collapse

Author Topic: Ghanima's Mods  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
Re: Ghanima's Mods
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »
Well, I couldn't find it, but I was able to re-create it and it works! Transparency and all (will add shine later)

And thanks! 😁 It turned out better than I'd hoped, actually; I wasn't sure how those curls would look.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2019, 12:48:36 PM »
I found them if you're interested: Femrave1Lens (yellow transparent) and Femrave1Lenstrans (grey transparent)
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2019, 02:04:01 PM »
Oh, cool! Where was the yellow one?  :chinscratch:
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »
I found it in materials/models/character/npc/common/raver/females/female_raver_1. Of course, you fixed it, so you probably don't need it ^^;;

Nice work on the goth girl's hair!

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
Thanks! Strange that I didn't find it, probably missing that .vmt file Barabbah mentioned. Anyway, that was solved!

However...I am having a different issue now. My normal maps aren't working. I have been making them according to this tutorial (with some difficulty, because I'm not a Gimp user but it's similar enough to Photoshop that I've managed) and the game IS reading the environment mask from the file (so things are definitely shiny) but they have no bumps. Previously I thought the effect was just very subtle but no, they are definitely not working. I can only assume I'm going wrong somewhere creating it, perhaps during that step where I'm supposed to change the RGB to 128,128,255? Is that still needed with the new plugin, even? Or perhaps somewhere else, I don't know.

Although...thinking about it I don't think I've ever seen something bump mapped in this game, vanilla or otherwise (and yes, I have them enabled). What model definitely has them for me to check, does anyone know? Can be a mod, too.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:13:46 PM by Ghanima_Atreides »
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
Thanks! Strange that I didn't find it, probably missing that .vmt file Barabbah mentioned. Anyway, that was solved!

However...I am having a different issue now. My normal maps aren't working. I have been making them according to this tutorial (with some difficulty, because I'm not a Gimp user but it's similar enough to Photoshop that I've managed) and the game IS reading the environment mask from the file (so things are definitely shiny) but they have no bumps. Previously I thought the effect was just very subtle but no, they are definitely not working. I can only assume I'm going wrong somewhere creating it, perhaps during that step where I'm supposed to change the RGB to 128,128,255? Is that still needed with the new plugin, even? Or perhaps somewhere else, I don't know.

Although...thinking about it I don't think I've ever seen something bump mapped in this game, vanilla or otherwise (and yes, I have them enabled). What model definitely has them for me to check, does anyone know? Can be a mod, too.

When I was trying (in vain) to get normal maps to work for a reskin of the boombox, I found a few textures to compare, though I'm not sure they'll help. :/ Under materials/models/scenery/furniture/buddha you'll find several textures which use normals. If you search for "normal" or "bump" you'll usually find other unused maps in the game files. For example, I found a mirror with an envmask and a normal map in materials/models/scenery/structural/malkmirror. I'm not sure any of the vanilla ones show up in-game, however.

I use Photoshop and learned to make my maps using it! Maybe I can help brainstorm if you still need it after this :)

(I don't think fiddling with the RGB makes a noticeable difference, so I'm quite sure it wouldn't make or break your normal maps)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:20:55 AM by vampire_nonsense »

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
I swear I cannot tell if it's working or not.  :facepalm:  :rofl: But I....think it is? It definitely pops out a lot more than on the texture itself... (and I finally managed to make them in Photoshop)

But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2019, 07:56:03 AM »
I have another question: who is she?
― me

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2019, 08:13:58 AM »

Emily, my Toreador. Remember her? It's how I started modding in the first place.  :razz: But I found a better model to use as a base (you'll laugh if I tell you who - the "Junky Girl" from Bishop Vick's crackhouse, who, by the way, really needs a texture update too).
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline argikt

• Antediluvian
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2019, 08:16:31 AM »
This model looks like great! Not a reskin, she has a new face.

very,very nice!

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »

Emily, my Toreador. Remember her? It's how I started modding in the first place.  :razz: But I found a better model to use as a base (you'll laugh if I tell you who - the "Junky Girl" from Bishop Vick's crackhouse, who, by the way, really needs a texture update too).

I couldn't recognize her in that different light :razz: still it's nice
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
As a junkie myself, I'm glad that they did not make her a stereotypical pop culture / goverment bullhit junkie. Your reskin looks very promising.
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2019, 03:39:51 PM »
Thanks! I've been trying to capture her look better, because she's an older character of mine whom I've played in other games as well, such as Fallout: New Vegas and has a rather specific look. So I attempted to give her wavy hair too, for once.

Comparison with the original Emily:

Not QUITE the same, is it? But it may be about as close as I can get in this game.  :justabite:

As for Junky Girl, I hadn't even realised she was meant to be an actual junky (despite being in a crackhouse). I figured she was just some girl who somehow got caught up in the Brotherhood...but yeah, now that I think about it, it makes sense.

Once I'm done with the dancers, I might adapt some of Emily's stuff for her and release a reskin. Her default textures are 256x256 and super-bad.
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline vampire_nonsense

• Neonate
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2019, 04:18:00 PM »
From just a screenshot, the necklaces look kinda flat? maybe? But the jewels on her blouse pop out to me, so who knows. Something I like to do is use Layer Style to add shadows, even bevel/emboss on some things. Even a really subtle tweak can make a big difference.

As for Junky Girl, I hadn't even realised she was meant to be an actual junky (despite being in a crackhouse). I figured she was just some girl who somehow got caught up in the Brotherhood...but yeah, now that I think about it, it makes sense.

Yeah, the Brotherhood preys on the vulnerable in society, so she's just a lost junky they've sucked in. She was also the original Heather Poe (texture/model-wise).

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »
I already did add shadows, although I didn't think of bevel/emboss. I will try that too. Thing is, they're really quite thin, so they don't have enough surface area to pop out too much (and they seem to pop more in some lighting conditions than others, such as the first screenshot I posted).  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I DID notice her textures have Heather's name in them! Interestingly enough, the model for the body is also identical to Tremere Armor 1. Even the textures are similar, just without the arcane pattern on the top.

EDIT: After bevel/emboss (not that there was much to bevel...) I do think they work though, they're just really subtle... if you look close in the render, they are there. You can see around her neckline too.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:53:39 PM by Ghanima_Atreides »
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.