collapse

* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Some questions related to modding  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
Re: Some questions related to modding
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 12:16:22 pm »
My first impression is that the haven map is extremely dark
Yes I have lights problem :) which clan did you pick did you end up in the basement or in upper haven?
I don't know how to explain, but for example if I have day light during the day in my room, the map look really dark (I have light that come in my screen) but when it is dark (like evening) the map looks normal. I really don't know how which parameter, I should play to solve this.
there is none for the bathroom lamp
That's weird both flat got switch working for me.
But I know that I have the sprite that are not turn off, I was not able to turn off the sprite, so it stay, probably it will be better to remove them (as I don't think they are usefull) and just stick with lights and spot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:20:00 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 04:03:08 pm »
My first impression is that the haven map is extremely dark
Yes I have lights problem :) which clan did you pick did you end up in the basement or in upper haven?
I picked Malk and ended up in the basement.
Then you either need to lower the hacking difficulty for the haven computer or leave a note with the password somewhere.
Yes this I forgot to add a note or tell it, it is the same password as the game sunshine.
Yes, i assumed that and it worked. It's sunrise btw, not sunshine  :taunt:
there is none for the bathroom lamp
That's weird both flat got switch working for me.
Well I have only seen one lightswitch next to the entrance door and that seemed to work only for the lamps in the living room, not in the bathroom. I could be mistaken because turning the lights on or off didn't make that much of a difference in the overall brightness and all the bulbs seemed to be glowing no matter if the lights were on or off. Btw, I was playing this morning near the window with full light on the monitor.
While entering the pizzeria, opening the door smashed some flowerpot or something.
Yes this part is not quite done yet, I should close the door , but at least you see were it is going.
Is it intended that talking to Arthur gives the Muddy quest but not the Carson quest?
Yes, first Knox then Carson that will come a bit later in the story.
Thought so, but it felt a bit weird because Arthur mentioned Carson missing and then just changed the subject to Muddy.
I didn't see any timer for the remaining night time.
Yes it appear when you finish some quest (like Arthur) when traveling, the call is on the map that is left, so that's why it is not appearing, I need to find a way to manage it on the arriving map.
Maybe you can find hint for that when you look into the soc4 and soc3 maps since the explosion timer is carried on from soc_4 to soc_3.
IIRC the remaining time when the player leaves soc_4 is stored in a G.variable and the timer on soc_3 started using the value of this variable as the starting time.
I just looked it up. Timer on soc 4 map:
Code: [Select]
{
"classname" "hud_timer"
"targetname" "get_out"
"count_time" "60"
"count_type" "-1"
"OnTimerComplete" ",,,0,-1,deathFromExplosion(),"
"origin" "-4849.88 2733.15 -187"
}
Timer on soc 3 map:
{
"classname" "hud_timer"
"targetname" "escape_timer"
"count_time" "30"
"count_type" "-1"
"OnTimerComplete" ",,,0,-1,deathFromExplosion(),"
"origin" "-5397.55 707.386 -162.428"
}
and the scripts in leopold.py:
#SOCIETY 4: Store timer for use in sp_soc_3
def storeTimer():
    timer = Find("get_out")
    G.Society_Countdown = timer.remaining_time

#SOCIETY 3: Setup timer to continue from sp_soc_4
def setupEscapeTimer():
    timer = Find("escape_timer")
    timer.count_time = G.Society_Countdown
    timer.RestartTimer()
    timer.StartTimer()
    timer.Show()
storeTimer() is called on soc_4 when you open the door to soc_3 along with the trigger-changelevel, setupEscapeTimer() by a logic_pythoncheck ("targetname" "escape_test") which in turn is called by one of soc_3's logic_autos.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 04:18:29 pm »
I have played up to the point you have to save the girl from the thugs in the new hub.

Really really good!! As soon as I have more time I will continue playing :)

A small list of comments:

- on the pier you removed all the thin bloods and the stereo but hovering the camera in 3rd person where there was the stereo you can still hear the song played by the thin bloods

- I was on Hollywood and went to the car, selected the option to return to the new hub but not only it wasn't clear you had to click on one of the old hubs to get there, selecting Downtown it crashed the game. If only I had took a screenshot.... now I dont' remember the error message :/ sorry

- small suggestion: instead of having the timer telling you the time left to return to your haven, why not the timer telling you what time it is ingame? 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, game over, you get the idea :)
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 05:37:36 pm »
Thanks a lot for your return!
I have corrected 2 bugs that I found, one in the SM Dinner where the killer is still showing up even after you killed him and the cleaning of the pier after the killer.
Well I have only seen one lightswitch next to the entrance door and that seemed to work only for the lamps in the living room, not in the bathroom. I could be mistaken because turning the lights on or off didn't make that much of a difference in the overall brightness and all the bulbs seemed to be glowing no matter if the lights were on or off. Btw, I was playing this morning near the window with full light on the monitor.
There is one in the bathroom close to the door, yes the sprite are still there, I will remove them, probably just the light would be enough.
Thought so, but it felt a bit weird because Arthur mentioned Carson missing and then just changed the subject to Muddy.
I might have forgotten some lines in the dialog that could end up in that case, but it should be Knox first. And it might be possible to have some more steps like findings Knox, there is some dialog lines that refer to it, I will see.
For the timer, I used the soc map, but when I implemented it, it was when you enter a hub from any other map you advance which was not great at all, so I ended up adding the call to the taxi trigger, but now it is not appearing. I need to implement a variable or see if I might change the function to have the call when you reach the map after you take your car, I think I see how to make it so it should be fixed next time. I have also fixed a thing that I just discovered, when you reach the timer in a hub, even if you take the car and go back to your house, the next time you enter the timer is still running, so I have changed this to avoid being burned without reason.
on the pier you removed all the thin bloods and the stereo but hovering the camera in 3rd person where there was the stereo you can still hear the song played by the thin bloods
Thanks, I will have a look.
I was on Hollywood and went to the car, selected the option to return to the new hub but not only it wasn't clear you had to click on one of the old hubs to get there, selecting Downtown it crashed the game. If only I had took a screenshot.... now I dont' remember the error message
I tried to replicate Downtown -> Hollywood -> haven but was not successfull, so I don't know, I have checked the dialog and normally, it is set before calling the map, so I really have no clue. I know it is not so clear that you have to click on Downtown, it will be better to have only this selectable, for now, everything is kinda open (Hollywood will reopen after the party) so I will tried to think about something that could set/unset what is clickable.
small suggestion: instead of having the timer telling you the time left to return to your haven, why not the timer telling you what time it is ingame? 9:00, 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, game over, you get the idea :)
I didn't think about this, wouldn't be too confusing for the player? I could explain in the tuto, I will have to think about it, that's a good idea, and now I think adding a watch to get the hour...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:35:09 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 06:29:04 pm »
So I took a look at this as well, but I am not sure what you want to achieve. Is this some kind of sequel to Bloodlines or does it play at the same time only with another vampire? At first I was happy to get a new haven and mini hub and then I was disappointed that the first quest sent us back to SM where we basically need to do all the old stuff. Why don't you turn this into a full fledged sequel by removing all the old quests and situations and create new ones?

I agree with the others that the maps are too dark! In some areas, like the top floors of the car vendor shop and the pizzeria, there are no lamps and thus light sources at all! Also there is something wrong with your reflections, the skybox is visible on the big TV and several mirror surfaces. Furthermore some door knobs have the parentname of the door missing, one lockpicking attempt flew me through the whole map and the pizzeria and other shops could need some signs. You are probably aware that you can look out of the map from the pizzeria second floor and that you need somebody to spellcheck all the English text?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:36:32 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 07:30:10 pm »
I tried again, this time with less light on the monitor. You're right there is a lightswitch in the bathroom but I couldn't see it this morning.
This time I even managed to see the talking guy in the basketball court...
But something strange happened in Santa Monica. When i crossed the street in front of the diner to get to Arthur, I got an unexpected loading screen and the game chrashed.
About the timer, I finally saw it because I could finish a quest. Is it intended that it just states the hours till sunrise but doesn't count down?
The suggetion of printing the time instead of the remaining hours is not bad, but it should either be 9PM, 12PM, 3AM... or 21:00, 0:00, 3:00... to make clear we're dealing with night time here.

Back to my previous post, I really miss something to block the windows. Makes no sense to hurry home before sunup just to get a good sunburn while getting ready for bed... :rofl:

P.S. I think I need to edit your scripts. The upstairs haven is so much nicer but I prefer playing Malks. :razz:

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2022, 09:39:26 pm »
I tried a bit more and I'm not sure I like it. First of all you need to display the timer more often, maybe every time a hub map is loaded. Honestly, doing the Muddy quest all in one go, but having nothing else to do in Hollywood and only Venus' quests downtown is not my idea of a fun night. Plus some builds probably need more time to get their persuasion up to scratch for talking the killer down.
On another note, I couldn't access my computer the second night. The use icon was there but didn't react. :chinscratch: Toreador in the upstairs haven.
Did you forget to remove the computer skillbook in the clinic or is it intended that this book is still there even though all the others are gone?
And where is this "construction site" where I'm supposed to go scouting for the basketball court guys? I hope you're not telling me it's behind this difficulty 7 padlock!?

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2022, 10:17:01 am »
Thanks a lot for your return.
So I took a look at this as well, but I am not sure what you want to achieve. Is this some kind of sequel to Bloodlines or does it play at the same time only with another vampire?
You start a bit before the event in bloodlines and then you continue up to second inquisition attack (after I don't know), you will be able to choose your side and see how LA is evolving accordingly I am a lore addict, so it is based on the evolution of it.Yes you are a neonate that just finish his training with his sire and then you leave the nest.
then I was disappointed that the first quest sent us back to SM where we basically need to do all the old stuff
This I could understand, but some of the old stuff are good to be taken and could be just enhanced a bit, like the dialog and sound are great, so just by using it and adding new quest and implication I will tried (emphasis) to have a living LA.Basically, there is consequence of Venus quest accordingly, that will come during the event of bloodlines for example, or depending on the side you pick you won't have the same dialog for Damsel.
I know this is far from perfect at all, it is still brewing in my mind how to connect some dots, what could be the implication, but using those quests help me having a bit of stuff and then I will add more and more.I see it as a base architecture and then add things, even making easier for other to connect their stuff, for example, I am thinking of changing the appartment map in SM, adding one more story and have one flat that could be used as haven if you side with Therese, this will be just open a basic flat, but if people want to create their haven and just plug it that should be doable, I will try in the next version to have a bit more stuffs done, but unfortunately, it will be in alpha for long time.

I agree with the others that the maps are too dark!
This I agree too, I need to check a good tutorial video to see how I might improve it, if I need to play on my environment light or if I need to add spot light in the big area, I agree like the basketball should have more moon light, but I tried to have an effect that is not looking like a spot and I need to improve my light skill.
In some areas, like the top floors of the car vendor shop and the pizzeria, there are no lamps and thus light sources at all!
Furthermore some door knobs have the parentname of the door missing, one lockpicking attempt flew me through the whole map and the pizzeria and other shops could need some signs.
Those are still work in progress, pizzeria is for Giovanni starting and you will be able to go above the car seller if you seduce him to have a cut on the car (or something like this).
you need somebody to spellcheck all the English text?
Yes the mod is far from polish, so there is still a lot of work to be done, but still I have hope that I will manage something not bad.
But something strange happened in Santa Monica. When I crossed the street in front of the diner to get to Arthur, I got an unexpected loading screen and the game chrashed.
I think this is the bug that I corrected, with the timer not reseting after you go home, now it is fixed and it shouldn't happen again.
About the timer, I finally saw it because I could finish a quest. Is it intended that it just states the hours till sunrise but doesn't count down?
Yes because I don't know how to implement a good ratio between virtual/real time ie 10mn per hour? 5 mn per hour like I don't like it, so it is just a display of time. I think I will implement the display as hour, but I am not sure if I could add AM/PM.
I really miss something to block the windows. Makes no sense to hurry home before sunup just to get a good sunburn while getting ready for bed...
I have the idea to add a switch to close the window, so I will implement that.
P.S. I think I need to edit your scripts. The upstairs haven is so much nicer but I prefer playing Malks.
I also have an idea to create an history for this, so it will select the other haven, I don't know what could be the disadvantage.
First of all you need to display the timer more often, maybe every time a hub map is loaded.
I will tried to create a watch if not I will revert to this, it was like this at the begining but I remove it, I was thinking it is a bit too much, but I will gave it another try.
Honestly, doing the Muddy quest all in one go, but having nothing else to do in Hollywood  and only Venus' quests downtown is not my idea of a fun night.
In fact, I want you to meet Isaac a bit later in the story, but as Isaac is old school, you are not allowed to move too much in his domain until he say so, that's why you are just in and out, I mean this is how I see it, so I could get wrong and it is possible to change.
I am thinking of this for Hollywood quest:Story_State < 0: Killer0 >= Story_State > 30 (bloodline story block): Romero quest, gargoyle, ash probably.
VV script with thinblood block
Then second inquisition block with all the hunter quest
I have plenty of ideas, so it take a bit of time to realize them.
Plus some builds probably need more time to get their persuasion up to scratch for talking the killer down.

Yes I realized that I need to tweak some checks that are mandatory to progress, so I will change this.
On another note, I couldn't access my computer the second night. The use icon was there but didn't react. :chinscratch: Toreador in the upstairs haven.
Thanks, I will have a look.
Did you forget to remove the computer skillbook in the clinic or is it intended that this book is still there even though all the others are gone?
I think I will use the skill books to improve some skils, if you select your library instead of you bed, you will advance but you will learn new skills (for example you use 5 hour so you get one skill point, so if you advance 2 nights you will get a maximumù of 2 dots in computer with the newbie book and then if you find the improve one, you spend I don't know the double to have dots 3 and 4.This is still brewing, so nothing is finished.
And where is this "construction site" where I'm supposed to go scouting for the basketball court guys?
It is the big building in the map, you have 3 spots of scout, one behind the trash in the front alley, one behind the truck if you take the left street and one above the trash behind the wall if you take the right (this one the sound is not great, so I need to add a sound entity instead of playing the dialog), I tried to add inspection node (level one) but it don't show up, I don't know to what I need to attach it to have them displayed, I need to check Tawni map, so it will make player life easier.
I hope you're not telling me it's behind this difficulty 7 padlock!?
Not at all, for now I don't use it, it will include a surprise.

I really now it is far from polished and a lot of work is not done, I still hope I will finish something that will make a good story, I have plenty of ideas, and not so much time or I need to work on it all the time, so I guess it will be advancing slowly :(
If people want to help, don't hesitate :)

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2022, 10:37:46 am »
I have an idea for displaying the timer.
Make the timer available on every map and use a variable G.Timer_Displayed.

Then call the timer using a script like this:

if G.Timer_Displayed == 0:
    <CALL TIMER>
    G.Timer_Displayed = 1
    __main__.ScheduleTask(120, "G.Timer_Displayed = 0")

This way it can be displayed on every mapload, but only if at least two minutes have passed since the last display.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2022, 10:42:24 am »
I continued and reached the point
Spoiler for Hiden:
of the embracing of the Bloodlines character (which by the way has one small bug: picking a female Torrie as my starting character the embraced Bloodlines character is a male Brujah despite the audio scene suggests the sire is male and the childe female)

There is more content available from this point forward or did I reach the end of the demo?

Anyway I didn't expected the scene I mentioned in the first spoiler section. A really good surprise :)

Other two things:
Spoiler for Hiden:
- in the diary menù in the Sabbat computer the last entry will starts a quest redirecting me to the Last Round, but going there there's nothing....
Spoiler for Hiden:
- once you complete the main sabbat elimination quest the gang leader says you can go to his apartment to talk further with him, but he has only some dialogs about setting a fire and an elevator trap, what these does?
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2022, 02:32:13 pm »
You start a bit before the event in bloodlines and then you continue up to second inquisition attack (after I don't know), you will be able to choose your side and see how LA is evolving accordingly I am a lore addict, so it is based on the evolution of it.
I think you should make this a real sequel and not mix it up with Bloodlines somehow with NPCs giving you the exact same dialogues as in Bloodlines or the very same quests which sooner or later would mess the Bloodlines story up. It's okay to use the same maps, but please add new quests!

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2022, 02:56:53 pm »
I have an idea for displaying the timer.
Make the timer available on every map and use a variable G.Timer_Displayed.
That's a good idea, I will implement it.

There is more content available from this point forward or did I reach the end of the demo?
No I am working on it right now, you reach the end of the demo.

First spoiler
There is still few things that are not clean, on this scene, but the model are the one that are supposed to be. Basically you assist to the scene, so I know there are some things that I need to correct, this is one of them.
I think you should make this a real sequel and not mix it up with Bloodlines somehow with NPCs giving you the exact same dialogues as in Bloodlines or the very same quests which sooner or later would mess the Bloodlines story up. It's okay to use the same maps, but please add new quests!
I don't see it has a sequel, but more as a vampire in LA were event are occuring and you see them happening, like for the main story, you are not going to do the quest, but for example, if you are a giovanni and pick the "right" side , you will have a quest to pick the key of the museum, this kind of little things. And after step by step adding more maps, quests and so on. After it will continue with the event in the world of darkness in relation with characters, like Jack's departure for example.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2022, 04:35:11 pm »
This is becoming kind of boring. Second night nothing to do but spy on the thugs, third night nothing to do but kill the kidnappers...
Now for the technical aspects:
-after reloading I was able to access my haven computer again
-for some reason when I went to Santa Monica from the haven i got the five minute timer, but when I returned home and went to SM again it was okay; I was downtown first, but there should have been some hours left
-I went to the diner in the second night and there was the serial killer talking on Milton's answering machine despite the fact that I had done the quest in the first night. And I could get the Muddy quest from Arthur again.

Just out of curiosity, how many nights do I have to wait until I get some money from Venus?

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2022, 05:23:49 pm »
Barabbah second spoiler that I forgot to answer before.
Yes this is to check some functionalities in the building, you might start/stop the entrance light of the building and remove the trap for safest in case you move around.

This is becoming kind of boring. Second night nothing to do but spy on the thugs, third night nothing to do but kill the kidnappers...
Yes I have foreseen this, I am thinking of removing Antonio's quest once a day and do everything in one shot, but it will loose a bit the timeline (I am not sure it is a big lost), it could work in one go, so I guess I will try it, it was more a test to see the technical feasability, but I should remove this and let the player do the quest line.I would like to have the killer quest done in the "intro", so I am a bit afraid that the player loose it if they start everything, I need to add a line to say no to the war and then a message to hint the player related to finish the quests.My idea is to have a bit of intro (my quests in the area + killer + venus) -> the cam party -> then the event during bloodlines happens -> a new anarch city when the cam is deal -> so on and so on, so it is a bit for introduction.
But i could make things differently, at first I was thinking of putting the killer line at G.Story_State = 0 but I think it ressemble too much to the normal game, so I decided to go with Arthur and killer for intro and the quest to get a car.
-for some reason when I went to Santa Monica from the haven i got the five minute timer, but when I returned home and went to SM again it was okay; I was downtown first, but there should have been some hours left
-I went to the diner in the second night and there was the serial killer talking on Milton's answering machine despite the fact that I had done the quest in the first night. And I could get the Muddy quest from Arthur again.
This I have corrected it.
Just out of curiosity, how many nights do I have to wait until I get some money from Venus?
It starts just when you finish the war (the day after Larry's quest), as soon as you get the email of your sire, (G.Story_State = 0) you might go to Venus, I have corected it but you will have access to her monney once every 5 day (i have changed to once a week).

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2022, 05:51:06 pm »
Then use the Arthur quest only for the first night. And have the car dealer tell about the guys in the basketball court only on the second night (or have him send an email about it). Then the player can do the whole stuff with the Sabbat on the second night.

Or keep doing it in steps but find some sidequests for the player to do while waiting.
Maybe a runin with the Tong in Chinatown, or stealing some money from Metalhead or Dennis at the beachhouse without being seen.
Or another interesting questline: Someone wants to get rid of Milligan; They know Pisha is in the old hospital, Now the player's job is to give Milligan the idea that the hospital is a good place for one of his shows...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal