collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Request: Modern, Up-To-Date, 101-Friendly, In-Depth Modeling Tutorial  (Read 144 times)

Online NateHevens

• Annoying Noob
  • Ancillus
I don't know if I'll get responses to this, or if anyone who has the ability to do this will want to, but...

All of the tutorials I can find for working with the back-end of VTMB1 are... not exactly user-friendly. The one provided with UP assumes a level of coding knowledge that I, at least, just don't have, even for the modeling section.

The provided videos on modeling by MooCha feel incomplete, and don't really go in-depth. I learned how to do some very basic things, but they didn't help going beyond that. Not that I blame them. I completely understand losing the nostalgia factor over time. I just wish there was more.

One specific thing I want to do is create new weapons. I posted a thread a while back on making a smaller version of the Sheriff sword to replace the Katana you find in the Fu Syndicate with. The reality is that I cannot figure out how to do it. Even with MooCha's videos I was just lost...

I'd also like to be able to re-skin characters in the game. As some examples: I'd love to put a Led Zeppelin shirt on Damsel and give Jack a Pink Floyd leather jacket. Not punk, no, but I'd love it. I'd also like to completely change Mitnick's get-up to be a kind of homage to Elliot, the main character from the show Mr. Robot (see attached image).

In general, I want to learn how to add, remove, and change clothes on a character, re-skin them, change hair colors and styles, etc.

Perhaps this just isn't meant to happen... maybe no one has the interest in doing something like a full course on modelling in VTMB. But I'd rather do that than just keep requesting that others do it for me because at some point I'd feel like I should start paying and, being out of a job, I don't have that kind of money right now. I want to learn... I just don't know where to start and could use the help.

I mean help doing the specific things I mention, but in general, as well...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:36:46 PM by NateHevens »

Offline Norrwin

• Fledgling
Re: Request: Modern, Up-To-Date, 101-Friendly, In-Depth Modeling Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 03:48:07 AM »
Someone was asking about texture edits on Reddit, changing hair color, and  I made some posts there.

I can't write what you are asking for because I've only been modding VTMB a few months but it can be frustrating. There are multiple ways and tools to do most things and it is difficult to know what information is up to date and what is out of date.

The Mod Development Guide by Dheu is pretty fantastic, I read through it a few times before I started but I didn't really learn anything until I actually started working with the files. So that is my advice, just jump in and start making a mess and eventually it will be success. Same thing with learning C, read a book but didn't learn anything till I started coding with the book right beside me as I made many, many mistakes.

I started on the video editing guide by MooCHa today and have my first edited model in game... even if it is a very modest edit. I'm only on the sixth video so far though and it seems really good. One thing about modding VTMB... you can't create new models or items (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). You can't even delete or add any vertices just move the existing ones around.

An example of this is if you have the UP Plus look at the Unofficial_Patch\vdata\items\item_w_tzimisce2_claw.txt file. It is apparently unused so Wesp appropriated it to use as a Drivers License for Kent Alan Ryan, according to the text anyway as I've never actually seen it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:19:05 AM by Norrwin »

Offline Norrwin

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:30:56 AM »
I looked into the Sheriff sword and this is what I found.

Go to <base path>\Patch_Extras\Developer Tools\Bloodlines SDK\SDKContent\VpkContent to look for stuff. I found \models\weapons\sheriff_sword\wield\sheriff_sword.mdl. If your SDK is set up like mine I can right click items to bring up context menus for some file types. If not then from the SDK launcher you can run the same programs manually. Right clicking on the MDL and selecting Texture Information I get:

Reading MDL texture data...
> Textures paths: 1
> Textures count: 1
- Path: models\character\npc\unique\Downtown\Sheriff
- Texture: "sheriffsword.vmt"

Checking textures in mod...
- everything is okay.

Press any key to continue . . .

For .tth files I can View, Convert to .vtf..., and Convert to .tga - for MDL files I can View Model, and get Texture Information - and for .tga I can Convert to .vtf..., and Convert to .ttz...

I think you can copy the files you find in VpkContent but I opened the VPK Tool extract tab and start looking for the files in the VPK archives in my own Vampire install directory. Using the path above in the right click Find... context menu then successively right clicking Find Next I found three files in pack006.vpk - sheriff_sword.dx7_2bone.vtx, sheriff_sword.dx80.vtx, and sheriff_sword.mdl and extracted them. I don't know if the dx7 file is important or not, my guess is not.

If the VPK Tool extract functions 'Find...' and 'Find Next' are giving difficulty pay attention that everything has to be in lower case and also watch for \ vs / delimiters in file paths, the Reddit post I linked above might also help a bit.

I did the same thing to find the texture/s but first I have to prefix the path with materials and convert all letters to lower case so I can search in the VPK Tool. I end up with materials\models\character\npc\unique\downtown\sheriff as my search string. Again I start searching and find five files in pack001.vpk and one in pack007.vpk.

There are probably a hundred ways to do all this, I think most people extract every file from all the VPK archives one time and are done with it, or maybe just straight copy them from the Patch Extra VpkContent directories. I just work on one thing, move the completed file to my mod area, then delete everything when I'm done to try and keep my Vampire install area I'm working in clean.

I use PackFile Explorer to generate the Bloodlines_x file to import into Blender. First thing click on the Help menu button at the top left and get help on Key Commands. Note that 'Ctrl G' toggles file cloaking on and off, I almost always want cloaking off, and especially more so when working with models. Find the MDL file/s you either copied or extracted and if some seem missing use 'Ctrl G' to uncloak them.

In PackFile Explorer find the sheriff_sword.mdl then click to highlight it and right click Copy. Now right click on the directory it is in, wield in this case, to select it and from the context menu select 'Paste As D3d.x'. In the video MooCHa is using VampEd to do this part but again there are probably hundreds of ways of doing this. It will create the file sheriff_sword.x file to import into Blender.

From the SDK launcher run Blender [+Scripts] and then Start_Blender.exe from the window it opens. This might work different on some machines I don't know but in any case launch the SDK Blender and import the Bloodlines_x.

Annnddd... the Bloodlines_x file isn't any good, my first clue should have been when I did the conversion I expect to get a .x file and a .tga file but only got the .x file.

At this point I would give up on the Sheriff sword and start on something that the player is supposed to use.

The other option is to try and work out why the .x file isn't any good and how to make a good one, I wouldn't do this because it is too advanced a topic and isn't helping me with learning what I want to actually know, which is how to mod VTMB. Maybe Crowbar or VampED or some other tool would do the job but I already have a thousand things in my work queue that my current tools work for.

Online NateHevens

• Annoying Noob
  • Ancillus
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 04:23:32 AM »
To be fair, you made it a holy hell of a lot further than I did with the sword. Thanks for trying, anyways.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal