collapse

* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Undisciplined Caitiff Mod Released  (Read 13276 times)

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: The Undisciplined Caitiff Mod Released
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2022, 09:58:00 am »
Going back to the Tremere apartment screenshot in the into video.
Maybe we are talking about different videos here. Is this a trailer for your mod?

Even the opening cutscene I shortened 12 seconds, not because I wanted the player to notice this change but because I thought it was useless and would never be missed.
I didn't notice anything missing, what did you cut?

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2022, 09:58:12 pm »
Going back to the Tremere apartment screenshot in the into video.
Maybe we are talking about different videos here. Is this a trailer for your mod?
What I called intro video screenshot is the trailer video at ~3:07, which I updated in the first post here.

Even the opening cutscene I shortened 12 seconds, not because I wanted the player to notice this change but because I thought it was useless and would never be missed.
I didn't notice anything missing, what did you cut?
I removed the scene where people are walking out.

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2023, 07:48:51 pm »
I have not gotten any more feedback in quite a while so I have updated the mod to version 1.4.3 incorporating all the previous mentioned fixes I was holding and those I found myself. I would like to go back and address some open issues and make some comments.

The NPC weapon drops, I didn't really change anything there. That is the way the game shipped. I did add a joke easter egg weapon drop.

I looked at the humanity loss for killing hunters and decided it might be working as intended. I think it might be a penalty system of the Hierarch of Sins worked into the video setting.
  • 1st - noting at all happens,
  • 2nd - hunter sent but no humanity loss for killing, HoS rating 6 Accidental violation,
  • 3rd - additional hunter is sent, HoS for first still 6 but HoS for second is 3 or 2 Planned Violation or Casual Violation which results in a humanity loss,
  • 4th - same as 3rd with additional HoS 3 or 2 penalty of humanity loss.
It does make some sense, getting 1 okay no problem, 2 violations questionable, 3 or more almost has to be on purpose. There isn't any reason or benefit in the original game, it's all downside. I am reluctant to change anything unless there is definitive evidence that the existing mechanic isn't working as intended, which I haven't found.

Trip is standing too far from the window. This is directly related to my comment about being reluctant to change things without definitive evidence. My comment was that Trip always looks scared, so I didn't think it strange for him to be standing far away. For me, that makes it a push. However, about two weeks ago I ran into this: player line 203 "Do new people scare you, with a serial killer running around?" Trip's response line 231 "Yeah it's freaking me out to be honest. ..." So, for me it is no longer a push, there is possible evidence he is there on purpose. Since then, I've become even more convinced he is standing where Troika wanted him, so I didn't move him.

I didn't add the fake save file but did add the skip intro box to the character sheet. My only objection to the skip intro button is it looks bad, not part of game. No player will be forced to watch the intro more than once, even if they don't know how to edit the config file.

I lowered the volume in the Last Round but didn't change anything else for a couple reasons. 1. I wanted to preserve the hilarity of my first attempts at Hammer mapping and 2. There are still loads of issues in the game that actually hinder proper game function and I think my time is better spent working on those.

I didn't do anything to address meeting Gary when the player uses the shortcut, honestly I just forgot.

I made a video covering some of the new game mechanics, using a potion to create disciplines. And a new type of interface device, an athanor to create the potions.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 07:55:17 pm by Norrwin »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2023, 09:06:41 pm »
Trip is standing too far from the window.
I remember that there is an issue with the camera moving through the glass with a bit in the view if he stands too far from it.

My only objection to the skip intro button is it looks bad, not part of game.
This is some absolute ugly hack, maybe added at the last minute. Depending on your resolution its position will move around!

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2023, 02:44:21 am »
This is some absolute ugly hack, maybe added at the last minute.

I thought you made this hack and not Troika.

Anyway.

Can this cutscene and the Nines intro one receive the Prelude funeral pyre cutscene treatment (where a writing appears on the screen briefly saying "press attack to skip")?
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2023, 04:08:05 am »
Trip is standing too far from the window.
I remember that there is an issue with the camera moving through the glass with a bit in the view if he stands too far from it.
Yes I have seen that many times where a portion of the wire mesh shows up on the edges of the player view.

Anyway.

Can this cutscene and the Nines intro one receive the Prelude funeral pyre cutscene treatment (where a writing appears on the screen briefly saying "press attack to skip")?
It is unclear if this is a question for me or Wesp. In my mod and patch there is a key for this, the DEL key by default. But it isn't a universal fix, the player has to exercise some judgement. For Nines Intro the key won't work but for Nines in front of Grout, Vandal in blood bank, bum in abandoned building, courier, and a lot of cutscenes it works. I'm sure it could be made universal, relatively sure without trying it anyway.

Offline SCO

• Methuselah
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2023, 07:09:46 am »
The skip intro checkbox always existed (troika made), only the game will only show it it after you have a savegame file in the save dir.
The way the UP activates it is with a fake savegame with a number so absurd it won't appear in the list.

Although it's troika made, what it does is probably set some boolean in a map for the map code to do something (wesp would know). Because in other mods like the WW2 mod, it doesn't work.

Or maybe it's a hardcoded map name and it won't do anything if the 'intro map' doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:13:44 am by SCO »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2023, 10:30:37 am »
Although it's troika made, what it does is probably set some boolean in a map for the map code to do something (wesp would know).
Actually I don't know, but I would guess it just swaps the map that is loaded next. About an universal end to all cutscenes, I wasn't aware that the Caitiff mod provides this. Norrwin, did you modify all maps with cutscenes for this or is there an easier solution? The Prelude cutscene cancel was made by EntenSchreck and it wasn't easy, because he wanted the attack key to be used, which had to be bound back and forth for this!

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2023, 11:34:34 am »
I was hoping one of you two would find a way to do it (or a similar solution). Specially for that yet unskippable Nines cutscene  :tongue:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2023, 09:37:58 pm »

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2023, 10:08:52 pm »
Norrwin, did you modify all maps with cutscenes for this or is there an easier solution? The Prelude cutscene cancel was made by EntenSchreck and it wasn't easy, because he wanted the attack key to be used, which had to be bound back and forth for this!

The original intent of the function was to give players a way to recover from frozen or broken cutscenes. But in one of the v1.4 development updates for the mod I demonstrated and explained how it can be quite useful, including skipping cutscenes. By expanding the code a bit it can be made to skip any cutscene gracefully. It always had the capability to skip any cutscene, most of them gracefully, but not all gracefully.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2023, 08:05:20 am »
By expanding the code a bit it can be made to skip any cutscene gracefully. It always had the capability to skip any cutscene, most of them gracefully, but not all gracefully.
This sounds like a feature that would be great in the Unofficial Patch and the Prelude too, if you give me the permission. And maybe a hint in which files to look for the code ;).

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2023, 01:36:31 pm »
Everyone has permission to use my VTMB mod assets as long as they are credited properly.

I probably didn't do a very good job of explaining. The current function you will find in the controls option screen is "Reset frozen cutscene".

The functionality dedicated more specifically to skipping cutscenes has only come into existence in the last few hours, it is a WIP. I haven't fully decided how it should be designed; I've gone through a few iterations.

Offline Romka Poet

• Antediluvian
  • Just an ordinary guy
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2023, 02:25:37 pm »
The cutscene skip when the hero has to run up to Nines in the observatory looks so natural. :rolleyes:
This solves the problem of how crookedly the hero runs up to him in the cutscene. In my opinion, this should be the default in the patch and, in principle, in the game.

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2023, 07:31:01 pm »
The cutscene skip when the hero has to run up to Nines in the observatory looks so natural. :rolleyes:
This solves the problem of how crookedly the hero runs up to him in the cutscene. In my opinion, this should be the default in the patch and, in principle, in the game.
I had that exact same thought when I was editing the video, it isn't too much different than the scene leaving the FU building where the player is focused on the phone but has to walk up to it themselves, so there is even a precedent of sorts for it. At the moment I can't think of any reasons not to make the change. There is even a good chance that change falls under the prevue of being a bug fix.

There is a possibility that the original design did have the player walking to Nines, and the transition to Nines scene was a last second slap together job. If you notice in the video, I don't walk straight to Nines. This is because when I tried to walk straight to Nines, I got stuck in the floor every time. So, I made a little zig zag walk to Nines that barely avoided those areas but still looked fairly natural. It is possible Troika added that transition part simply to get the player over those glitches. Regardless of the decision about removing that part of the scene I suppose those floor glitches need to be addressed.

I already did a lot of work on the original scenes to try and keep players in long clothes from having the lower parts flying up in the air. If I can keep the long clothes in more natural positions at least it covers some of the leg weirdness. But just removing that part of the scene might be a better idea and keeping the clothing in more natural position in the other parts is still an improvement IMO.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal