collapse

Author Topic: Best mod for a "vanilla plus" experience?  (Read 486 times)

Offline Countess_Isolde

• Fledgling
Best mod for a "vanilla plus" experience?
« on: February 08, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
Hey everyone.

After hearing Darling Violetta come up on random play while I was listening to music, I was overwhelmed with an enormous nostalgia wave and an irrepressible desire to play Bloodlines.

I've not played the game since 2007, when I was once active on the old PV. I remember being a vocal critic of the Unofficial Patch and an irritating purist - fortunately that has changed.

I've been playing the pen and paper game on and off since then, so perhaps my tastes have matured.

I want a wee bit more more than vanilla experience, and at the moment I feel spoiled for choice.

I can't decide between Camarilla Edition, Unofficial Patch Plus, and Clan Quest Mod. They all seem to provide the sort of thing I'm looking for, but I'm finding it hard to compare their merits.

I'm likely to play as a Anarch/Independent aligned Toreador or Ventrue (I will do a Sabbat playthrough of CQM eventually just not now! Same goes for the Antitribu Mod, which is just different enough that it won't scratch the itch I want.), so I'm not sure of which overhaul would give me the best experience.

Can anyone give me a brief rundown of what sort of experience I'll expect in each one?

I know I'm being exceptionally annoying.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
Re: Best mod for a "vanilla plus" experience?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
No problem :)

There are actually many choices:
- the Camarilla Edition mod a while back evolved in the Final Nights mod, features both the gameplay changes and 7 new clans
- the UP plus restored many interesting stuff, specially some new or expanded maps (in my opinion the top of the cream are the Malkavian Mansion maze and the Library)
- the Clan Quest mod adds tons of new stuff like several missions and a new optional main quest were you can join the sabbat (plus the installer lets you add optionally other mini mods like lite versions of the Camarilla and the Companion mod)
- the Antitribu mod as now is still in a sort of demo stage but still offers much new stuff. One of the creator is working on finishing it so I suggest to keep it for last and wait the new version
- and last but not least, the War Games mod, a completely new story set in the World War 2. Still a demo (no ending yet released) but still a great new experience
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me (on changing my mind on deleting cheeks for a mod)

Online TF Alex Burton

• Formally known as the Shadow Man
  • Antediluvian
    • Terror Firma by Alex Burton
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
No problem :)

There are actually many choices:
- the Camarilla Edition mod a while back evolved in the Final Nights mod, features both the gameplay changes and 7 new clans.

Well actually the Camarilla Edition and Final Nights exist as two separate but connected mods. I believe the Camarilla Edition is the superior of the two though. Both the Camarilla Editon and Final Nights mainly change the disciplines, though I would say I buy the Camarilla Edition changes a lot more the Final Nights ones. Though both add one or two quests.
Also Barabbah I believe the term is Alpha rather than Demo, the rest you say is pretty accurate.

I will say that the Clan Quest Mod 4.0 is properly the best mod I've ever played for Bloodlines. The Antribu Mod is pretty buggy but makes the largest changes to disciplines and is fun to play with. They have plans to add new quests, which right now manifest as simply additional enemies.

I'm actually currently doing a Let's Play of the War Games Mod.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:47:23 PM »
1. The creator of the FN mod built it on the latest version of the CE mod, also made by him, so I thought it's somewhat of a continuation/expansion/derivation
2. Which you mean is on alpha stage, AT or WG?
3. Thanks for the corrections

Offline Countess_Isolde

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 12:21:08 AM »
So in effect, CQM is UP Plus with some extra content on top?

It seems the focus is heavily on the Sabbat - is there still decent stuff for Camarilla/Anarch characters?

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 03:25:35 AM »
A ton of extra content. For each clan, there's an unique questline, plus Sabbat route. These quests are mostly linear and lack alternative resolutions, but still interesting enough to me.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 04:31:18 AM by deicide »
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 05:19:00 AM »
So in effect, CQM is UP Plus

Yes and no. Technically is built on top on the UP basic but one of the options in the installer is to add the plus content.
And the poster quests are removed in both cases (technical constraints, at least those rewards are unlocked through the course of the game).

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
I would suggest if you want "vanilla plus" you should start with the UP plus, which has a lot of stuff even the CQM hasn't. After that play CQM 4.0 with CE active then you have the Camarilla clans with the Sabbat option and everything. After that try TFN and ATM for the other clans...

Online TF Alex Burton

• Formally known as the Shadow Man
  • Antediluvian
    • Terror Firma by Alex Burton
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
1. The creator of the FN mod built it on the latest version of the CE mod, also made by him, so I thought it's somewhat of a continuation/expansion/derivation
2. Which you mean is on alpha stage, AT or WG?
3. Thanks for the corrections

1. I suppose derivation might fit it. The Final Nights mod is built on the Camarilla Edition and includes many of its additions and changes but both continue to exist as separate mods. In fact most mods seem to be built on the Camarila Edition. Though I can't really think of anything the Camarilla Edition actually added other than two quests and a way to enslave NPCs.

2. I suppose both. I'm far from an expert on game jargon so I may be off here.

3. Your welcome.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:05:00 AM »

1. I suppose derivation might fit it. The Final Nights mod is built on the Camarilla Edition and includes many of its additions and changes but both continue to exist as separate mods. In fact most mods seem to be built on the Camarila Edition. Though I can't really think of anything the Camarilla Edition actually added other than two quests and a way to enslave NPCs.
Now you got a few things mixed up. The option to enslave npcs is from Companion Mod, a very old mod by Dheu. Clan Quest allows for a simplified version of this to be added as well as for a simplified version of Camarilla Edition.
CE was originally created by Zer0morph and the first versions were mostly about modiifed disciplines and the bloodloss timer.
Then, I think it was after version 1.2, Zer0 left CE to me and went on to make TFN.
The new quests that appear in both mods were created at about that time by both of us for use in both mods.
It is true that my name appears as uploader for some TFN stuff, too. That is because Zer0 was burt out after TFN 1.4, so I published the bug fixes and the mod loader conversion for TFN 1.4.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »
That explains it all. I always thought CE evolved into TFN after the last version was completed, no parallel branches in short.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:37:12 PM by Wesp5 »