collapse

Author Topic: How to remove a piece of clothing for a skin mod  (Read 3189 times)

Offline [archive] Grizzly_UK

• Fledgling
Re: How to remove a piece of clothing for a skin mod
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
                OK, first up a few details, I'm working on a skin for Yukie based on her alternative skin found in the game files which has a white jacket. Now, what I want to do is remove her skirt as I want her to have white trousers to match the jacket. Problem is that my attempts at removing the skirt so far have failed. The best I've managed is to remove the texture but the "shape" of the skirt still shows in-game (with a black and white check pattern). I've seen other skin mods where pieces of clothing have been removed, but I haven't been able to find info on how to achieve this.

So, can anyone here give any help or advice please?                        

Offline [archive] Greywaste

• Fledgling
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »
                pm me a mail addy and I'll send you an invisible skirt for her (I made one for one of the armour sets I did for her).

You can see the skirtless version a little in the set on the right of the pic

Offline [archive] Grizzly_UK

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »
                Thanks for the reply, I've sent you a PM!

EDIT: Many thanks to Greywaste, with his help I've removed Yukie's skirt! Now to try and get the trousers "drawn" to match her jacket.                        

Offline [archive] Psybernetic

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
                I still say this is one of the best if not the best reskin job out there. Kind of a shame no one took it to the point that some people took Jeanette or Hellwolve took Heather.                        

Offline [archive] dragon6261

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
                In Reply To #4
 I'm just re-asking the original question.  I'm trying to do the same thing to the tremere female, but also having no luck getting the skirt to dissapear.  is there a certain color that bloodlines considers transparent?  I don't want to remove the skirt from the model as i need it for other textures, but i need someway to make it invisible.                        

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
                In Reply To #10
 Thank you.  and yes paines site is good.

[added Mar  2 2007  6:02AM]

In Reply To #11
 Just a final note, after a couple of mistakes i got it done.  no more skirt, and as a side note the tremere female isn't that bony..  Thanks for your help                        

Offline [archive] Greywaste

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
                In Reply To #5
 You really don't want to remove that skirt *shudder*
 (they saved poly's underneath by flattening the bum and thighs into pancakes)

Should you still want to though, reply and I'll try and see if I can remember the process                        

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
                In Reply To #6
 Yes please, because even a pancake can be given shape using shadows and tones which is one of the few things that i'm actually good at(the list is short).  thank you..                        

Marked as best answer by on Today at 07:38:37 PM

Offline [archive] Year_of_the_Scarab

• Ancillus
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
  • Undo Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #7

No, seriously, trust Grey on this one. the model underneath is *not* the one you see when she's wearing pants. I've went through this ordeal while reskinning the Ventrue fem.

Basically, wherever they could get away with it (read: it was concealed by clothing) Troika left the female models blockier than Ahhhnold's chin. The Tremere's legs in armour 3 (coat), for instance are basically... sticks.

Aaaanyway.

If you really want to find out for yourself, here's what you do (I'm going to assume you already know how to extract files and convert textures; there's a separate tutorial by Hellwolve if you don't, and I'm not going to bloody re-type it), step by step:

* open the texture in photoshop
     * go to the Layers/Channels/Paths tab
     * there should be 4 channels (RGB, Red, Green, Blue)
     * add a new channel (unless the texture already has an alpha...)
     * now, the alpha channel is basically your transparent/opaque switch - black is seethrough, white is solid
     * do your thing here  by coloring the parts you wish to be invisible black (on the *ALPHA* channel you just created, not the R/G/B)
     * save the changes, done (HOWEVER! while saving to DDS save as DXT3 or 5, so the alpha channel is preserved)

Voila. You should be set.

This question has been asked on the boards before numerous times, by the way, so do a bloody SEARCH if any part of the above is unclear, I'll try to dig you up a link to some alpha-tutorial if you need one... I think the SprayShop has/had one. Google it?

peace                        

• Fledgling
    « Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
                    In Reply To #8
     Thank you and yes i understand they're just sticks.  Also has a side note i did do a search and could find no real answer, and second i don't use photoshop instead i have always prefered paint shop pro.
     this is an edit.  paint shop does not seem to be able to add a channel(at least not that i have found yet).  so i will do a search, but if you happen to know where ther is a tut for psp for doing this it would be appreciated.  thank you.

[added Mar  1 2007  3:08PM]

In Reply To #9
     psp will make an alpha channel but i'm not sure how to use it in this instance as it appears it is more for masking than anything else, and it all comes up transparent.                        

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

Offline [archive] Year_of_the_Scarab

• Ancillus
    How to remove a piece of clothing for a skin mod
    « Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
                    In Reply To #9

Not sure what you're asking about. Yes, the alpha channel is used for masking... isn't this the point? You're trying to remove the skirt, yah? Color the skirt section of the texture black (which is considered transparent in alpha), make the rest white (which will remain visible).

Then, modify your *.vmt to allow transparency.

Sigh, I don't remember this stuff too well. Look, here's a link to the reskin I mentioned at Paine's site (best VtB resource on the net btw), I pretty much did back then what you intend to do now, as I shortened the Ventrue's skirt for the reskin

http://paine.planetvampire.gamespy.com/?action=files&op=view&id=469

Just reverse-engineer the files...

peace

[added Mar  2 2007  2:46AM]

About alpha http://thesprayshop.net/tutorials/tut_photoshop_alpha.shtml

[added Mar  2 2007  2:49AM]

Aw, crap, that one was for photoshop; you're using psp. Try this http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc002.html  (Google is your friend)