collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Basic (Re)Skinning Tutorial  (Read 12727 times)

Offline [archive] Xeranx

• Fledgling
Re: Basic (Re)Skinning Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2005, 12:11:00 AM »
                In Reply To #13

I was using firefox, Hellwolve.  I tried twice yesterdat, but never made it through.  I was able to go to another portion of Nvidia's site so I believe my browser wasn't the problem.                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] ReAnimator34020190

• Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 04:54:00 AM »
                In Reply To #1

Gotta give my Props to Hellwolve for a nice tutorial and great texure work. I my self shudder at the thought of re-texturing a model without DeepPaint or at least a set of flattened uvs. I could make some UV templates for some of the characters like VV, Heather or Jeanette if someone wanted to host them. Here is an example of UVs for VV's body. I see a lot of really good work posted here I just thought this might make life just a little easier.

ReAnimator

Offline [archive] Hellwolve

• Neonate
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 05:12:00 AM »

Xeranx 369 posted:

In Reply To #13

I was using firefox, Hellwolve.  I tried twice yesterdat, but never made it through.  I was able to go to another portion of Nvidia's site so I believe my browser wasn't the problem.</quote>

Well, I was using IE, and I got through just fine...If I were you, I'd try IE...it may just be firefox anyway ;-P

ReAnimator posted:

Gotta give my Props to Hellwolve for a nice tutorial and great texure work.

<quote by="ReAnimator">
 I my self shudder at the thought of re-texturing a model without DeepPaint or at least a set of flattened uvs. I could make some UV templates for some of the characters like VV, Heather or Jeanette if someone wanted to host them. Here is an example of UVs for VV's body. I see a lot of really good work posted here I just thought this might make life just a little easier.

I shudder at such thoughts too...but sometimes ya gotta make due with what you have, which I did.

Which brings me to the following question: how did you manage to get that UV layout?                        

-----signature-----
           -----------------------
 "I heard his eerie howling, the lone wolf calling his kindred across the plains"    

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 05:51:00 AM »
                In Reply To #18

I made the UV layout after I finished the modeling the character happy

-R                        

• Neonate
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 07:55:00 AM »

ReAnimator posted:

In Reply To #18

I made the UV layout after I finished the modeling the character happy

Hold it, hold it...time out!

You're one of the Troika employees who did the moddeling?

That's...well, close to a gift from heaven ;-)

Two questions:
 - Could you supply more UV layouts?
 - How did you export your models to the Bloodlines engine?                        

-----signature-----
           -----------------------
 "I heard his eerie howling, the lone wolf calling his kindred across the plains"    

Offline [archive] Xeranx

• Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »
                In Reply To #18

Just tried it with Firefox again to test it and it worked.  May have been the site itself.                        

-----signature-----

• Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »
                In Reply To #20

well ex-troika anyway...

I could easliy make more UV layouts but I could only make them for the models I worked on and if someone wanted to host them that would be great.

as far as model exporting and importing and set-up thats a Giant bag of worms. Ill look into it and if I find a solution Ill let you know.

R-                        

• Neonate
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »

Xeranx 369 posted:

In Reply To #18

Just tried it with Firefox again to test it and it worked.  May have been the site itself.</quote>

Yeah, who knows. If there's one certainty with the 'net, is that it's quircky now and then ;-)

ReAnimator posted:

In Reply To #20

well ex-troika anyway...</quote>

Nevertheless, your help is apriciated :-)

<quote by="ReAnimator">I could easliy make more UV layouts but I could only make them for the models I worked on and if someone wanted to host them that would be great.

I can host 'em! And, I always say: the more, the merrier, so go right ahead and make any you can and want to make.

<quote by="ReAnimator">as far as model exporting and importing and set-up thats a Giant bag of worms. Ill look into it and if I find a solution Ill let you know.

I'm looking forward to what you may be able to dig up. Don't forget that if, at one point in time, you're sure you won't get anywhere, to let us know as well; that'll keep us from keeping hope.                        

-----signature-----
           -----------------------

• Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
                In Reply To #23

Ill try yo get more UV layouts of characters I modeled here is a short list off the top of my head
 Jeanette
 Therese
 VV
 Heather
 FemaleVampireHunter
 Yukie

I modeled some of the monsters too but its really a huge loss that the normal mapping broke right before shipping that was a ton of work that will never be seen. If you could have only seen how Andrei or Ming Xiao were supposed to shade in the engine the Protean Beastform too was set up for normal mappin. Maybe Ill post some pics of how they look with normal maps its really night and day.

-R

• Neonate
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »
                'aight, very well. Send 'em to j_van_den_bos@hotmail.com when you're done; I'll put 'em up for public viewing.

As for those shots...well, at one hand, I don't want to be tanuted by what could have been, and at the other hand, I like eyecandy...post at your own risk ;-)                        

-----signature-----
           -----------------------

Offline [archive] Entropy13970657

• Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »
                If you need an additional mirror, you know how to contact me :-)                        

Offline [archive] cryofpaine

• Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
                Since there's really only one option for modding this so far, I think many people will be interested in how, and it's great to have all the info in one place.  

The suggestion about the .DDS files would be helpful.  There's so many options, and I don't have a clue which ones to choose.  Fortunately it worked out ok (as far as I can see).  

I'd also suggest a couple trouble spots to add.  First, let people know that when they change the path in the model file, that they have to end in "/".  The second is to mention that the .VMT files need to be changed as well.  The devil is in the details as they say.                        

• Neonate
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 07:42:00 PM »

cry_of_paine posted:

Since there's really only one option for modding this so far, I think many people will be interested in how, and it's great to have all the info in one place.

The suggestion about the .DDS files would be helpful.  There's so many options, and I don't have a clue which ones to choose.  Fortunately it worked out ok (as far as I can see).</quote>

Yes, I'll add a note or two about DDS.

cry_of_paine posted:
First, let people know that when they change the path in the model file, that they have to end in "/".

Maybe I'll do something with it...strictly speaking, it's not neccesary, as this currently is concentrated on retexturing, but some added pointer will prove usefull.

<quote by="cry_of_paine">The second is to mention that the .VMT files need to be changed as well.  The devil is in the details as they say.  

See above :-)                        

-----signature-----
           -----------------------

Offline [archive] H2HSnake31347029

• Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »
                I've started skinning tnx to you hellwolve happy  tnx for the tutorial.CAn you make another tutorial about how to create working PC models and not alter npc's? when using their textures and models?                        

• Neonate
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »

Corduroy posted:
I've started skinning tnx to you hellwolve happy  tnx for the tutorial.</quote>

You're welcome, as well as everyone else that finds some use in it :-)

<quote by="Corduroy">CAn you make another tutorial about how to create working PC models and not alter npc's? when using their textures and models?

Perhaps I'll do so...first I'll have to update this one.                        

-----signature-----
           -----------------------

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal