collapse

Author Topic: Zombie attack!  (Read 3389 times)

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
Zombie attack!
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Today I did the cemetary zombie fest in UOP 7.3 using an Infernal Tremere with Blood Boil.  Due to Histories and other reasons, I've never before had Thaum 5 at that point in the game.  I was surprised at how effective it was, even without the Pearl or particularly good Ranged skills.  Blood Boil has a stupid long range that lets you blow up half the zombies on a gate, long before you get into effective range with a firearm.  The ones that survive the initial blast will usually go down with one or two rounds from the Mac 10 (head shot not required).

Have you guys come across other unusual ways of doing that quest with other low XP characters?
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
Re: Zombie attack!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »
Excuse me? What cemetery zombie fest? The only there in there is Romero and his shack I thought.......I completely missed that...how?  :facepalm:

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »
You missed it because it's a bitch of a quest to do without broken Disciplines. Even with the flamethrower (if you go through Hallowbrook and have never spoken with Romero before), it's a total and absolute monkey of a quest to solve properly. You're better off sleeping with the guy or finding him a piece to tap. Same rewards, MUCH less aggravation.
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline Nanaloma

• Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »
You missed it because it's a bitch of a quest to do without broken Disciplines. Even with the flamethrower (if you go through Hallowbrook and have never spoken with Romero before), it's a total and absolute monkey of a quest to solve properly. You're better off sleeping with the guy or finding him a piece to tap. Same rewards, MUCH less aggravation.

I'm contradicting my past posts here but, it is easy with celerity.  Just have to keep running from gate to gate with staying too long at one or the other.  Otherwise, I make him stay and do his own job :). 

As per the original line, I tried finding vantage points to shoot with the Romero rifle (or even the ever handy Anaconda) but couldn't find any where both gates were visible.  Just curious, blood boil is powerful but takes a lot of blood and doesn't do a whole lot of periphery damage.  Did you try the lower one (can't remember what it is called) that damages everyone in range (kills all humans in a room, etc with one use)?  I've never been that far developed to test it at that point in the game (don't use histories). 

Offline Draco Alivi

• Ancillus
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »

I'm contradicting my past posts here but, it is easy with celerity.  Just have to keep running from gate to gate with staying too long at one or the other.  Otherwise, I make him stay and do his own job :). 

As per the original line, I tried finding vantage points to shoot with the Romero rifle (or even the ever handy Anaconda) but couldn't find any where both gates were visible.  Just curious, blood boil is powerful but takes a lot of blood and doesn't do a whole lot of periphery damage.  Did you try the lower one (can't remember what it is called) that damages everyone in range (kills all humans in a room, etc with one use)?  I've never been that far developed to test it at that point in the game (don't use histories).

That's the Blood Salvo, but it doesn't make enough damage to make it a viable choice, in my opinion. As Rick said, the best choice is sleeping with him (If you're a female), or getting him a hooker. And about combat; using high level Celerity is probably the only relatively safe option, since there's a lot of enemies and the two gates are pretty far.

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 04:39:22 AM »
Ohhhh ok. I didn't even get that dialog choice when I met up with Romero. Kinda glad I didn't. It's way easier to bring him a hooker or have fun yourself. That's what I did.   :razz:  I misunderstood and thought it was a totally seperate quest.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:46:51 AM »
In the vanilla game, if you're a guy, you have to refuse to watch the graveyard before he gives you the option of finding a hooker for him. If you're female, he'll come onto you before offering the quest, and you have to refuse the "couchilympics" to get to the zombie quest.
"Is there another way I can help?"
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 05:54:22 AM »
I am an XP whore, so I usually take the zombie quest for XP and a firearms boost, and then come back afterwards and ask him how things are going.  This leads to a dialogue choice asking him if there's anything else you can do for him, and then you can get him the hooker for XP and some cash.

The zombie quest is possible without Celerity, but it's a bitch.  You have to run back and forth between gates constantly, and ignore all the zombies on the way.  It make may take one or two tries to succeed.

As per the original line, I tried finding vantage points to shoot with the Romero rifle (or even the ever handy Anaconda) but couldn't find any where both gates were visible. 

At the corner where you make the turn, you can hop up on a gravestone and from there onto the wall, with a view of both gates.  I tried this a couple of times, but still never succeeded.  For me, only Melee works.  I think you'd have to have your Firearms really high to pull this off.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:09:47 AM by PGM1961 »
An honorable man will still do the right thing, even when he knows there is no chance that he will be caught and punished for doing wrong... and even if it costs him dearly.

Offline _username

• Got Stront?
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:54:41 AM »
I almost always opt to kill the zombies, even if I have a character with high social skills.  That route requires a lot more creativity than simply blowing the guy or bringing somebody else back to blow him.

EDIT: this time around, I pulled it off with no celerity, Ranged 5 and Thaum 5.  It took 2 elder blood packs and 3 normal blood packs in order to sustain the frequent use of Blood Boil.  My main weaon was the Mac 10...mostly to keep it challenging.  It took about 6 tries before I succeeded.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:56:41 AM by _username »
LUNA NOBIS PROVIDET

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:34:04 AM »
I hate that zombie quest. I have tried dozends of times, and only succeded once with a high celerity character. So I say f... the xp, and bring him a working girl. If I play a female character I'd do it myself, but that also removes the chance to learn shooting.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »
I am an XP whore, so I usually take the zombie quest for XP and a firearms boost, and then come back afterwards and ask him how things are going.  This leads to a dialogue choice asking him if there's anything else you can do for him, and then you can get him the hooker for XP and some cash.

One should be aware that this is a feature of the UP plus only ;)...

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »
One should be aware that this is a feature of the UP plus only ;)...

I didn't know that.  I've done it in Camarilla Edition too, but that's built on the UP, so I guess that makes sense.

I played the vanilla version so many times in the years following its release, that I have no desire to play the basic patch on UP - especially now that you removed a lot of restored content.  If I play Bloodlines now, I want something new.  (Ahem... but not Comp Mod.  Sorry if you're a fan, but I'll pass.)
An honorable man will still do the right thing, even when he knows there is no chance that he will be caught and punished for doing wrong... and even if it costs him dearly.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
I didn't know that.  I've done it in Camarilla Edition too, but that's built on the UP, so I guess that makes sense.

It's kind of an restoration, because there was some unused dialogue of Romero from obviously after his quest, but he never reappeared in the original game. I fixed that and then it occured to me he might still be unsatisfied in the plus version ;).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:59:48 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline Porphyria

• Antediluvian
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
I always thought Romero has a certain charm and I like helping him out lol The zombie quest i would fail and it would make me cry, no doubt.

Offline PGM1961

• Apprentice Imagineer
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15:19 PM »
It's frustrating.  I remember the first time I played the game I tried to kill the zombies and failed, so I said screw it, and just found him a hooker.  I didn't try the zombie quest again until recently (year or so ago).