collapse

Author Topic: Changing a PCs Dialogue  (Read 149 times)

Offline NateHevens

• Annoying Noob
  • Neonate
Changing a PCs Dialogue
« on: September 08, 2019, 03:56:46 AM »
Okay so I'm sure I'm gonna get hate for this but... I want to play as a Malkavian, but without the crazy dialogue. I realize I'm in a minority on this (same with the dancing, honestly), but I don't like it. I don't like the interactions.

In UP+, one of the available histories is Subtly Insane, which is supposed to give my Malkavian access to the normal dialogue lines.

That history does not exist in Clan Quest. So I copied the relevant .txt files (clandoc000.txt, histories000.txt, and traiteffects000.txt) from the system folder of UP+ to the system folder of Clan Quest (of course I saved the original Clan Quest files into a back up folder first... obviously). This gave me access to the history, but my Malkavian is still using the typical Malkavian dialogue.

How do I change that? How do I have my Malkavian use normal dialogue?

(A step-by-step, tutorial style answer would be appreciated... lol)

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
Re: Changing a PCs Dialogue
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 04:24:20 AM »
Expect several bugs by copying files from one version to another: you should instead check in each files which changes are made and see if you can add the history effect to CQ. Regarding the files needed to apply the change, I need to see the files myself when I'm more awake (it's 5:20 here) and even then I won't guarantee I can be able to see what is missing (maybe someone else more skilled on the matter can help you....)
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline NateHevens

• Annoying Noob
  • Neonate
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 04:59:52 AM »
Expect several bugs by copying files from one version to another: you should instead check in each files which changes are made and see if you can add the history effect to CQ. Regarding the files needed to apply the change, I need to see the files myself when I'm more awake (it's 5:20 here) and even then I won't guarantee I can be able to see what is missing (maybe someone else more skilled on the matter can help you....)

Yeah I should have been more specific... sorry. I made sure everything else was equal and that all I was changing was adding the Subtly Insane history for Malkavian. Everything else stayed pretty much identical from what I can tell.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 06:52:29 AM »
The description of the "subtly insane" history is misleading. The dialogs are not changed to normal.
If you want to get normal dialogs for your Malk, in most cases it is enough to delete the text in the last set of braces in each dialog line.
Of course this doesn't cover special cases where the Malk gets a different npc response due to insight or extremely silly speaches.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline NateHevens

• Annoying Noob
  • Neonate
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 07:43:25 AM »
The description of the "subtly insane" history is misleading. The dialogs are not changed to normal.
If you want to get normal dialogs for your Malk, in most cases it is enough to delete the text in the last set of braces in each dialog line.
Of course this doesn't cover special cases where the Malk gets a different npc response due to insight or extremely silly speaches.

Oh. Well that sucks. So I'll have to go through and edit each DLG, then... ugh...

I really want to play through as a Malk, though, so... guess I'll just put up with the silly speech. I just wonder why I have to have a silly speech when Tourette's speech is entirely fine...

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »
Each malk act malkish in its own way
Anyway, at least there is the optional "no crazy font" fix....
― me

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »
You could try to swap the Malk entries in clandoc with those for Brujah or Gangrel. That should only have minor effects on gamplay, like you get a specific response if you ask Bertram about a different clan than your own.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline blacksnk7

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 03:41:40 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you want to play as? Do you want to get rid of the crazy dialogue but still be referred to as "Malkavian" by the NPC's? Do you like Dementation but hate the unique dialogue?

Offline NateHevens

• Annoying Noob
  • Neonate
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you want to play as? Do you want to get rid of the crazy dialogue but still be referred to as "Malkavian" by the NPC's? Do you like Dementation but hate the unique dialogue?

I'm okay with the dialogue when using Dementation, but in general I find it to be clunky and hard to navigate. In certain situations I have trouble picking out which dialogue to use. I guess I wish it was... well... more subtle. I'm not saying I don't want to use it 100% of the time. Just... less of the time.

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
Try the "no malk font" fix, maybe that helps a bit
― me

Offline NateHevens

• Annoying Noob