galocza »

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #568 on: December 03, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
Hi,
first NEVER use save files from a different insallation of the game. That's where the problems start...

What Python has to do with bloodlines? Well, it's the programming language used for scripting in bloodlines. Usually the game compiles the python scripts on map load if necessary. It is considered necesary if no pyc file exists, or if the date flag of the py is newer than tthe pyc. So whenever you start jugling files, your best bet is to delete all the pyc files. then you can be sure that the scripts get compiled.

I have never used Gothic Seraphim's stuff because I don't like his style, but I have no idea why it should interfere with anything but other graphic mods.
In any case, if something claims to change only some graphics, then there must be only a \materials\ and maybe a \models\ directory in the package. if there is anything else, be careful.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline galocza

• Fledgling
« Reply #569 on: December 03, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
thanks for the good advice, it will come handy as im more and more positive that whatever i wrote before, vtmb and me - not the last time we met 8). i remembered major features and how i liked it, but still i forgot the little nuances and how well fit together as a whole, and how great it was.

im almost at the end, going for xiaos head without much problems thanks to you, good people here.
i managed to get heather killed but seems that i turned her into a vamp because she waited for me at the hotel afterwards 8). im sure it was beacuse of the console hotfix or my meddlig with the saves or both.

however there are a few things id like to mention. you may discard them of course if they are intentional or supposed to be caused by my messed up installation.
1. there werent tawny/imalia/driving posters in the chantry. once i saw all posters in santa monica, but after that not even there.
2. i got no xp for rescuing ash from the hunter caverns. i tried 3 times once not even speaking to him before and lockpicking the cell lock, once chatting a bit before lockpicking, and once chatting + key. no xp.
3. blood stikre and blood theft seemed to behave strangely. maybe its intentional but blood theft didnt bring back blood when the victim was killed only when damaged. both blood theft and blood strike behaved erratically in the hollowbrook hotel, sometimes they worked on sabbat but mostly didnt (basic gunman, warform, bluehands), they did damage but didnt bring back blood. they worked on hooded humans ok. i know blood stike worked against the chang brothers and bruno giovanni without fail, i didnt have blood theft then.
4. in hollowbrook hotel pistol shots sounded from wrong direction. checked the headphones, they were the right side on. 8)
5. i didnt get the swat rifle and dragon breath from mercurio. i got the flamer and spas though. it might have to do how ammo is handled: i had ammo for both (but not for the flamer or spas) so mercurio - even if he talked about them - never had them in his inventory.
6. in sta monica haven right after jack took me there from griffith park, in the radio the butter ad sounded 2x in a row. if its random, well that happens. if a predefined sequence, this might be... well i wouldnt even call it a bug.
7. im not sure about this but i seem to remember having fed on vampires while being on the worse end of the blood hunt on previous walkthroughs. it isnt a gameplay problem but it gives a certain satisfaction, diablerize those sent after you - even if you dont even need the blood.
8. i hadf problems sneaking in the temple garden in chinatown (had stealth 5) i bought 2 points more stealth - and enemies seemed to notice me more. im not sure but i think that a stealth of 7 should have been more than enough there in the dark.

thats all, thank you for all your good work and all the help i got here,
g
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:31:46 PM by galocza »