collapse

Author Topic: 100% multicore usage?  (Read 76 times)

Offline Acleacius

• Antediluvian
100% multicore usage?
« on: July 12, 2019, 02:54:57 AM »
I've noticed a really odd problem. When I start Bloodlines it causes my 8 cores to max out at 100% usage. First I thought some malware, then a possible problem with a mod and finally uninstalled it out of fear of corruption. Then with a fresh install (deleted my Bloodlines folder in Steam) and no mods, it still happened. The CPUs continue maxing out after Bloodlines is closed/ended. I checked my Task Manager in Win 7 and saw a Rundll32 using a massive amount of CPU power. Right clicked, then closed the Rundll32 and the CPU usage returned to normal.

WTH? :facepalm:

Thanks for any tips. 

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: 100% multicore usage?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:37:23 AM »
I had this recently with the Steam version of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I googled a lot and the solution was to rename or delete the file gameux.dll in the windows/sysWOW64 folder! Of course it should have been Steam's job to remove access to that from their version, but as always they didn't care that they are selling a game that will not run on modern systems ...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:38:55 AM by Wesp5 »
Winner Winner x 1 View List

Offline Acleacius

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »
Thanks! It wouldn't let me rename it without permission from Trusted Installer (wth) even though I am, full admin. So I googled a bit more and found another solution to change the Registry Key.

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\GameUX\ServiceLocation and change the server address contained in the "Games" chain value to 127.0.0.1 or localhost (do a backup first if you wish). "

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/old_games_not_launching_and_eating_100_of_the_cpu_on_windows_7/page1

//I can't seem to find emotes and quotes. I'm not running any Ad or Script Blocks.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
Thanks! It wouldn't let me rename it without permission from Trusted Installer (wth) even though I am, full admin.

You can get ownership of the file and then change it, but your version is fine too!

//I can't seem to find emotes and quotes. I'm not running any Ad or Script Blocks.

Maybe tell samspin about this. I think he did an update to the site...