collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: CompMod Beta 4 Tester Invitation  (Read 6714 times)

Offline [archive] Not_Beckett

• Ancillus
Re: CompMod Beta 4 Tester Invitation
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2009, 04:42:00 am »
                Will do.  I'm flying through it now on godmode with pretty much maxed out stats, trying to find any bugs.  I'll have to get the console code to you, Vandal doesn't seem to like to use ranged weapons when I tell him to.  (Sometimes he will, others he just goes hand to hand.)

Question though--how do you get them to change weapons?  They won't get off the damn Colt and use the shotgun or magnum I landed.

Edit: Bummer about the lapdances, but I'm sure I can wait a couple days for the official release to create my madhouse. =P  

Are willing Vampires something that you yourself are looking to implement, or is that something someone else will have to throw together?                        

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2009, 05:02:00 am »
                Weapons : There is no way to assign weapons to an NPC. A technical limitation. The game simply doesn't have a function to do it. The inventory is just to help store extra stuff for now, it doesn't actually control what they use. However... I am considering a hack I thought of for version 2.0 that would allow more control over what they use. I have to run some experiments, so no promises just yet. For the Beta and the official 1.0 version, the weapon is hard coded and map based (sort of like NWN1). The further along in the game you get, the more powerful their weapons should become.  

Willing Vampires : I am going to do some simple edits (nothing elaborate) probably for the 1.1 patch. However I know of others who are working on much more elaborate conversation trees to add to the mod. I suspect there will be a lot of cool new content in 2.0 if all goes as planned.

• Ancillus
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2009, 05:37:00 am »
                Oh, I was thinking also--

What about Mercurio for a willing companion and embrace option?  As he's one of the few truly grateful people in the game to the PC, I think it makes a bit of sense.  Rosa says he's one of the only two people you can trust, too. =p                        

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2009, 11:49:00 am »
                I thought about him, the problem with the Vendors is that there are only 6 vendors in the game and they sell different things. And Mercurio is by far the best one. I can't allow someone to be a vendor AND your travelling companion. 2 reasons, technically, it would be difficult, but logicially it would be way to unfair if you could buy and sell gear as you go.

Vandal was difficult enough. He is one of only 2 venders in the game that sell blood packs.

You had mentioned earlier about people not being in your party. Well... that is already in place for most PCs. Lily and Heather are exceptions because there isn't anywhere for them to return to, but you can tall any member of your haven "I release. Return to the place I found you and remember nothing"... and they will go back to where you found them. Most of them you can pick up again if you simply talk to them.

I am mentioning this now because that is the case with Vandal, though come to think of it I dont mention this in the Getting Started anywhere and I probably should. Anyway, I should probably remove the "don't remember anything" because right now, once someone has been your companion, they still notice and you and ask if you want them to come along.                        

• Ancillus
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »
                Aha.  I didn't quite get that before...I thought "go back to where you were and remember nothing" was the equivalent of kicking them out for good and returning them to the storyline.  Do they still count as one of your 7 companions if you do that?

And as for Merc, I understand.  It'd be a pain in the ass to go through the game without his weapons.                        

Offline [archive] WotanAnubis

• Neonate
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50:00 pm »

Dheu posted:
I thought about him, the problem with the Vendors is that there are only 6 vendors in the game and they sell different things. And Mercurio is by far the best one. I can't allow someone to be a vendor AND your travelling companion. 2 reasons, technically, it would be difficult, but logicially it would be way to unfair if you could buy and sell gear as you go.

Perhaps you could simply ask Mercurio to set up shop in your Haven (wherever it is). He wouldn't travel with you, but if you want to buy stuff from him you'd... buy stuff from him in your Haven rather than in his Santa Monica apartment.

I suppose this doesn't make him a 'true companion', but if you want Mercurio to hang out in your apartment, it could probably work.

After all, in quite a few RPGs with parties not every character is a combat character.                        

• Ancillus
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2009, 02:47:00 pm »

WotanAnubis posted:
Dheu posted:

Perhaps you could simply ask Mercurio to set up shop in your Haven (wherever it is). He wouldn't travel with you, but if you want to buy stuff from him you'd... buy stuff from him in your Haven rather than in his Santa Monica apartment.

I suppose this doesn't make him a 'true companion', but if you want Mercurio to hang out in your apartment, it could probably work.

After all, in quite a few RPGs with parties not every character is a combat character.

Adding to what WotanAnubis said here, what if he'll only sell if he's NOT in your team at the time?  This would prevent the buy-as-you-go function.                        

• Ancillus
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 02:49:00 pm »
                Dheu--curious about your status with the official release.  How's it going?                        

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 07:53:00 pm »
                Spell/Grammar Check : Complete
 Logo Banner : Complete

TODO:

[ ] See if there is a way to prevent name loss bug.
 [ ] Test install on all distributions, play for 45 min and make sure no obvious issues

Probably will upload it to the file distros tonight, but I dont know how long it will take to go live. Normally there is a delay.  Can range anywhere from 8 to 48 hours.

[ ] Create 1 to 2 minute promo video to help create hype <- Can happen after I upload to distro.

• Ancillus
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 08:36:00 pm »
                Then the name loss bug wasn't just me?  That makes me feel a little bit better that my game didn't just shit itself again or something.

It's still very playable either way. =p  Once it's up I'll download it and do another quick runthrough to see if all is well and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for this mod, Dheu, it's wonderful, and I'm glad I get to be part of it, even if I am coming in a bit late. happy                        

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:00 pm »
                I'm not 100% certain what causes the problem. I have save games with broken names, but nothing I did in testing would break the name.. not even reloading old save games.

Regardless I put in a fix for it. When you start a new game, the game will remember your name and everytime you unpossess it will change your name back to what it was when you entered the tutorial. This should make sure the bug goes away regardless of what is causing it.

Again, not going to release a patch for this, but it will be in the final release. Unfortunately you will have to start a new game if you care about the name bug.                        

• Ancillus
CompMod Beta 4 Tester Invitation
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 02:06:00 am »
                I plan on starting a new game to test out the official release anyway.

With the name break bug, did you have saved games where they -weren't- broken?  What I'm essentially asking is if this is simply a random occurrence.  Not that I can fix it or anything, it just seems strange to me.  I'm assuming it's the first person you possess if it happens at all.                        

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal