collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines on Source 2  (Read 751 times)

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines on Source 2
« on: September 12, 2021, 09:30:39 pm »
More than a month ago I've started porting Bloodlines maps and assets into Source 2 on and off, which started out as mostly a VR experiment in Half-Life: Alyx.

Initially, when first porting the maps, I've noticed that the textures didn't scale properly and they had to be manually scaled and aligned. Luckily, I found a way to solve this issue. Source 2 has an implemented support for importing Source 1 assets properly into Source 2. They used this on their official titles when porting them to S2, such as Dota 2, Half-Life 2 assets, Left 4 Dead 2 and other unannounced projects. This results in Hammer importing the materials with the proper scales on brushes.
For those who never used Hammer 2, the concepts of brushes are kind of gone. And by that I mean, everything is a mesh. Static and dynamic props are still their own entities, but brushes now are being converted to meshes. Since it doesn't use BSP as the structure, we have more freedom on creating levels like never before. The map size is far greater than Source 1, allowing for instance, hub maps combined with the inner maps to have a continuous playthrough. Another major change is that you can have prefabs instances to create the map. What this means that, you can have the diner map as a separate map and the main hub map would have it recognized as part of the map. This adds a much easier workflow when working with bigger maps.
The biggest issue with Half-Life: Alyx is that it doesn't come with a source code SDK. Luckily, there's an alternative. That'd be S&box, a Garry's Mod successor built on Source 2, that enables creating new code without a traditional source code SDK. It allows you to not only create new gameplay code and other assets such as animation graphs, better UI creation but also lets you to create your own entities. This allowed me to recreate most of the brush entities that are used within the maps. Doors, doorknob, elevator, button props and so on that function the same way as in the original game. I've also started work on recreating the weapons and player animations in code, but there's still a lot of work done. There's a lot of freedom recreating systems. Since it's using C#, we can create new ways to load up system data, like dialogs or other keyvalue data that the game uses.

As most of the porting of assets is done by Source 2 directly, it should be easy to set up a script that requires you to have the original files in order to use the Source 2 port. Sounds and music also can be imported as is, except for maps.

Right now the main focus is to port the maps and improve them. Merge the hub maps, expand the exteriors where required, as I'm doing this for VR purposes. As I'm currently busy with other projects, this will take some time overall. But in the meantime, I'd definitely like to hear suggestions regarding what changes you wish to see, both for modding and for the whole gameplay experience, or even graphical improvements while keeping the original aesthetics as much as possible intact.

Online thewarsend

• Keeper of Elysium
  • Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
Re: Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines on Source 2
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 12:29:22 am »
It is great to finally see this topic and I have so many suggestions...
But first I would like to say, please don't make this for VR only. Currently VR is just a gimmick that not many people can afford and it should only be an afterthought. This should be the new definate version of Bloodlines.

As for my suggestions; Interior maps should always be visible from outside (trough windows) and vice versa. Especially places like Santa Monica Diner and Hollywood Red Spot should have proper windows. NPC's should be able to come and go to these places. It appears this was the original intent of the devs before they separated interior maps. If you merge Red Spot with Hollywood map in original Bloodlines, NPC's do get in, look around and leave freely, which adds a lot more realism. In Bloodlines, there are animations for NPC's sitting on the barstools and booths, but these were not used because how interesting places worked related to NPC collisions, with Source 2 this can be corrected and with NPC's coming in and out of these locations, it could all become livelier than ever.

When player commits a big crime, you can have police vehicles drive to location (like GTA) instead of spawning all of the sudden. And you could make it so that they do not immediately attack the player for small crimes. They could issue a warning first and when player tries to run or attack, then they could start firing.

In many of the maps some stuff such as light switches, wall outlet, wall fixtures and whatnot are just textures/sprites, even though in most cases there is a model for it. Not to mention being able to control these lights, to be able to turn it on or off, would be really cool.

In some maps, some stuff look copied and pasted, editing them a little to fix that would be great. For example, in Santa Monica player haven all bathroom cabinets have the same fallen first shelf. At exactly same angle.
Many of the buildings in hub maps lack doors. This should be rectified.

With Source 2, you have the chance to make hub maps more visually distinct from one another. For example, Santa Monica is bound to be more cloudy, rainy and foggy, while Hollywood should be brighter and more flashy. In the original they did try to do this in some ways but the engine limitation clearly shows. This should all be done while protecting the original design intent of course.

You have already implemented most of the weapons with their animations, but sadly melee weapons lack first person animations, I am not sure if you read my suggestion about it on the SDK Research topic, but if this could be implemented it would be amazing. Also adding additional weapons like I suggested would be incredibly cool.

I had a lot more to add, but it is already 2 am here. So I will come back later.

Finally I would like to say, amazing work so far! Not that I would expect anything less from you.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 07:46:53 am »
There is actually one thing I want to propose. There is a way in Source 2 to bypass the limit not only for weapons (and items) but also for clans and disciplines?
Ideally there could be, in the character selection, another drop down menu which you choose between vanilla, Final Nights, Antitribu and 7 Clans Addon. And all of their different disciplines should be available too  :cheesy:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Entenschreck

• Methuselah
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 09:37:04 am »
Amazing! Alright, let's see...
Animals. I'd love to see animals in the game. Troika wanted to have Dogs and cats in the game at some point, but had to cut them. Maybe crows could be added, too.
Of course this would mean bringing back the Animal Friendship Feat, as well.

First person melee animations and finishing moves. If you open client.dll with a text editor, you can still find the names of finishing move animations. I guess they would've worked like stealth kills. The camera would've switched to third person and your character would've brutally killed the opponent. Judging from the only remaining finishing move left in the game (for the katana in models/shared/male/finishing_moves.mdl), these animations would've been just as cool as the ones for the stealth kills.

Player-animations for targeted disciplines. This can be very tricky to get right. Preventing the player to attack with weapons while using a targeted discipline slows the gameplay down tremendously. I would still love to see animations like they were originally planned for Thaumaturgy. In my opinion powers like Blood Boil would be even more awesome if there was a player-animation for it, as that was clearly intended. It was supposed to make the players feel as if they were the ones actively lifting the victim off the ground while making their blood boil. The same goes for Theft of Vitae (or Blood Theft as it is called in the UP+).

The Sheriff's bat swarm. The Sheriff wasn't originally supposed to be able to teleport. He was supposed to summon a swarm of bats, and then turn into a bat when hit, merging with the swarm. Adimttedly, whether it's teleporting or turning into a bat, in the end the effect is the same, but turning into a bat would've fit the Sheriff much better and I'd love to see it in the game.

Better Protean shapeshifting progression and better claw animations. Originally Troika wanted the War Form to be the shape of a real wolf. They probably cut that because you could't feed in that form, but that problem could be solved by making the player quickly shapeshift back to their human form when attempting to feed.
Additionally, there's an effect called "Fx_Model_Protean4" mentioned in strings_internal.txt. No matter what kind of War Form there is, it would've been cool to show the player character slowly mastering their shapeshifting ability, by turning into increasingly beastial forms with each dot in Protean.
Oh and, well, I think I don't need to explain why I'd like to have better animations for the claws  :smile:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:21:58 pm by Wesp5 »

Online SCO

• Methuselah
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 04:45:24 am »
I hope that whatever script importer is used, it uses python. NOT separate processes glued by the windows command line.

The reason is this: the windows command line doesn't actually work in wine for anything complex. They offloaded most of it for dosbox for crying out loud, it's not like it'll work running windows 32 or 64 programs well.

'Not their business'. So if i want to try for instance, the 'bloodlines sdk' here there are a bunch of functionality that doesn't actually work in wine because of this.
But it would work on a python script running in wine with python installed invoking processes with the processbuilder class (i think).

I still have to use wine (to use the windows programs) so the script is not actually portable (at least if those programs don't get linux builds) but at least it isn't likely to choke up because of unimplemented functionality in some command line bullshit. And it could be made portable if the process dependencies are kept to the minimum that is likely to be portable and you interact with the file system through good python apis, not string with '/' on it bullshit.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:51:21 am by SCO »

Online SCO

• Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 04:59:25 am »
There is actually one thing I want to propose. There is a way in Source 2 to bypass the limit not only for weapons (and items) but also for clans and disciplines?
Ideally there could be, in the character selection, another drop down menu which you choose between vanilla, Final Nights, Antitribu and 7 Clans Addon. And all of their different disciplines should be available too  :cheesy:
It would be better to extend the dialog and vclan system so that new clans can be added and 'reserved' by the community.
I'll say it honestly, this is kind of going to be probably too hard to do well for amateurs. Because the clans touch the disciplines the prices of the dots, the AI and a bunch of other complex things, so making it so that this is usable and extensible later seems difficult. The original is already hard enough when you make a new discipline.

And all the social disciplines and histories in the current code for the mods are full of python hacks where one discipline 'appropriates' another place, so the idea that it would be possible to 'just add clans' to the main game as a mod (like you can on games like the elder scrolls series), requires better fileformats, which would complicate the transition scripts.

I'm still pretty pissed off that subtly insane doesn't actually work as intended.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:03:38 am by SCO »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 07:54:54 am »
 :undecided:  I really hope there is a way to merge in one installation all these beautiful clans without messing too much with the game....
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 08:09:41 am »
I'm still pretty pissed off that subtly insane doesn't actually work as intended.
You know that I removed at least the whispers and weird encounters in the UP plus :)?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal