collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: HD retexture project phase 1  (Read 3556 times)

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
Re: HD retexture project W.I.P. w/ normal mapping
« Reply #165 on: July 11, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
for the pizza box using O'Tolley's: The Family Place

makes sense from what I've read of the lore.
I'm why we can't have nice things. . .

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2018, 05:02:36 AM »
alright, this may seem odd to anyone who isn't a texture nerd but I'm excited because the cabinets are now a stunning but weathered 4k resolution with very subtle specular lighting. that would be the light dimly reflecting of the high points in the wood grain here seemingly from the light bulb on the ceiling due to the cubemap I chose being black with basically a fuzzy white bit much like the reflection of a lightbulb.
envmap/havenrm
view these fullscreened to really get the subtlety of this spec map on the texture.

this is AFTER facebook's shitty compression.

even better in game, at least through my enb and sweet fx settings.

I need to put them in with the release version.

Before ENB, Sweet FX, and retexture on most items in the shot

After

Before

After

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:40:36 AM by krispy »

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Fledgling
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »
Hot damn. This looks great! I love working with wood textures. I don't think I'll touch the game until this is released.

(btw I have an unexpected afternoon free, so I'm blocking out the boombox. Couldn't stop thinking about fixing it, heh.)

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
I was just thinking while reading this, but is there any plan to also make hd textures for the stock PC's and NPC's? You'd have a great environment, but many of the npc's like Knox have really rough textured outfits, and they may stand out more because of the environmental improvements.

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Fledgling
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
I was just thinking while reading this, but is there any plan to also make hd textures for the stock PC's and NPC's? You'd have a great environment, but many of the npc's like Knox have really rough textured outfits, and they may stand out more because of the environmental improvements.

I've been planning to do this for some time, but I wasn't nearly good enough to share anything when I started. Would take some time, though. Character textures/models can be a bitch to work with.

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2018, 10:00:07 PM »
I currently have a variety of vein patterns, seamless cloth, hair, fur, etc. for just this purpose.

Knox. . . needs his forehead geometry adjusted too. that is a supernaturally thin forehead for the rest of his face, same for mercurio.

somebody made many bad foreheads in game.

The PC looks out of place right now among all these textures. Like mario64 running around in modded fallout new vegas
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:35:36 PM by krispy »

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »
I started on doing the 8 inch tv from the apartment down the hall

vampire_nonsense, I can't wait to see the boombox!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:41:47 PM by krispy »

Offline MasterVampire

• Fledgling
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2018, 12:16:58 AM »
your new screens are way too dark

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2018, 01:36:40 AM »
that is the ENB and sweet fx. I can adjust my gamma to fix it, or tweak with my settings (set up darker shadows because they were silly bright in vanilla) but it's way too brightly lit for a single bare light bulb in each of these locations in vanilla. and those 2 layers of AA I'm running really make this shit pop.
notice the illuminated areas show up looking like they would in a real room with this low level of lighting.

I notice it at least, sitting in a room illuminated by one bare bulb on the ceiling IRL, as I am currently.

since this map has been recompiled, and burgermeister01 says the CQM would likely be redone to work on my recompiled, retextured maps I may change the angle or height of that light a bit to have a slightly more realistic area of illumination. it ignores too much of the top of the room. After all if mods get redone to use my graphics it DOES give the compatibility I was hoping for so tiny fixes on maps I HAVE to recompile seem fine, as long as it's little stuff, I don't go crazy or MOVE important things like triggers, npc's, furniture, and simply stick to adding realism to lighting angles.

making a texture darker changes the amount of light which reflects off it. like in real life. so these looking "too dark" at the top is a mix of the vanilla lighting being shit, and my after effects making up for it combined with the wood just being darker lol.

I can tell you, it's not far off from real life, as I'm looking at a real life parallel right now.

note only the shadows are drastically darker.

note only the shadows are actually darker.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:05:44 AM by krispy »

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2018, 02:19:36 AM »
added bleach and gamma to my sweet fx preset. view on a proper PC monitor fullscreen. to me it looks better than vanilla, and beter than it did before you mentioned the lighting :)

I can't run this without Anti Aliasing lol. and sweet fx/enb combo are needed to get that right, balancing HDR lighting simulation and tweaks to light and shadow color levels is. . . tricky. getting closer, so thanks for the criticism.

the change using 2 levels of AA is as drastic as this demo image, for real.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:38:04 AM by krispy »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2018, 07:47:03 AM »
I am using SweetFX for the AA too ;), but if you continue in your current direction, you should call the result not "HD mod" but "graphical overhaul mod" or something! Because changing lights and NPC models is just beyond what a retexture mod should do :)...

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2018, 08:22:55 AM »
I threw around possible changes I may make to fix issues, none that I implemented into the mod.

as you can see I started fixing the issue without moving a light since it was after effects based to begin with.

the only things in this mod are an ENB preset, sweet fx preset, maps for any level with a texture bug, and textures. Never said it would be any other way. simply thought about possible fixes to an issue since resolved.

any models I do a minor reshape to the distorted proportions of will be in another mod entirely. i only want to fix broken things after all. like unrealistic ratios on humanoids that should look like Humans, or human adjacent. Pinched foreheads, too thick wrists, too big hands. that sort of thing,

wouldn't dream of combining the mods into one :)

No matter what I do when I get to the models we will all still be hobbit sized  :rofl:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:27:48 AM by krispy »

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »
I just did the wall for that upstairs office in the tutorial chopshop. But. . . I don't know the name of the one in the tutorial it seems. Just happened to locate an identical texture to use as a reference.

Anyone know the file name and path for the chop shop office, and 2 tone blue and white hall  walls outside said office?

already have replacements done for both. Just need to put them in game and test.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:59:02 PM by krispy »

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
for the pizza box using O'Tolley's: The Family Place

makes sense from what I've read of the lore.

I'll try and get a reference for the O'Tolley's logo for you.

Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
VTM portal - Tabletop primer

Online krispy

• Ancillus
  • Texture artist
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »
could have sworn those textures (chop shop office and hallway during tutorial) are muswllc and dinwllb from materials/plaster.

is the O'Tolley's logo that burger/circle I see in  some of the PnP book art I've found?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:13:12 AM by krispy »

* Game Files