collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Canned map  (Read 15858 times)

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
Canned map
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:13:11 am »
Oh wow, forgot I had this map floating around in my hard drive for years, mainly started working on it for Resurgence then slowly forgot about it. Managed to get them compiled with the Unofficial SDK after a few fixing on the map. Either way, here are some of the shots, even if they are mostly just a few blocked out buildings with dev textures.

Offline Zer0Morph

• Methuselah
    • Team Camarilla International
Re: Canned map
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:24:45 am »
Awesome!! Could these be used in Bloodlines (regular Source version)?

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:05:49 am »
Oh, but this is being used in regular Bloodlines, hence the "compiled with Unofficial SDK". :) I honestly can't remember where I wanted to go with this map, probably some courtyard like map to have a custom Haven for a specific clan on it.

Offline Zer0Morph

• Methuselah
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:25:56 am »
Oh, but this is being used in regular Bloodlines, hence the "compiled with Unofficial SDK". :) I honestly can't remember where I wanted to go with this map, probably some courtyard like map to have a custom Haven for a specific clan on it.

Why aren't you and Wesp working together building "Act 5" of Bloodlines. Actually, could I hire you two to make maps for TFN?  :rock:  HAHA

Offline DiamondBorne

• Ancillus
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:10:35 am »
Very cool, VTMB needs more vertical map.

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:01 pm »
Why aren't you and Wesp working together building "Act 5" of Bloodlines. Actually, could I hire you two to make maps for TFN?  :rock:  HAHA
It's been a long time since I've done any maps for any Source game, feels a bit cumbersome to come from modeling back to using Hammer, but nevertheless think it's a good opportunity to brush off the dust on Hammer and try to finish up the map. I remember the countless frustrations I had with Hammer when working on Resurgence under Alien Swarm. That used to crash at least 20 times a day, but so far the unofficial SDK proves to be stable on custom maps that aren't decompiled from Bloodlines. :)
I would have probably considered it an option if my time and work wouldn't be caught up already. I'll consider working on it just for fun and see where it'll lead me, and will keep posting future screenshots during it progresses.

Very cool, VTMB needs more vertical map.
Agreed, there are bound to be some maps that break that concept and try to do something different. If we focus too much on what is lore and what isn't, we'll loose a lot of freedom in creativity that allows us to go with the flow.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:12:35 am »
That used to crash at least 20 times a day, but so far the unofficial SDK proves to be stable on custom maps that aren't decompiled from Bloodlines. :)

Yeah, I noticed this too. As soon as you open some decompiled map the crash frequency rises sharply. Still Hammer crashes a lot for my taste anyway, especially when creating new entities or changing entities. It's easier to just copy and paste them!

I'll consider working on it just for fun and see where it'll lead me, and will keep posting future screenshots during it progresses.

Cool! Any infos about your new project or will you wait until Antitribu is released? I still could imagine you doing a true sequel to Bloodlines, or an "act 5" as Zer0 calls it for good old Bloodlines itself. You're probably the best Source mapper we have :)!

Offline Zer0Morph

• Methuselah
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:19:23 pm »
Cool! Any infos about your new project or will you wait until Antitribu is released? I still could imagine you doing a true sequel to Bloodlines, or an "act 5" as Zer0 calls it for good old Bloodlines itself. You're probably the best Source mapper we have :)!

I couldn't agree more, Wesp! Arthur's work with Vaulderie blew my mind, so much that I downloaded Unity this week and began learning how to use it along with Java Script (which would replace Python). If the community ever decided to create additional maps for Source I would be interested in creating an 'Act 5' however in the meantime, I'd like to continue learning Unity for a new project entirely.

Offline DiamondBorne

• Ancillus
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:27:29 am »
So, right now it's easier to create entirely new map than changing or editing an existing map?

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 05:19:01 pm »
Yeah, I noticed this too. As soon as you open some decompiled map the crash frequency rises sharply. Still Hammer crashes a lot for my taste anyway, especially when creating new entities or changing entities. It's easier to just copy and paste them!
Sadly the same issues arise on newer versions, especially when using the Properties window. Mainly has to do with the way keyvalues are read but it can also be model rendering issue.

It'll have to wait until Antitribu is released, before any official announcement on it. :) As for a sequel, that's going to take a lot longer than you'd think with the current toolset we have. Unless it'll spark enough interest to extend the unofficial SDK and add proper model/VPK support. Making it easy friendly certainly has its benefits.

I couldn't agree more, Wesp! Arthur's work with Vaulderie blew my mind, so much that I downloaded Unity this week and began learning how to use it along with Java Script (which would replace Python). If the community ever decided to create additional maps for Source I would be interested in creating an 'Act 5' however in the meantime, I'd like to continue learning Unity for a new project entirely.
Nice to see others diving into Unity, especially being influenced by the work put on Vaulderie. :) Once you go full Unity there's no return, so don't blame me if going back to Source is going to be a drag, haha.

So, right now it's easier to create entirely new map than changing or editing an existing map?
It's easier in the sense that what you create is not a decompiled map, and thus it doesn't have such issues that show up during decompilation, such as lost brushes, missing entities or anything that would break the map.

Now for the fun part, been working a bit on it. Got to texture most of the part, but there's just something about the textures that don't fit in well at all. Might need to restructure them but for now I just go with the flow.

Massive gallery with cheap lighting incoming:

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 06:33:34 pm »
I like it!
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Blood of Nightmares

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 07:22:34 pm »
Seems like creating new maps is now 'possible' but question is, will even anyone bother with this? Also I don't think adding/creating new material (weapons, characters, etc) is even possible either with model swapping.

I'm sorry but without Project Valudrie, regardless of legal issues (which was a coward move bowing down to them instead of fighting them) I don't see anything of this going any further. Unless there's any work being done on Project Rava which I haven't heard anything about since then since creating new material is tedious and people would end up abandoning it I'm afraid.

Offline Leorgrium

• Brujah
  • Neonate
  • Brujah
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 07:33:57 pm »
 :holy: looks amazing....Great job Arthur as always:)

Everybody Lies...
PlanetVampire Discord Channel: https://discord.io/planetvampire

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 07:46:38 pm »
Seems like creating new maps is now 'possible' but question is, will even anyone bother with this? Also I don't think adding/creating new material (weapons, characters, etc) is even possible either with model swapping.

I'm sorry but without Project Valudrie, regardless of legal issues (which was a coward move bowing down to them instead of fighting them) I don't see anything of this going any further. Unless there's any work being done on Project Rava which I haven't heard anything about since then since creating new material is tedious and people would end up abandoning it I'm afraid.

Creating maps for Bloodlines was always possible since the unofficial SDK was released, else there wouldn't be the library map or any other, just that it's rather tedious and has a lot of instability issues. Creating new materials was again possible else mods and reskins would have never been existed. Adding new models is where the real issue is, you're limited to same vertex limit or simpler prop models.

Associating myself with the project would bring more setbacks in the future, something I wouldn't want to go for. As for the new project, as stated earlier, more will be unveiled after Antitribu is released.

Also noticed someone on Twitter posted about it. Just a little heads up, this is not an unfinished level made by Troika, it's just a small project I started up long time ago and thought on picking up. :)

I like it!
:holy: looks amazing....Great job Arthur as always:)
Thank you, hopefully I'll get something planned out off this concept and get to do some quests or something unrelated to the main game, as a side dish.

Online Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:27 pm »
Looks really good.

For quests. Well, there are people out here who can script a quest if they have a map. Problem as always is voice acting and lip files.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal