collapse

Author Topic: Strange blood spatter effect in Unofficial Patch?  (Read 602 times)

Offline Countess_Isolde

• Fledgling
Strange blood spatter effect in Unofficial Patch?
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:21:31 AM »
I hope someone can answer this for me.

When I use the unofficial patch, whenever I hit an enemy with a weapon, I notice these red blood particles flying sideways out of the target. They're different than the usual blood effect in the game and it's rather distracting.

I presume this is some new particle effect? Could someone tell me what I need to do to disable these? I've done some digging through the file structure and still can't figure it out.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Strange blood spatter effect in Unofficial Patch?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:43:53 AM »
I presume this is some new particle effect?

No, this is not something the patch added.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »
Can you post a screenshot?
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:28:42 PM »
When I use the unofficial patch, whenever I hit an enemy with a weapon, I notice these red blood particles flying sideways out of the target. They're different than the usual blood effect in the game and it's rather distracting.

Is it these weird cartoon-y blood drops? Because I've had them this whole playthrough; I've got 9.9+ installed.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:30:13 AM »
Ah those. There's a way to make them smaller?
― me

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 04:03:19 PM »
For that matter, is it possible to retexture the blood spatter effects? Other games I've played have "blood overhauls" making it higher-res/more detailed.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »
Ah those. There's a way to make them smaller?

Under Vampire/particles I found blooddrop.tga which is used by blooddrops.txt (can't find what uses blooddrops.tga) particles. I tried a couple things to remove it: first, playing with the tga like a dummy and getting different colored dots, and then looking at the .txt.

I haven't learned anything about particles yet, otherwise I might try to make them transparent, if that would even work. I did try changing their size first.

Code: [Select]
Particle
{
sprite "BloodDrop"
min_frames "40"
frames "60"
max_frames "100"
movealign "1"
x_speed "0"
Elevation_speed "0,-10(15),-50~-100(20)"
// phi_speed "-50"
size ".5"
height "2~5"

red "75"
green "0"
blue "0"

color "255"
mask "0,255,0"

/*
collide
{
spawn
{
particle “RainSplashDummy”
friction "0"
Bounce "0"
}

decal
{
particle "RainRing"
}
}
*/
}

I noticed they have their own spatter decals (on the wall in the screenshot) which fade quickly. Those would be pretty annoying on their own, but I don't think I see them in the appropriate folder, so I'll have to live with them.

(I played other games with other installs of 9.9+, and as Wesp says nothing new was added, I'm mostly curious as to what else could have happened. :chinscratch: Different people with different patch versions experiencing it, after all)

For that matter, is it possible to retexture the blood spatter effects? Other games I've played have "blood overhauls" making it higher-res/more detailed.

I would think so! They're all in materials/decals/stains, so it should be easy work. The flying blood particles might be trickier, of course. I've managed the falling leaves particles (outside Grout's mansion), but fire has me stumped. ^^;;

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »
Holy shit! Right in the nuts!  :rofl:

Regarding retexturing particles, I have to point out those are in tga format. Yes, nothing new for us except we actually repack them in the tth/ttz. When I edited some particles with gimp the game won't recognise new transparent areas and weirder and troublesomer stuff happened too. Just for reference I point out the only way I found out agaist these issues is opening it, copy the content, paste it on a new image and save it as a png file. Keep this png as backup, because changes on it and a straight conversion to tga won't bring up those issues, editing an existing tga instead does them. You can also save more times on the png. And never rewrite an old tga, delete it first (or move it away if needed for backup)
[Disclaimer: this small guide is taken from experience achieved randomly months ago and never reapplied since then, it may not be 100% correct.]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:49:33 PM by Barabbah »
― me

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
Holy shit! Right in the nuts!  :rofl:

YOU WEREN'T THERE, HE HAD IT COMIN'

Regarding retexturing particles, I have to point out those are in tga format. Yes, nothing new for us except we actually repack them in the tth/ttz. When I edited some particles with gimp the game won't recognise new transparent areas and weirder and troublesomer stuff happened too. Just for reference I point out the only way I found out agaist these issues is opening it, copy the content, paste it on a new image and save it as a png file. Keep this png as backup, because changes on it and a straight conversion to tga won't bring up those issues, editing an existing tga instead does them. You can also save more times on the png. And never rewrite an old tga, delete it first (or move it away if needed for backup)

I didn't have any such problems when I replaced leaf.tga, and I usually use the old tga as a guide. When I tried my hand at retexturing flames, I saw no change and gave up, so I had no chance to learn heavier edits need to be approached differently. I'll bookmark this for reference in case I run into problems. Thanks for the tip!

I'll have to do some reading on particles, I think, because I'm stumped by these weird-ass blood drops and their spatters, and being stumped irritates me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:49:49 PM by vampire_nonsense »

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 01:27:46 PM »
I believe particles like fire are like brushes (in the .tga files) and the instructions to how draw the file (in the .txt files) but I'm not sure

One thing I'm sure is the hierarchy of the particle folder: something outside it (like a discipline) calls a txt file, then this calls a few other txt which calls the tga (maybe there is one more txt to txt passage, I don't remember....)
I suggest using notepad++, with it it's possible (among many other things and being more reliable than the default wincrap notepad) opening more than one txt-like file at the time and perform a cross-research between all the files (and also replacings)
― me

Offline The Shadow Man

• Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »
I recorded another part of my War Games mod Let's Play, last night. I noticed while killing one of the enemies, some of the cartoony blood drops that I saw in the first screenshot on this thread.

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
I recorded another part of my War Games mod Let's Play, last night. I noticed while killing one of the enemies, some of the cartoony blood drops that I saw in the first screenshot on this thread.

I've gone from puzzled to downright flummoxed. I swear I never saw them before, now a bunch of different people are experiencing them out of nowhere. Gotta be a reason.

I believe particles like fire are like brushes (in the .tga files) and the instructions to how draw the file (in the .txt files) but I'm not sure

One thing I'm sure is the hierarchy of the particle folder: something outside it (like a discipline) calls a txt file, then this calls a few other txt which calls the tga (maybe there is one more txt to txt passage, I don't remember....)
I suggest using notepad++, with it it's possible (among many other things and being more reliable than the default wincrap notepad) opening more than one txt-like file at the time and perform a cross-research between all the files (and also replacings)

Thanks for the info! I've got notepad++ and I agree it's much more reliable, and perfect for comparing files. I'll give it a shot, but I know next to nothing about scripting and less about particles. If I come up with a fix for myself, I'll be sure to post it, but I have a feeling there's too much to learn, and I've got several other things going on. Hope someone who knows what they're doing sees this thread  :rofl:

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 08:28:46 AM »
Just for your interest, I took a closer look at this in the meantime, and a) they were the result of a UP change but probably not by me as it wasn't commented and b) I have improved them for the next 10.3 release candidate :)!

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
Wow, really? I thought the War Games mod wasn't based on the UP, so I thought it must be something else. Thanks for clearing it up, Wesp! It was driving me crazy. :)

For the purposes of this thread, I'd like to mention I spent a couple hours on the problem yesterday, but still no dice. Guess it's best to wait for the next patch! :D

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 03:17:31 PM »
I noticed this effect too! Glad to know that the next UP will fix it.  :smile:
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.