collapse

* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How can I spawn a particle effect when an NPC dies?  (Read 893 times)

Offline DerKrazyKraut

• Fledgling
How can I spawn a particle effect when an NPC dies?
« on: April 26, 2022, 06:43:23 am »
I'm working on a blood pool mod, but right now I can only make particles appear when NPCs take damage. So how can I spawn them once the NPC dies?

Sample:

Offline argikt

• Antediluvian
Re: How can I spawn a particle effect when an NPC dies?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 04:20:10 pm »
You can make a script that will do it and add it to the vampire utiI, I don't know if there's an easy way for do it...

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 04:45:49 pm »
You can make a script that will do it and add it to the vampire utiI, I don't know if there's an easy way for do it...
But to call such a script you have to add an "OnDeath" command to every killable npc on every map. And afaik you also have to embed a particle emitter on every map as well. Look for "params_particle" entities near the end of the entity lists. Wesp has added two of them on every map for discipline use in dialogs.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline DerKrazyKraut

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 02:11:44 am »
But to call such a script you have to add an "OnDeath" command to every killable npc on every map. And afaik you also have to embed a particle emitter on every map as well. Look for "params_particle" entities near the end of the entity lists. Wesp has added two of them on every map for discipline use in dialogs.

Sorry I'm really new to all this, I've reallyonly been using notepad to mess around and make mods.

So which program from the Bloodlines SDK should I use to explore these?

Offline DerKrazyKraut

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 04:11:40 am »
Nevermind, I've been fiddling with EntSpy to try and figure things out

Offline Mamita

• Ancillus
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 07:10:49 am »
We have a bright one here.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 03:37:12 pm »

Sorry I'm really new to all this, I've reallyonly been using notepad to mess around and make mods.

So which program from the Bloodlines SDK should I use to explore these?
For this I'd use VTMBedit. This program extracts the entity lista of all maps to simple text files, and after editing you can reimport the entities back into the maps.
If it were only a few changes on one or two maps I'd use VPKtools.
Just keep in mind that if you have a game running every map edit will cause problems if your current character has already visited the map.
And I suggest you look for a better editor than notepad. I use notepad++, but not the current version. Instead I'm using v 6.9 because the more recent versions made some changes I really don't like.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline DerKrazyKraut

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 05:23:37 am »
That's one way to do it, I found EntSpy to be more manageable, especially since it has a UI.

I found this entry called Relay_Thug_Death. All enemies on the map trigger this when dying, so maybe to cut down the work, is it possible to just have the particle get triggered within this file?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 12:25:00 pm by DerKrazyKraut »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 02:03:35 pm »
That is just a counter and I don't see how the particles would know where the corpse calling it died.

Offline DerKrazyKraut

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 03:02:29 pm »
That is just a counter and I don't see how the particles would know where the corpse calling it died.

Gotcha ok.

If I have to add it manually to each NPC, I guess I could try. But right now I don't even know if I'm on the right track given my recent interest in modding and limited understanding of it. Recently I tried copying the death particle of the Blood Guardian from the gallery on a Sabbat Thug, and I think I almost had it, but I had no clue what to put under 'origin' in the BSP file.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal