collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: State of Modding  (Read 175 times)

Offline Robert Thorne PR Rep

• Fledgling
State of Modding
« on: September 14, 2020, 12:50:28 am »
Hello everyone. Been looking into the state of things regarding Bloodlines modding, prodding through the SDK, and I'm just sort of confused about what's working and not working, so I figured I'd ask here. Here's a few questions:

* Model editing:
I read that you can edit models, but the final model needs to have the same vert count of the original. Why is this? Looking at the SDK, you guys seem to have figured out how to convert from Troika MDL to the standard Valve MDL format expected by the Model Viewer, so what's the issue here? Are there still some parts of the format that are not understood? And what exactly happens if you make a model with a different vert count and insert it into the game, does it simply not show up?

* Animations:
I can't seem to get animations to play in the Model Viewer, even though it lists the sequences (apparently correctly). Is this known to be broken, or just something on my end? And with animations in general, is there a way to preview, edit, and create our own custom animations to play in the game?

Online thewarsend

• Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
Re: State of Modding
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 12:03:04 pm »
- Model editing:
You can indeed edit the models, but the conventional model editing comes with severe limitations at the moment. You can edit and compile static models without much issue, even if the vert count doesn't match. But dynamic models and any models with animation simply will not work. There are ways to edit character models and whatnot, but even this has a lot of restrictions. You can search the forums to learn more.
If you do something the game doesn't like, it will simply crash the game. Our model compiler gets really picky sometimes.
I am not sure why this is the case. Some parts of the format is not fully understood, that's for sure.

- Animations:
Animations never worked properly with the Model Viewer, it is not just you. You cannot edit or view animations at the moment. At least I am not aware of any methods to do so.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:54:45 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 02:56:05 pm »
- Animations:
Animations never worked properly with the Model Viewer, it is not just you. You cannot edit or view animations at the moment.
You can view the animations in the PakFile Explorer, so there should be a way to add this to the model viewer too.

Online thewarsend

• Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 04:41:00 pm »
You can view the animations in the PakFile Explorer, so there should be a way to add this to the model viewer too.

Which means it should be possible to fix the Model Viewer at least. I have no idea how though. Other than that, I would say it works perfectly well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal