collapse

* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Some questions related to modding  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
Some questions related to modding
« on: June 16, 2022, 02:24:39 pm »
Hello everyone,
I am working on my mod and I have faced some problems that I don't know how to resolve or I have some questions:
  • I include a management of night (base on hour) and if the character don't go back to his haven it get destroyed, everything is working except the game crash more than half of the time, I use a trigger_hurt but I had also the same behavior with the command vdmg, so I don't know if someone has the same behavior or know how to kill the character without crashing the game?
  • I have also a visual problem, I have a fire behind some car stock piled, but from far away, the car don't appear and the fire is appearing (it seems I can't add attachments or picture), if you get closer everything looks fine. I have put an Area Portal but it is not solved or I don't know how to use it properly.
  • I also faced a weird things with dialog, I have for now no lips integrated and when I was using the NPC line to set some variables, it took a long time for the code to run, so it was not working with the onDialogEnd, using the PC line and everything is fine. Just for my curiosity, is it due to the lip missing that it takes a lot of time?
  • Speaking of lips file, I am using the editor to edit them, but it is taking a lot of time, is there any tutorial about the lip editor, I am totally lost after opening it. I have written dialog and I don't know if it is possible to translate them to lip automatically
I think it is all for now, thanks a lot for your answers.

Offline argikt

• Antediluvian
Re: Some questions related to modding
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 07:18:44 pm »
An extense post... I would try to give you some advice of my experience...
Answering your points:

1- An interesting idea... I won't use a trigger_hurt in the maps, because you would have to change all maps. It's better using a command, but... how do you control the time? I understand the purpose but I think that the game will be more realistic, but also more annoying to players.
2- The visual problem will probably be due to the fading distance of the object... if you use the parameter 0, it never fades.
3- There's no relation between lips sync missing and variables in the lines. Probably you put the variables in the wrong {}, you should use the 5{}, like this:

1{LINE NUMBER} 2{DLG MALE} 3{DLG FEMALE} 4{#} 5{VARIABLES} ... etc.
4- Lip editor doesn't support automatic import. You must do every line... manually.

By the way... can you explain something about your mod?

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 09:22:42 pm by Wesp5 »

Online Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 08:37:23 pm »
Concerning the trigger_hurt issue, I'd probably try __main__.FindPlayer().TakeDamage(xx). Although I don't know what will happen when you hurt the player till death.

About the dialogs, it is a known problem that commands in npc lines are not executed reliably. Better use the player responses instead.

Do you have sound for your new dialogs? If not you don't need any vcd or lip files.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 11:47:18 am »
Thanks a lot for your reply!And sorry for the late reply.

So I have investigate a bit, my problem and I have the same behavior if I trigger the masquerade change (ie crashing) I guess something is stuck in the code in my map and that trigger this behavior, if I change the map and do the changemasquerade, it won't crash, so it is in my map, and I don't know where, but I might find something to avoid that.I didn't try the TakeDamage, but I will give it a try, if it avoid the changing of all maps that would be great, it leaves only the timer, I was not able to make it work by code only so for now, it is a timer in the map.
1- An interesting idea... I won't use a trigger_hurt in the maps, because you would have to change all maps. It's better using a command, but... how do you control the time? I understand the purpose but I think that the game will be more realistic, but also more annoying to players.
For the time, I allow 1 or 2 hour when a quest is done with a function AdvanceNight() when it reach 10 hour, the timer trigger and the player have 5 mn to go back to his haven otherwise that's death.So as the trigger work half time without crashing, when a player is killed, you go back to the main menu.I don't know if it is a great idea, I don't like the way you are able to chain quest and that erase all the nice stuff they implement like the tv sentence and the newspaper, so I was thinking of a way to implement kind of night timer to at least be able to slow the pace, but I agree that it might be problematic and don't go to the release.It was not big to implement so that's not a big deal if it didn't make it.

2- The visual problem will probably be due to the fading distance of the object... if you use the parameter 0, it never fades.
I will give it a try.
For the problem with the code in the answer of NPC, yes it is really weird as Malkav mention, it is really taking more than a minute sometimes for the code to be executed (I have check as my variable as been set when it is executed), so I prefer at least for now to use the PC answer, that make things more reliable for the development.

For now I don't have sound, but I have spotted some online site where I might generate some basic voice, but that will be at the end on the polishing :) but I find it a bit weird the dialog without any lip move but that's not a big deal, I will see later.

By the way... can you explain something about your mod?
So that's kind a mix of plenty of ideas that I have, the fact that you can continue the game and also to play another vampire that the fledging:You start by picking your side of the story (anarch, camarilla, giovanni, independant, sabbat maybe) and the event of the game are happening at the same time, some of the side quest is available to player and some of the main quest are changed to be used.
You are just  released from your sire after your training period, you are a young vampire and the world is open to you.
The timeline is from the event of bloodline a week or two before it start, until let's say the begining of LA by night show including the second inquisition attack, hecata creation, tremere explosion so some of the V5 background.
You start in a small area in downtown (which will be your domain) and you claim this zone (that's the intro quest) you might after get some money, way to drink easily (not to kill) and change your car from this domain, building allies and contact.And then you will evoluate in LA depending of your side, anarch might join one of the three baron or stay independant, you could also be independant and by yourself as a gangrel, tremere might start as a new comer to the chantry from camarilla or be anarch, nosferatu will be nosferatu :)For the giovanni part, I have write a lot in the hecata mod, Giovanni will replace ventrue and after if there is more need for other story, i will see hopw to implement.
I could write a lot about this because my mind is boiling as I would really make something cool, but we will see.

I am adavancing slowly as the mapping is taking for me a lot of time, but that's advancing, so when I will have a pre alpha release for testing and if some people want to give it a try just let me know, just don't ask me when it will happen because life is life unfortunately.

If people have question don't hesitate.
Again thanks a lot for your answer.

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 09:40:30 pm »
The visual problem will probably be due to the fading distance of the object... if you use the parameter 0, it never fades.
That worked thanks a lot.

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 02:26:10 pm »
I'd probably try __main__.FindPlayer().TakeDamage(xx)
That can't work, TakeDamage is not part of character entity :(

But one more weird things, I have tried with the trigger_hurt but in a save game that is more advance in time and I didn't faced the crash, so I guess, it is really something that is happening in the begining of the map that I need to investigate.I will put it and probably I will add a boolean as parameter to allow or not the night management or kill player, or something like this, I will see.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 02:28:42 pm by Wallit »

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 03:44:31 pm »
Hello everyone,
So I have created a demo that you find here: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/start/235372?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.moddb.com%2F

Sorry for the wall of text, I have plenty of question.
For the story, you are just released from your sire after your acclimatation period. Don't take Nosferatu it is not working.

For the system:It include the timer version, I explain everything in the popup file, in case you fail and you get burn, you are teleported to the masquerade map that I have modified and you get burn. I don't know how to make a better sun (like in the prelude day) so if someone know that would be great, if you want to try use killPlayer() command.There is a bed that allow you to finish a night.

For the demo:I created a big map around 40 Mb I don't know if it is a problem or not, I guess it could be optimized, if people find better optimisation don't hesitate to let me know.I could also in case it is too big split it.
I just discover it the first time in better light mode yesterday, so I was sceptical on my lights (at least some of them) but now I don't know, any advices are welcome.It needs some improvement, and the Giovanni and Nosferatu part are not ready (it is easy to see the wip parts).
Antonio give one quest per day but that might change, it is just to test the timeline.
You have access to your car, if you finish the quest from Bob, you will be able to change it (I need to fix the car origin when it is swapped)it is better to finish all the quest before the last quest from Antonio, when you come back from Larry, finish everything if you want. For now I don't clean and leave all the quest open but I don't know what will happen when the story move on.
I have tested up to after the party (G.Story_State = 0), if you are moving in the city after you might face issue, I didn't have time to check this.
You have access to the Arthur quest, Serial Killer line,Trip from UP, Venus line and finally Larry quest (after Antonio send you to him).

For the battle there is some npc that follow you (if they are not killed), some times they work great some times they just wait, well I guess that should be improved, you will have to go back to them sometimes.
I have tested with a tremere and a gangrel I don't know if the last boss is too difficult or not.
There is some rat that should spawn, but I add the impression that they were not respawning when I use one of them.
I know the building is a bit empty after, it miss some bums I need to think to what should get added.
In case Antonio got problem, there should be a body but I don't know it is killed before so it is a bit weird.
I have changed the sound in the basketball in case you strike, before it was not audible, I didn't have time to test if it is better.
There should be inspection point to where to stand for the lurking quest, but I can't make them appearing, I don't know what should be the ParentEntity (the trigger?).
There is a girl that you rescue that is not well placed, she use the lay positions, but she is floating, I don't know if it is due to the lay or if it is due to the model, I have difficulties for scene.
The intro scene is a bit weird, it is based on sequence, I would like to add a weapon to bob but I was not able to manage to.
The lurking scene is also missing some sequence/life.
When you finish the battle, you see Antonio, I don't know if it is possible to use the sit position but without to have it weird (I didn't have time to check the beachhouse map so it might be easy to fix).
For the scene, I need to fix the blood if your character is a female.
I would like to add some file text between the element for the scene (on the previous night for example) like in Wargame, but I struggle with the text file and the resolution.
Some dialogues are still a bit weird, but I guess that will get solved with time, some transition could be better like coming to Arthur for example.
I would like to have a "learning system" with the books, like you spend finishing your night learning and you get some improvment in some skills, I have keep the it book for this, I don't know if it is possible or not.
Another question related to item, would it be possible to add a cell phone and be able to use it to use a model embeded in the map to call someone (depending on story state etc..)?

I think that's all, I need to polish it a lot and then to continue, but at least I would like to know if it is to boring for the people this night timer system and see if i am on the right direction or not.
Don't hesitate if you have comment or improvement and thanks a lot if you take a bit of your time to test the demo.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 03:55:21 pm by Wallit »

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 05:34:06 pm »
I also have some question that I have forgotten previously:
It is better to use one function to set a map or to have plenty of small function that do the things, I had some problem related to the order so I am asking.
It is better to use logic relay to clean a map or trigger? Is a logic relay kill itself when finish?
It is better to use dynamic prop and lock door or to have electronic knob and lock the knob?
I would like to do the same as the view of the sm flat with the motorway, is using a skybox is the only solution, I had a look to the motorway sign but they seem to be rather small, so I don't see how to proceed without a skybox.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 08:57:52 pm »
Hello everyone,
So I have created a demo that you find here: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/start/235372?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.moddb.com%2F

Once Moddb authorises it I will download it  :cheesy:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 08:07:06 am »
Yes it seems that is a bit long, the file is authorized now, it should be ok.

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 08:31:33 am »
I forget to mention that there is a big problem with the car camera shot, but I don't know how the camera shot is working so i have tried to fix it, unfortunately i didn't manage.

Online Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 10:03:49 am »
I also have some question that I have forgotten previously:
It is better to use one function to set a map or to have plenty of small function that do the things, I had some problem related to the order so I am asking.
I think this depends on the situation. If you always have the same list of things to do and always in the same order, I'd use one large function. On the other hand, if you have a list of things to do but each map only requires some of these maybe even in a different order, then I'd use several small functions and call them as needed.
For the load order, you can set a delay for caling certain functions that depend on another one having finished. Either use the map functionality for this: "OnMapLoad" "plus_ox_smoke,BeginSequence,,0.1,-1,," Here you have a 0.1 second delay. Or in a script you can use ScheduleTask().
It is better to use logic relay to clean a map or trigger? Is a logic relay kill itself when finish?
A relay requires a trigger or function that calls the relay, so it is generally used if you have several different triggers that all call the same sequence of actions.
As an example, let's say you need several conversations between npcs started when the player enters a room. If the room has only one door you use a trigger and do everything you need in this trigger. If there are several doors you put a trigger at each door and have all of these triggers call a relay to do the things you need done.
Neither a trigger nor a relay kills itself unless you tell them to do so.
It is better to use dynamic prop and lock door or to have electronic knob and lock the knob?
I would like to do the same as the view of the sm flat with the motorway, is using a skybox is the only solution, I had a look to the motorway sign but they seem to be rather small, so I don't see how to proceed without a skybox.
Can't really help you with any of these, sorry.

For your question about the sun in the other post you could contact Entenschreck. But I believe he is quite busy with his job now that most of the Corona related restrictiona are lifted, so it will probably take some time for him to come back to you.

EDIT: Just downloaded your file. If possible you should change the name. It ended up on my computer as "LAChronicles.1" and I had to manually add the .7z to open it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:08:29 am by Malkav »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 10:14:07 am »
If possible you should change the name. It ended up on my computer as "LAChronicles.1" and I had to manually add the .7z to open it.

Weird, the file I've downloaded ended up being called "LAChronicles.1.7z"
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Online Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 11:19:05 am »
Just started testing. My first impression is that the haven map is extremely dark.
Then you either need to lower the hacking difficulty for the haven computer or leave a note with the password somewhere.
This is more cosmetic but anyway: there seems to be no way to block the haven windows in order to prevent the sun shining in. And while there is a working lightswitch for the main room there is none for the bathroom lamp.
While entering the pizzeria, opening the door smashed some flowerpot or something.
Is it intended that talking to Arthur gives the Muddy quest but not the Carson quest?
I didn't see any timer for the remaining night time.

Offline Wallit

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 11:50:27 am »
My first impression is that the haven map is extremely dark
Yes I have lights problem :) which clan did you pick did you end up in the basement or in upper haven?
Then you either need to lower the hacking difficulty for the haven computer or leave a note with the password somewhere.
Yes this I forgot to add a note or tell it, it is the same password as the game sunshine.
there is none for the bathroom lamp
That's weird both flat got switch working for me.
While entering the pizzeria, opening the door smashed some flowerpot or something.
Yes this part is not quite done yet, I should close the door , but at least you see were it is going.
Is it intended that talking to Arthur gives the Muddy quest but not the Carson quest?
Yes, first Knox then Carson that will come a bit later in the story.
I didn't see any timer for the remaining night time.
Yes it appear when you finish some quest (like Arthur) when traveling, the call is on the map that is left, so that's why it is not appearing, I need to find a way to manage it on the arriving map.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 05:27:48 pm by Wesp5 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal