collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: A thank you to Tessera and his True VTMB patch, as well as his great mods  (Read 16805 times)

Offline [archive] MooCHa2

• Antediluvian
Re: A thank you to Tessera and his True VTMB patch, as well as his great mods
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
                In Reply To #36
 <quote by='Wesp5'>

But Acrimonious for some reason, maybe attention as well, choose to stay with Tessera even after I offered him to work with me on the base of my patch. It can all be read in the threads here on the board.</quote>

I can't fault the guy for not jumping ship. That is a characteristic in a person I can admire.

Would this thread(bs surrounding it) even be taking place if it was Acrimonious who had been doing the public relations? I highly doubt it!

The alarming thing in general for me that out of all of these people that demanded this patch to be made, They are basically nowhere to be seen, maybe thats because it was lies from the beginning on Tessera's part.

Has anyone even asked or enquired where they can get it from or if anyone else has it?

In Reply to #38

You are right. I even said myself I was going to play it through once.

Kids take their toys and say I'm not playing no more but a adult. Sheesh...

Regards...

Offline [archive] Tessera72751098

• Methuselah
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
                Firstof all, I want to thank a few people who have expressed support for tessmage.com and for my work. I appreciate it.

Now, here are some facts. This post is LONG, because I have no intention of posting any follow-ups or replies. If you do not take the five minutes necessary to read it, then you may as well admit that the actual facts do not matter to you...
 <black>.</black>
 For the record, starting with True Patch 4.04AT, nobody "stole" anything from Wesp. There was a lengthy explanation of that entire mess posted on my own board for more than six months. I can not be held accountable for the failure of others to read that explanation, nor can Acrimonious be held accountable.

The original True Patch was version 4.01AT, and it began as one of Wesp's mods (his version 3.2). We reverse-engineered that mod, removed most of the changes that Wesp had made, retained the important bug fixes that Wesp himself had originally copied from Dan Upright and then hurriedly released it to the public. That project was not intended to be the beginning of anything important. We had just had a major battle with Wesp on this very board, to which he had replied "If you do not like my work, then try to do better." Fine, Wesp -- so we fixed his mess and we made it better. Originally, that was our only goal: fix his mess and then let other folks have a copy if they wanted it. Mainly, we just wanted our own games to work better.

Wesp was properly cited in the readme.txt file for that patch, just as he was for every version up to and including version 4.03AT. These repetitious and self-serving claims that Wesp was never credited are totally false and unfounded. Don't you people read the patch notes..? If you had, then you would have seen Werner Spahl's name in the credits. I am sorry that we didn't add bursting bombs and a heavenly choir to Wesp's name in those notes. Maybe that would have satisfied you... but regardless, Wesp was always fully credited in True Patches 4.01AT through 4.03AT. ALWAYS. Anyone who has a copy of those earlier True Patches can verify that fact for themselves.

Had we not been so angry at Wesp back in late 2006, we never would have created it that way in the first place. We had no intention, back at that time, to get into the "patch
 business." We just wanted to fix the horrible mess that Wesp had made and give other people an alternative that worked better. We also wanted people to be able to drop our revised version directly on top of any of Wesp's mods that they had already installed, so as to keep the installation procedure as simple as possible. This meant that we needed to include revised versions of every single file that Wesp had used in his original mod, so that they would overwrite those versions properly during the installation. Even if we reverted a particular file back to its default state, we still needed to include it in the patch, so that it would replace Wesp's versions during the final installation. That is the absolute truth. We admitted that we had done something wrong by doing it that way, but we also did something right by fixing Wesp's damage, all at the same time. It was a complex situation. In retrospect, I wish we had not done it that way with versions 4.01AT through 4.03AT -- but it is too late for that now. It's history.

Wesp himself must take some of the responsibility for all of the above. Had he been less smug and more cooperative back at that time, then none of this crap would ever have been necessary. But so long as Wesp was holding an entire gaming community hostage with his frivolous and inappropriate total conversion mods, and so long as he remained aloof and dismissive of the many complaints that he was receiving, then the situation was intolerable to us and to (literally) thousands of VTMB fans. I can confidently say "thousands" here, because our own True Patch ver. 4.04AT has, to date, been downloaded in excess of 10,000 times. That's a staggeringly large number -- much larger than I had ever expected it to be -- and it is also very sobering.

So originally, we took the quickest means to an end: since Wesp rudely refused to cooperate, we fixed Wesp's mess as fast as we could -- whether he liked it or not. The fact that Wesp has since produced a "basic" mod shows that ultimately, he *did* realize the error of his ways.

Nevertheless, the controversy about how we had released a revised and repaired version of Wesp's mod was not lost upon us. Shortly after version 4.03AT was released, we decided to stop using any material from Wesp's mods. We began our project all over again from scratch, with nothing but the game's own files and the official 1.2 patch from ActiVision. We then began INDEPENDENTLY looking for bugs, even though we already knew where most of them were. We did it by the book anyway, because we wanted both ourselves and the VTMB community to be forever free of Wesp's monopoly upon VTMB bug fixes.

We knew that we had done the wrong thing the first few times around and we have long since admitted as much. That is why versions 4.04AT and 5.04AT of the True Patch are totally different from any of the prior versions. It is also why no mention is made in those two versions of Wesp: he had ABSOLUTELYY NOTHING to do with 4.04AT and 5.04AT. Nothing at all... not even in a tiny peripheral way. Every single teeny-tiny little change made in 4.04AT and 5.04AT came entirely from Acrimonious and myself. All of it... from the tiniest repairs to typographicl errors, to the largest repairs to maps and scripts. Every single aspect of those two versions of the True Patch were diagnosed, identified and repaired by us, and by us alone. ALL OF IT, people. EVERY ITSY-BITSY TINY BIT IS 100% WESP-FREE. Just accept that fact, please.

Wesp and the Planet Vampire status quo would have people believe that there is no difference between the various versions of our patches. That is either because they have an insidious agenda, or else they have never looked at the
 two different versions in detail. Either way, they simply do not know what they are talking about. Or -- they are just lying outright because they seek to trash our work.

They would also have you believe that I am a "thief," despite the fact that none of the changes in scripting, coding, and maps in ANY of our patches were done by me -- they were all done by Acrimonious. My major *material* contributions to the True Patches are in the form of dialogue repairs and/or restorations, as well as texture replacements... none of which even exist in any of Wesp's work. It is rather hard to "steal" your own material, correct..???

I repeat: from version 4.04AT on upwards, we did every single bit of the work on our own. We did not sit there with Wesp's work in one hand, copying it over to our own work with the other hand. We did absolutely everything that we could to stay as far away from Wesp's garbage as possible, even though we knew that it might mean missing some bugs that Wesp has already fixed in his own mods. In fact, that is why version 4.04AT was the first True Patch to employ open beta testing: it was to insure that we would be able find as many bugs as we could. If we had simply been copying from anyone (as Wesp did, when he took all of his own major bug fixes from Dan Upright), then we would not have needed to run beta tests.

In short, we have already admitted that we had done a bad thing last year. We righted that wrong by producing a new patch entirely on our own. That patch was the True VTMB Patch version 4.04AT... and those, my friends, are the facts. Nobody is making any money on any of this stuff, nor were we hoping that our tiny little patch for an obscure video game would somehow make us famous one day. We did this because we wanted our game to play smoothly and CORRECTLY, and we wanted to share our repairs with others. There are no other reasons, and to be attacked for trying to HELP people AT OUR EXPENSE is a sickening thing for any civilized person to witness.

As for what people think about my personality, I could honestly care less. I am not here to be everyone's best buddy, nor do I wish to be. I am primarily an artist, a musician and a modder, and I create my works for my own pleasure. If I think something is good enough, then I share it with the world. If people enjoy my work, then the only thanks that I could possibly hope for and expect is that those people support me and my work, so that I feel good about continuing it.

Instead, I have been slandered, flamed, and bashed by people who, in many cases, ADMIT that they use my mods. I think that is the behavior of ingrateful pigs, and I will never again share a single one of my creations with such snotty little animals. That is why my website has been placed off-limits to the general public. I won't work my ass off for people who routinely slam me -- and neither would any of you. As for those negative criticisms of me..? People had said similar things about Vincent Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso and John Lennon in their day, too. I am not placing myself in the same league as those artists, but I am still making a valid point here: that slamming an artist only serves to stifle their art -- thus depriving an entire community of that artist's creations. You don't "win" anything this way -- instead, everybody loses and the community-at-large gets a little poorer, every time that one of its more creative members is ostracized.

Personally, I just enjoy art and other creative works for their own sake. And if I had needed to, then I would have supported that art by defending the artists against the ignorance of the uncultured and envious mob. It's all a matter of one's priorities... but on the internet, people would rather just fight like cowardly little children.

And so, the end result is that all of the above finally upset me enough to withdraw my work, from a community which apparently does not support it. So would you, if you had gone through the incredible abuse that I have been put through for the past two years.

If any of you still wonder why I tend to be defensive, haughty and quick-tempered, well then walk a mile in my shoes and let's see how your mood comes across -- after two years of this ingrateful and insipid bullshit.

Thanks again to those few who *have* shown some guts by openly supporting me. Try not to allow yourselves to be bullied by the status quo. You are right, and they are wrong -- no matter how many of them line up against you. I am sorry that the other 500+ members of tessmage.com and the 125,000+ regular visitors to my site didn't see fit to follow your example.

- Tessera -

• Methuselah
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
                Firstof all, I want to thank a few people who have expressed support for tessmage.com and for my work. I appreciate it.

Now, here are some facts. This post is LONG, because I have no intention of posting any follow-ups or replies. If you do not take the five minutes necessary to read it, then you may as well admit that the actual facts do not matter to you...
 <black>.</black>
 For the record, starting with True Patch 4.04AT, nobody "stole" anything from Wesp. There was a lengthy explanation of that entire mess posted on my own board for more than six months. I can not be held accountable for the failure of others to read that explanation, nor can Acrimonious be held accountable.

The original True Patch was version 4.01AT, and it began as one of Wesp's mods (his version 3.2). We reverse-engineered that mod, removed most of the changes that Wesp had made, retained the important bug fixes that Wesp himself had originally copied from Dan Upright and then hurriedly released it to the public. That project was not intended to be the beginning of anything important. We had just had a major battle with Wesp on this very board, to which he had replied "If you do not like my work, then try to do better." Fine, Wesp -- so we fixed his mess and we made it better. Originally, that was our only goal: fix his mess and then let other folks have a copy if they wanted it. Mainly, we just wanted our own games to work better.

Wesp was properly cited in the readme.txt file for that patch, just as he was for every version up to and including version 4.03AT. These repetitious and self-serving claims that Wesp was never credited are totally false and unfounded. Don't you people read the patch notes..? If you had, then you would have seen Werner Spahl's name in the credits. I am sorry that we didn't add bursting bombs and a heavenly choir to Wesp's name in those notes. Maybe that would have satisfied you... but regardless, Wesp was always fully credited in True Patches 4.01AT through 4.03AT. ALWAYS. Anyone who has a copy of those earlier True Patches can verify that fact for themselves.

Had we not been so angry at Wesp back in late 2006, we never would have created it that way in the first place. We had no intention, back at that time, to get into the "patch
 business." We just wanted to fix the horrible mess that Wesp had made and give other people an alternative that worked better. We also wanted people to be able to drop our revised version directly on top of any of Wesp's mods that they had already installed, so as to keep the installation procedure as simple as possible. This meant that we needed to include revised versions of every single file that Wesp had used in his original mod, so that they would overwrite those versions properly during the installation. Even if we reverted a particular file back to its default state, we still needed to include it in the patch, so that it would replace Wesp's versions during the final installation. That is the absolute truth. We admitted that we had done something wrong by doing it that way, but we also did something right by fixing Wesp's damage, all at the same time. It was a complex situation. In retrospect, I wish we had not done it that way with versions 4.01AT through 4.03AT -- but it is too late for that now. It's history.

Wesp himself must take some of the responsibility for all of the above. Had he been less smug and more cooperative back at that time, then none of this crap would ever have been necessary. But so long as Wesp was holding an entire gaming community hostage with his frivolous and inappropriate total conversion mods, and so long as he remained aloof and dismissive of the many complaints that he was receiving, then the situation was intolerable to us and to (literally) thousands of VTMB fans. I can confidently say "thousands" here, because our own True Patch ver. 4.04AT has, to date, been downloaded in excess of 10,000 times. That's a staggeringly large number -- much larger than I had ever expected it to be -- and it is also very sobering.

So originally, we took the quickest means to an end: since Wesp rudely refused to cooperate, we fixed Wesp's mess as fast as we could -- whether he liked it or not. The fact that Wesp has since produced a "basic" mod shows that ultimately, he *did* realize the error of his ways.

Nevertheless, the controversy about how we had released a revised and repaired version of Wesp's mod was not lost upon us. Shortly after version 4.03AT was released, we decided to stop using any material from Wesp's mods. We began our project all over again from scratch, with nothing but the game's own files and the official 1.2 patch from ActiVision. We then began INDEPENDENTLY looking for bugs, even though we already knew where most of them were. We did it by the book anyway, because we wanted both ourselves and the VTMB community to be forever free of Wesp's monopoly upon VTMB bug fixes.

We knew that we had done the wrong thing the first few times around and we have long since admitted as much. That is why versions 4.04AT and 5.04AT of the True Patch are totally different from any of the prior versions. It is also why no mention is made in those two versions of Wesp: he had ABSOLUTELYY NOTHING to do with 4.04AT and 5.04AT. Nothing at all... not even in a tiny peripheral way. Every single teeny-tiny little change made in 4.04AT and 5.04AT came entirely from Acrimonious and myself. All of it... from the tiniest repairs to typographicl errors, to the largest repairs to maps and scripts. Every single aspect of those two versions of the True Patch were diagnosed, identified and repaired by us, and by us alone. ALL OF IT, people. EVERY ITSY-BITSY TINY BIT IS 100% WESP-FREE. Just accept that fact, please.

Wesp and the Planet Vampire status quo would have people believe that there is no difference between the various versions of our patches. That is either because they have an insidious agenda, or else they have never looked at the
 two different versions in detail. Either way, they simply do not know what they are talking about. Or -- they are just lying outright because they seek to trash our work.

They would also have you believe that I am a "thief," despite the fact that none of the changes in scripting, coding, and maps in ANY of our patches were done by me -- they were all done by Acrimonious. My major *material* contributions to the True Patches are in the form of dialogue repairs and/or restorations, as well as texture replacements... none of which even exist in any of Wesp's work. It is rather hard to "steal" your own material, correct..???

I repeat: from version 4.04AT on upwards, we did every single bit of the work on our own. We did not sit there with Wesp's work in one hand, copying it over to our own work with the other hand. We did absolutely everything that we could to stay as far away from Wesp's garbage as possible, even though we knew that it might mean missing some bugs that Wesp has already fixed in his own mods. In fact, that is why version 4.04AT was the first True Patch to employ open beta testing: it was to insure that we would be able find as many bugs as we could. If we had simply been copying from anyone (as Wesp did, when he took all of his own major bug fixes from Dan Upright), then we would not have needed to run beta tests.

In short, we have already admitted that we had done a bad thing last year. We righted that wrong by producing a new patch entirely on our own. That patch was the True VTMB Patch version 4.04AT... and those, my friends, are the facts. Nobody is making any money on any of this stuff, nor were we hoping that our tiny little patch for an obscure video game would somehow make us famous one day. We did this because we wanted our game to play smoothly and CORRECTLY, and we wanted to share our repairs with others. There are no other reasons, and to be attacked for trying to HELP people AT OUR EXPENSE is a sickening thing for any civilized person to witness.

As for what people think about my personality, I could honestly care less. I am not here to be everyone's best buddy, nor do I wish to be. I am primarily an artist, a musician and a modder, and I create my works for my own pleasure. If I think something is good enough, then I share it with the world. If people enjoy my work, then the only thanks that I could possibly hope for and expect is that those people support me and my work, so that I feel good about continuing it.

Instead, I have been slandered, flamed, and bashed by people who, in many cases, ADMIT that they use my mods. I think that is the behavior of ingrateful pigs, and I will never again share a single one of my creations with such snotty little animals. That is why my website has been placed off-limits to the general public. I won't work my ass off for people who routinely slam me -- and neither would any of you. As for those negative criticisms of me..? People had said similar things about Vincent Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso and John Lennon in their day, too. I am not placing myself in the same league as those artists, but I am still making a valid point here: that slamming an artist only serves to stifle their art -- thus depriving an entire community of that artist's creations. You don't "win" anything this way -- instead, everybody loses and the community-at-large gets a little poorer, every time that one of its more creative members is ostracized.

Personally, I just enjoy art and other creative works for their own sake. And if I had needed to, then I would have supported that art by defending the artists against the ignorance of the uncultured and envious mob. It's all a matter of one's priorities... but on the internet, people would rather just fight like cowardly little children.

And so, the end result is that all of the above finally upset me enough to withdraw my work, from a community which apparently does not support it. So would you, if you had gone through the incredible abuse that I have been put through for the past two years.

If any of you still wonder why I tend to be defensive, haughty and quick-tempered, well then walk a mile in my shoes and let's see how your mood comes across -- after two years of this ingrateful and insipid bullshit.

Thanks again to those few who *have* shown some guts by openly supporting me. Try not to allow yourselves to be bullied by the status quo. You are right, and they are wrong -- no matter how many of them line up against you. I am sorry that the other 500+ members of tessmage.com and the 125,000+ regular visitors to my site didn't see fit to follow your example.

- Tessera -

• Methuselah
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »

<black>.</black>

- Tessera -

• Methuselah
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »

<black>.</black>

- Tessera -

• Methuselah
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »

<black>.</black>

- Tessera -

Offline [archive] Wesp5

• Antediluvian
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
                In Reply To #42

MooCHa posted:

I can't fault the guy for not jumping ship. That is a characteristic in a person I can admire.

On principle you are right, but sticking with someone who openly lies to further their project should change that.

Would this thread (bs surrounding it) even be taking place if it was Acrimonious who had been doing the public relations? I highly doubt it!

Maybe not, but in that case we would probably have got a "basic" patch based on mine and not done by myself, which would have meant much less work for me happy !

The alarming thing in general for me that out of all of these people that demanded this patch to be made, they are basically nowhere to be seen, maybe thats because it was lies from the beginning on Tessera's part.

I notice some guys now and again using my basic patch here or on the Gamebanshee forum. There were some people using the "true" patch there as well, but I guess the main quest breaking 4.04AT bug with Ming stopped many of those.

Offline [archive] Wesp5

• Antediluvian
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
                In Reply To #42

MooCHa posted:

On principle you are right, but sticking with someone who openly lies to further their project should change that.

Would this thread (bs surrounding it) even be taking place if it was Acrimonious who had been doing the public relations? I highly doubt it!

Maybe not, but in that case we would probably have got a "basic" patch based on mine and not done by myself, which would have meant much less work for me happy !

The alarming thing in general for me that out of all of these people that demanded this patch to be made, they are basically nowhere to be seen, maybe thats because it was lies from the beginning on Tessera's part.

I notice some guys now and again using my basic patch here or on the Gamebanshee forum. There were some people using the "true" patch there as well, but I guess the main quest breaking 4.04AT bug with Ming stopped many of those.

Offline [archive] Wesp5

• Antediluvian
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
                In Reply To #42

MooCHa posted:

Offline [archive] Wesp5

• Antediluvian
« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
                In Reply To #42

MooCHa posted:

Offline [archive] Wesp5

• Antediluvian
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
                In Reply To #42

MooCHa posted:

Offline [archive] arathalion_5

• Antediluvian
« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
                In Reply To #43
 TL;DR                        

-----signature-----
           im going back to my fence

Offline [archive] arathalion_5

• Antediluvian
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »