collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Adding new weapons  (Read 341 times)

Offline Ivanael

• Fledgling
Adding new weapons
« on: March 17, 2020, 02:28:34 pm »
I've been trying to add some weapons from the Antitribu mod to my game without replacing the original ones, but to no avail, they don't appear in the game. I used some of the existing weapons text files from vdata/items as a base to make new ones for the new weapons, pointing to the new models, sounds and everything, and I then added the new weapons to shops in the vdata/system/vendors.txt file by pointing to their corresponding .txt files, but they don't show up in the shops' inventories. I only replaced one of them, the S&W 38 revolver with the one from Antitribu, and it shows up and performs just fine ingame, so there's no problem with the weapon .txts, but for some reason, they only work if I replace original weapons which are already sold by vendors, the vendors.txt seems to ignore all the new weapon .txts I added to it. Any idea on how this could be done without replacing the original weapons?

Offline argikt

• Antediluvian
Re: Adding new weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 02:40:33 pm »
I've been trying to add some weapons from the Antitribu mod to my game without replacing the original ones, but to no avail, they don't appear in the game. I used some of the existing weapons text files from vdata/items as a base to make new ones for the new weapons, pointing to the new models, sounds and everything, and I then added the new weapons to shops in the vdata/system/vendors.txt file by pointing to their corresponding .txt files, but they don't show up in the shops' inventories. I only replaced one of them, the S&W 38 revolver with the one from Antitribu, and it shows up and performs just fine ingame, so there's no problem with the weapon .txts, but for some reason, they only work if I replace original weapons which are already sold by vendors, the vendors.txt seems to ignore all the new weapon .txts I added to it. Any idea on how this could be done without replacing the original weapons?
No, cant be done.The number of the items are hardcoded, you only can replace it. Same for armor, quest item, and so...

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 02:44:34 pm »
Even if wasn't hard coded (or if you wanted to do this by replacing some of the existing weapons) it still wouldn't be possible, because you can't exactly add new animated models into the game at the moment.

Any models with animations you make will either wont compile or it will crash the game.

So sadly, it is not really possible.

Offline Ivanael

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 04:15:07 pm »
Shame, the game's limitations are really holding it back. Maybe the new one coming out soon will be more modding friendly, would be amazing to recreate Bloodlines in the new engine.

But apparently you can add new animated models since the Arsenal and Antitribu mods have done it, but looking at the weapons .txts, they seem to use the animprefixes from the already existing models.

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 04:47:53 pm »
This is not exactly a limitation of the game, but rather it is a limitation of the toolset we have.

Sadly Troika never released the SDK for this game. To be fair they probably didn't have the chance, as I have reason to believe they intended this game to be fully moddable.

All we have is stuff made by the very awesome members of our community. Sadly these tools don't always work properly and they don't always have full functionality, but even this much wouldn't be possible without them.

Adding weapons and stuff like that would be possible if we had the source code, like we have for Half-Life 2 and so on, but sadly we don't have this either.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 05:23:33 pm »
A while ago I wanted to improve the arsenal mod and rename the weapons as those in this Hot Fuzz trailer (at 25 seconds):

"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal