collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Help with editing Obfuscate  (Read 196 times)

Offline l0rdv3ntru3

• Fledgling
Help with editing Obfuscate
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:41:52 pm »

Hello all!

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to change the conditions at which Obfuscate is maintained/breaks in the individual 1-5 levels, but after 1 day of
dissecting VtmB I still can't find the file(s) to be edited. Does any of you know about this?

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
Re: Help with editing Obfuscate
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:22:29 pm »
My guess is these conditions are hardcoded. Not editable at all.  :undecided:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline l0rdv3ntru3

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:38:54 pm »
 Then can you tell me in which file(s) can I find the source code?

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 08:51:26 pm »
Then can you tell me in which file(s) can I find the source code?
Sure. If it still exists, it is locked in a safe somewhere at Activision's HQ. :taunt:
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Online thewarsend

• Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:57:59 am »
Sure. If it still exists, it is locked in a safe somewhere at Activision's HQ. :taunt:

Now, if you could tell us the exact location of the safe...  :smile:

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 02:01:00 pm »

Now, if you could tell us the exact location of the safe...  :smile:
I'm not sure, but I think it's the one in the piranha tank, surrounded by a minefield...
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Online SCO

• Methuselah
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 12:31:07 pm »
The variable in Active_Obfuscate is read only, the decision making that sets it happens in the C++ engine and it only exists not to make a liar of 'someone is watching you you can't activate obfuscate'. The pausing when moving etc happens engine side.

If this was a C# or java game, this is when i'd suggest using a bytecode editing plugin or similar. Bytecode editing is so easy that even a luser like me can do it, and the only tricky bits after you understand the stack, call convention and conditionals, are loops, iterator transformations and varargs functions and the tools do a good job of verifying the bytecode 'makes sense', since it was designed to not run corrupt combinations. I can't stress how useful it was to be able to see all the engine code i wanted at anytime in a very near approximation of the original code (just variables named 'generically' but the function names remaining the same to be able to understand).

In fact, i made a complex code editing mod for shadowrun returns using just a plugin for reflexil + some very simple ide i forget - with a cumbersome process - editing the bytecode line by line, reassemblying and seeing the result (the ide didn't allow modifying the C# code but it allowed me to see it and modify bytecode - but not at the same time, i edited byte code, refreshed it to see the result or if there was a error, repeat)

In C++ though? Forget it, unless you're the kind of person who knows assembly by heart and has a IDE with tools ready to go. Comparing bytecode to obfuscated  C++ disassembly should be a crime against nature. Bytecode is so elegant, and disassembly so fucking ugly.
Bytecode is so easy to insert something in the middle and re-arrange the rest of the program so it still works, dissassembly and reassembly you never know what the fuck a program is indexing directly and there are no automatic tools to not fuck up with 100% accuracy like bytecode. Finally C++ compilers and games are full of horrible copy protection techniques and obfuscation techniques where if you move a single text variable everything fucking breaks (because of the previous problem, on purpose) and more and more horrible things like randomized function names besides. There is no comparison.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:44:25 pm by SCO »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal