collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Bloodlines SDK: Help wanted!  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Psycho-A

• Russian Board Moderator
  • Methuselah
  • Bloodlines SDK developer
Bloodlines SDK: Help wanted!
« on: August 09, 2017, 05:14:31 pm »
Hello all Kindred!

As you know, I'm developing the Bloodlines SDK, the toolkit for Bloodlines modding.

For now, during my troubled life, I have not much time and opportunities to continue deep developing works on SDK, especially programmer's part, in which I'm still not so good enough - so, I just wanted to attract some people that interested in the future fate of the project, and Bloodlines modding as a whole. All other developers had abandoned their works, but the SDK is still have a lot of unsolved issues I can't solve myself - that's why I'll be glad ANY possible help!

Here are list of most important goals and issues:

1) Vtmb's MDL format is different that HL2Beta's one, and it's not enough reversed by us, so it's not possible to view or handle model animations in the Hammer or Model Viewer, and it's impossible to compile animated models at all.

2) We also have some problems with bones placement and hitboxes structures; as result, compiled models have no NPC collitions or have incorrect origins. Only single-boned prop models with Type 0 (uncompressed) may be compiled with limitations for now.

3) BSP compilers can't compile the water brushes (water is not drawing in game). Something's different in water lump structure between HL2Beta and Vtmb, and I can't find, what.

4) Something in Vtmb's BSP structures interrupts to use precipitation particles (like rain) - they just stucks not being penetrate inside the world, like it's bounded with some collision.

5) VRAD map compiler have serious drawback - we can't get adequate shadows from prop_static complex non-convex models, because only convex hull or collision mesh uses for projecting lightmaps (because of this we need to disable prop_static shadows at all, and artificially create brush models with shadow texture around it, to get a correct shadowsfrom objects like gratings, shelves etc).

6) Game's entity data for using in Hammer were obtained just by way of learning existing guides and source .vmf files, so some entities and its properties are still unknown, excess or missing. To made it as objective as possible, the reversing of client and server DLLs data required which I can't do myself as well...

7) For comfort work, the Hammer editor requires the next features from newer Source's versions:
- Auto VisGroups by entity types;
- Sound subsystem for quick realtime choosing required sound from existing file system;
- Built-in model browser for the same kind of purposes (it's really hard);
- Drawing model's wireframes in 2D-cameras.
All of these goals have a source code from src2007, but it's hard for me to port this, especially using Visual Studio 6 (98) which is able to compile the SDK code only.

8) Made ability for Model Browser export models as SMD+QC (for compiler) or .X (for Blender editing).

9) Make FacePoser work and load models with facial animations and gestures to directly manage .vcd and lipsync files.

10) Make Hammer and Model Viewer directly load game content from its VPK files. Source code for VPK format is easy and presented, but it's hard to integrate it for all FileSystem's elements.

I know there are people here that are good in programming, modelling and game reversing, so please, if you have some time, don't pass it by..

The source code is uploaded on the SDK page on P.V., and there is the link to the workable portable VS98 for compiling. Also, there are some instructions in the SDK's readme file. Ask me about anything you interested, I'll answer you all the time.

Thank you for your attention.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:21:53 pm by Psycho-A »

Offline Morslyte

• Neonate
    • The Confession
Re: Bloodlines SDK: Help wanted!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:23:32 am »
I don't know either how to program nor how to design, but if there is anything, anything that I can do, I'd be glad to help in anyway I can.
Join the Confession Club on Discord, a place for VtM fans and players!

Discord server: https://discord.me/theconfession / https://discord.gg/Kfakc8r
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/theconfession

Offline Psycho-A

• Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:06:14 pm »
I don't know either how to program nor how to design, but if there is anything, anything that I can do, I'd be glad to help in anyway I can.
For now that's all we need to get the SDK complete.
However, if you know well about the game entities and their parameters, inputs and outputs, you just may help to figure out, which each of them does and means. In Hammer editor there are still lots of properties marked "unknown" or "untested". Or you just may look at them more deployed, just opening files with vampire*.fgd files (using notepad) inside of SDKBinaries directory. It's not a programmer's part.

Offline InTech

• Ancillus
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:12:45 pm »
Tweeted the thread on my Twitter, hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:15:51 pm by InTech »

Offline Psycho-A

• Methuselah
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:14 pm »
Thanks! I don't use Twitter, so if there will be some movement, please, let me know.

Offline Morslyte

• Neonate
    • The Confession
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:07:48 pm »
However, if you know well about the game entities and their parameters, inputs and outputs, you just may help to figure out, which each of them does and means. In Hammer editor there are still lots of properties marked "unknown" or "untested". Or you just may look at them more deployed, just opening files with vampire*.fgd files (using notepad) inside of SDKBinaries directory. It's not a programmer's part.

I don't even know what that is! XD

Isn't there anything else that isn't techy?

Offline InTech

• Ancillus
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:41:48 pm »
Thanks! I don't use Twitter, so if there will be some movement, please, let me know.

I'm pretty new to it really, so we'll see but hopefully if we spread the net out wide and others do the same on social media we will find interest.
Any chance of this getting Front Paged/Tweeted on the official Planet Vampire social media channels?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:23:46 pm by InTech »

Offline Morslyte

• Neonate
    • The Confession
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 12:09:36 am »

I'm pretty new to it really, so we'll see but hopefully if we spread the net out wide and others do the same on social media we will find interest.
Any chance of this getting Front Paged/Tweeted on the official Planet Vampire social media channels?

I have a group for VtM, I could ad it for you there if you want. Send me whatever you need by PM. Or go in there and tell about it. Link is below \/.

Offline MadamePhoenica

• Childe Of The Korn
  • Neonate
  • Hello Kitten
    • Drusilla's Lair v3.2
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:56:07 pm »

I might end up having a look at these as I explore Hammer editor more. If I discover anything important, I'll post it in this topic

Offline Psycho-A

• Methuselah
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:51:52 am »
I might end up having a look at these as I explore Hammer editor more. If I discover anything important, I'll post it in this topic
Thanks, it would be very useful help. You better send me your results via PM since it would be nice to keep first posts of this topic quickly available for new readers.

Offline MadamePhoenica

• Childe Of The Korn
  • Neonate
  • Hello Kitten
    • Drusilla's Lair v3.2
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 01:14:30 pm »
At this point I haven't learned much, anyway. I've been testing out some of those unknown flags, but so far they don't seem to do anything. More extensive testing will be done over time

Offline thewarsend

• Keeper of Elysium
  • Methuselah
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 07:41:43 pm »
I am just going to resurrect this thread with the hope of someone who can actually fix the SDK may see it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal