collapse

* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: HD textures - Overhaul project  (Read 5983 times)

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
Re: HD textures - Overhaul project
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2022, 09:38:38 pm »
Ha! The animated texture- maybe on some there is this problem good to know. But some stuff worked, now they stopped working. Like the blood time that's on the main hud. It worked earlier and i didn't touch it's vmt but maybe i changed something else without noticing. I'll check it.

For the script,  @thewarsend  @malkav i am not a programmer. I wish i understood how these things work,  i don't. My speciality is textures, art and design.

Tomorrow i'm going back at it, i took a week off to recharge, i'm planning on replacing some ugly models, retexturing them into something else, see if i can bump characters and with fingers crossed i'll be able to make world npcs look better.

Example (attach later) mr dancermale02  (clearly low poly) i want to try and use the dumb hot guy in the beachhouse and retexture him like this guy and see if i can turn him unrecognizable enough for this to work. So fingers crossed! I did figure out how to work with the skin app. It's really amazing.

But yea... I can't do scripts. If someone can i can tell them what i want, but i can't write scripts. So i'll see what i can so. Currently you don't really to install a mod with my pack. You just dump it in.... I think.

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2022, 10:09:38 pm »
this guy

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2022, 10:22:07 pm »
thank you guys, i don't understand about half of what you wrote but i'll let you discuss the issues yourselfs.
i am not changing a thing in the maps or code as i am not a programmer. not my place.

for your knowledge, as i see it- for bump maps they are their own individual "texture" that you just add and define on the VMT. the only problem as i wrote in my original first comment, the game is not compatible in a lot of places with it so it's f up. it does work great on models and i hope characters too. tomorrow i'll start the first character test.

so now i'll focus on the characters of santa monica (+ oceanhouse) and as i said earlier, once i'll wrap SM i'll do some sort of video, hopefully it will look great.

then i'll go to the other locations according to the story, it's the easiest way.
i'm not "giving up" i take breaks, this process should be fun, not a chore.
it takes a lot of painting and a lot of precise work to texture, the large big scaled textures in this pack are blurry and horrifying. and Psycho-a maybe added a few amazing things but he also added some things not as well. so i'm fixing what i can.

so in my own pace, this will be done.

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2022, 07:59:54 am »
it seems the textures are correct and the alpha is correct. i'm attaching here the code for the animation.
again, this is AS IS from the game. SINE animation works, this doesn't. @thewarsend

so again, i have no idea. perhaps with a patch or an upgrade or something some of these animations are now outdated according to a version or something? i have no idea. but i'm attaching the code for you to see.

"VertexLitGeneric"
{
   "$basetexture" "models/scenery/misc/fwheel/whllghts"
   "$selfillum" "1"
   "$surfaceprop" "metal"

"Proxies"
   {
      "AnimatedTexture"
      {
         "animatedTextureVar" "$basetexture"
         "animatedTextureFrameNumVar" "$frame"
         "animatedTextureFrameRate" "10"
      }
   }
}

Offline thewarsend

• Keeper of Elysium
  • Methuselah
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2022, 10:15:32 pm »
Can you post the texture you made so I can check it out? If you didn't change the vmt at all, that means issue is not related to that at all.

If both the alpha and the vmt is correct, that only leaves frames. whllghts texture is supposed to have 8 frames, does the texture you made has those?

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2022, 02:20:42 pm »
no again i didn't make it, that's my point.
it's from the actual unofficial pack
it's suppose to work and it doesn't, same with the water waves. it just doesn't respond although it should.

i converted this animation into a SINE- flashing lights, animation instead, so at least something will happen.
it's the farris wheel's red/orange/yellow lights flicker. so i actually don't have the original texture or animation sequence anymore, this was from a backup i saved. but yes- it had alpha marked correctly in the file, i already checked it- 2 lights in an 8 sequence. again it should have worked.

for the blood HUD that stopped working, i haven't tried to see what i f up there yet, so i'll check it and if i can't figure it out- then i'll bug you.
maybe it has a DirectX version or something that doesn't support those kinds of animations.

On another note i'm doing characters! i used a Jeanette base instead of "Female dancer 2" it's blurry- it's from the IG story i did.
so apparently i can make extremely shiny textures using the bump and bump works OK. i'm on my third person now... i'm replacing most of the lowpoly ones and i'm readjusting the better ones. the world NPCs were really neglected.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2022, 08:23:13 pm »
Niiiice :) love your reskin
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline dracul841

• Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2022, 09:39:05 pm »
the reskin looks amazing, why you are taking screenshots with phone? its 2022 show us your great work in good quality images!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:32:13 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Norrwin

• Ancillus
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2022, 02:35:35 pm »
If you haven't already, I would suggest studying the information on the Valve Developer Community website. There are a lot of peculiar details about the Valve Texture Format that can trip a person up when they start trying to do more complicated stuff.

It doesn't seem like a very user-friendly site, so I'll suggest some pages I find useful as a starting point. Of course, it would be best to go through all the VTF info there but that is difficult as it seems kind of like an endless maze with links pointing everywhere, lots of them dead, and some of them out of date. Material, Valve Texture Format, List of Shader Parameters, $envmap, and $envmapmask.

Modeling and texturing are outside my area of expertise, so I don't know if this information is ignorant or useful. In the VTMB modeling/texturing work that I have done I've found it extremely useful. The reason being, if there are bugs or known issues with parameters, setting, or fields those issues will be documented.

I guess the last word of advice is that because the VTMB Source engine is non-standard, not everything applies/works as it should. But that isn't too big a hurdle, I just set up controlled tests to see what works and what doesn't. From reading your posts i can tell you do the same as well.

Good luck with your project!

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2022, 01:38:26 pm »
@norrwin i know the site, i already looked at many things there, i did not know about reflectivity! this shader list will be useful thanks. i didn't know there's a shader list. the site is very unfriendly.

@dracul841 you'll see the project when it's ready. soon i'll finish the Santa Monica full map and you'll have a chance to see this phase.

@barabbah Thank you!

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2022, 03:08:59 pm »
@Wesp5 @thewarsend @malkav

Another question about all Character's eyes.
 i'm attaching a sample.
the characters have a tendency to all look surprised constantly, mainly something is off with the shader- it's too bright.
and the eyes are too shiny.

I can't seem to find what controls the look of the eyes, do you guy know what does?
can this be changed?

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2022, 03:41:24 pm »
Also when i edit the eyes this happens although i'm using the same exact files. I paint, save and this happens
Which i did already before the same exact process. So i don't understand wtf happened.
what am i doing wrong?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:02:12 pm by OmriKoresh »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2022, 06:15:33 pm »
Ah I remember that. But I don't remember how I've fixed it when it happened to me....

Have you tried to add or reduce the transparent border around the texture of the iris?
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2022, 08:53:59 pm »
Do you mean that the alpha is too close to the edge?

It doesn't matter. Even if i remake the texture files from the converted tga it does this. Like something went skewey. And i already did that before so i don't understand what changed

Offline OmriKoresh

• Fledgling
  • omrikoresh.com
    • omrikoresh.com
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2022, 10:19:18 am »
Update
so apperantly there's this CLAP T and S
i enabled them but now i get this odd dark line, you can see the eye on the left vs the right

BTW i THOUGHT i already created the eyes but i forgot to originally convert them! so silly me.
so this was a problem for me from the beginning.

i have to resolve this somehow.

If anyone has an idea why is there a dark line... please tell me

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal