collapse

* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: HD textures - Overhaul project  (Read 6035 times)

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
HD textures - Overhaul project
« on: September 08, 2022, 12:36:39 pm »
HI! i'm Omri, i'm working on an Overhauled texture pack and i'm redesigning (slightly) locations as i go.
i'm managing well with all the textures and it looks good, almost done with Santa Monica.

The issue: i can also make Normal maps quite easily and connect them to the VMT files and everything...

but i see 2 problems. (attaching 2 images)

1. The bump map WORKS but there these Odd Colors / Black boxes on the bumped area. No it's not because of the texture. I'm wondering if anyone knows If it's fixable EASILY or this is something in the actual Map which is totally beyond my understanding.

If it's too complex than i'll just won't use the ones that come up f up.

2. The wooden wall for example.
2A. When opening the map from the LOAD MENU sometimes the bumped map doesn't apply the albedo layer (the bump works)
2B. BUT when opening the map INGAME, you go from place to place- it always works.

Again, perhaps i missed anything? perhaps there's something to fix the way the map loads so it will ALWAYS work like the InGame areas?
(In game- through the doors, Load Menu- like the first time you open the game)

The rest work, the bump works well, i'm managing well. but i'm wondering if anyone can help with this topic- i'm not a programmer  :grin:
So HELP ME.

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
Re: HD textures - Overhaul project
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 02:02:34 pm »
I'll take the SILENCE as NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING.

no problem  :cheesy:

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 02:42:42 pm »
Yep, it looks like it. About 150 views and no answer! EndtheWars, do you have any ideas?

Offline thewarsend

• Keeper of Elysium
  • Methuselah
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 08:22:04 pm »
There is no doubt I will explain this poorly but bear with me.

Your problem might have something to do with the way the map was initially compiled. As you might know, with source engine light and shadows are precalculated while compiling and they get stored in the map file. Those bumpmaps didn't originally exist when the map was being compiled, so the game probably doesn't know how to handle it.

Your only option might be to recompile the map, but with our tools being the way they are, they might not work as intended. Same way it breaks water, it might also break bump maps. This is only a guess based on my own experience though, you can only test it to be sure.

Basically what I am telling you to try is, recompile the map with those textures and bumpmaps in place. Recompile with the highest settings. See if it changes anything.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:08:18 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 10:36:38 am »
Got it. @thewaesend

Basically what I am telling you to try is, recompile the map with those textures and bumpmaps in place. Recompile with the highest settings. See if it changes anything.

1. yea i figured, so because it might break the game AND i don't want to mess with this too much i'll just won't bump the textures that go crazy.
i think it's the best viable option, this is a very intense project and i don't want it to become so complex i won't be able to finish it. no one is helping me on this and i need to allocate myself correctly.

i have seen so many people try to do something and they don't set a realistic goal and they eventually abandon the project.
like the one that did the maps with no loading time, that could have been a fantastic feature.

2. AND for the Map loading from a Savegame VS Ingame?
do you know if there's a technical difference? ingame always loads properly.
i thought just to add a disclaimer telling people to go out and in of the saved location.

3. i have a different QUESTION. most of the time i can find textures by looking /identify them and then replace them / upgrade them,

Is there a list i can extract / create of the textures used in a map?

because like in the santa monica beach, there's a goddamn sand texture i've been trying to locate for the last 3 days and i don't understand from where the hell the game pull it out of. i can't find it!

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 11:38:11 am »
It might help if you install the SDK and use the map Decompiler and the Hammer Editor to look for the textures that you can't find. Also are bump maps in any way connected to cube maps? Because you can rebuild the latter from the console, maybe this would get rid of the dark places? Furthermore if you haven't already, check the end of the ModDev Guide...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 11:53:15 am by Wesp5 »

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 05:34:37 pm »
the SDK is already installed, i'm just not good with these technical stuff so i'm asking. i'm very clueless.
As far as i can see Normal / Bump maps are not connected to anything and are a separate entity,
fairly easy to make and attach.

i agree with TheWarSend, it's something with the compile maps and it's too much for me to handle.

But i will check you said the HAMMER / Map Compiler tool.
i'll see what those are about. if i can get just a list it will help.

Thank you! i'm quite close to finishing SantaMonica and i'm dying to start on the characters.
too bad i can't do 3d, i would of fixed em.
but they'll look great.

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 07:49:47 am »

Wesp5 Question.
something very odd happened with the game, some Animated textures stopped working,
i'm attaching.

1. this hud worked, i started by revising the hud design and then i started to work on the game itself.
the line just doesn't come up. (now i'm going back to work on the hud and finalize it)

2. the pier's ferris wheel doesn't have MOVING working lights

3. the beach WAVES don't go back and forth

4. the hud's bubbling blood doesn't go up and down..

but the animation i added for the asylum ceiling (blinking lights, sine) work, same with the fire on the beach (sine).
have i f up anything to make the moving texture animations not work anymore?
do you have a recommendation on what i should do?

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:08:54 am »
something very odd happened with the game, some Animated textures stopped working,
Sorry, but I can't help you here. I never understood the bubbling blood, when I turned it into Faith it stopped animating too. The waves at the beach are a special layer that can get lost very fast if you recompile the map, I don't know anything else or about the other issues. EndtheWars?

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 10:18:44 am »
EndtheWars - just to be clear, i didn't touch the maps. i know nothing of maps.
this just happened.

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 04:00:12 pm »
EndtheWars, Wesp5,

i have another question (which i hope will be the last for a while)

I just finished Santa Monica and i'm going to do the Characters,
but before i start i wanted to ask something.

in the map there are 4 kinds of "Citizens" i managed already to swap the models and rework them, not it.
i wanted to know if it's possible somehow to Add Variations?

like Female_2 is duplicated 5 times. if there a way to tell the game to spawn a few specified models for variety and not the same person?
essentially adding more "civilians"

OR is that something compiled within the map?
i'm asking because some things are really just a txt file, and i didn't find in the forums about Variety in the common npcs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:54:51 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 04:54:20 pm »
Yes, this is set in the map files themselves...

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 08:06:29 pm »
Ok thank you. I preffer to double check everything.
I'll post here a link to a video once i'll wrap santamonica + characters just so you'll see. It looks great.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 10:25:52 pm »
The npc models are set in the map file, but you can change them using a script. This is less invasive than editing the map and you could even randomize, but it still means your mod can only be used with a certain version of the patch.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline thewarsend

• Keeper of Elysium
  • Methuselah
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 11:23:26 pm »
Sorry I couldn't reply for a while. I have been incredibly busy with work lately.

Wesp5 Question.
i'm attaching.

1. this hud worked, i started by revising the hud design and then i started to work on the game itself.
the line just doesn't come up. (now i'm going back to work on the hud and finalize it)

2. the pier's ferris wheel doesn't have MOVING working lights

3. the beach WAVES don't go back and forth

4. the hud's bubbling blood doesn't go up and down..

but the animation i added for the asylum ceiling (blinking lights, sine) work, same with the fire on the beach (sine).
have i f up anything to make the moving texture animations not work anymore?
do you have a recommendation on what i should do?

EndtheWars - just to be clear, i didn't touch the maps. i know nothing of maps.
this just happened.

I believe your issue here doesn't have anything to do with maps. It must have something to do with the way animated textures work in Bloodlines. I can think of two causes for this:

1. Your texture must have "AnimatedTexture" set in the vmt file. If you or the program you use to convert the textures created a vmt file without this setting, animated textures won't work.

2. Animated textures use alpha layer as a base. If your alpha layer isn't as it should be, it will not work. Check the alpha layer of the original texture in photoshop and compare it to the alpha layer of the texture you created. If they are different you will know what to do about it.

There could be other causes as well, but these are the most likely ones. Try these and if it still doesn't work, send me the texture files you created, I will try to look into it when I have some time to spare.

EndtheWars, Wesp5,

i have another question (which i hope will be the last for a while)

I just finished Santa Monica and i'm going to do the Characters,
but before i start i wanted to ask something.

in the map there are 4 kinds of "Citizens" i managed already to swap the models and rework them, not it.
i wanted to know if it's possible somehow to Add Variations?

like Female_2 is duplicated 5 times. if there a way to tell the game to spawn a few specified models for variety and not the same person?
essentially adding more "civilians"

i'm asking because some things are really just a txt file, and i didn't find in the forums about Variety in the common npcs.

Like Wesp5 and Malkav said, it is stored in the map file, but you don't need to edit the maps to do this. There is a tool called "Skin Editor" in the SDK. You can implement additional textures to models here and change which NPC use which texture using Entspy, which is a much better and cleaner way compared to creating a new model file for each new texture.

I wish Wesp5 would use this method for the patch. But he would need to do a lot of cleanup for the old files which wasn't done by using this method, so I understand why he doesn't.

The npc models are set in the map file, but you can change them using a script. This is less invasive than editing the map and you could even randomize, but it still means your mod can only be used with a certain version of the patch.

Like I said, there is a much simpler way of doing this. You don't need a script or anything like that. Also, the method I mentioned can be used with every model without recompiling maps.

Ok thank you. I prefer to double check everything.
I'll post here a link to a video once i'll wrap santamonica + characters just so you'll see. It looks great.

I would love to see it. I will try to help out and offer my knowledge when I can, but I am a bit busy lately, so it might not be often.

Yes, this is set in the map files themselves...

By the way, I think I figured out a way to edit hub maps without worrying about sewer water. It could be done by separating the main map from the sewer map. You would basically have two map files for each hub, one for the street and one for the sewer. You could edit the street map using hammer, deleting the sewer parts, and point the sewer manhole covers to the other map file that contains the unaltered sewer section. You could also edit the unaltered sewer map using Entspy (or some similar tool) so its manholes lead to the correct place on the street map. That would mean a map would be loaded each time you enter and exit the sewers but at least it would allow you to edit the hub maps. I doubt most users would even notice the extra load times though so it shouldn't be a problem.

@OmriKoresh, this could also be used for your mod as well. Since you need to recompile the maps for bumpmaps to work, this method (assuming it would work without causing any other problems) might be your only option. Further edits to hubs could be done to the hubs using this, but since I have no time to test it for now, I need Wesp5's two cents about if it would work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:26:43 pm by thewarsend »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal