collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Tobias Sjogren Leaves White Wolf  (Read 386 times)

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
Tobias Sjogren Leaves White Wolf
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:37:23 AM »
This quietly happened a few days ago, in case you missed it. Hopefully White Wolf finds a very comparable CEO, Tobias really understood what makes games and communities tick.

https://twitter.com/tobiassjogren/status/1042777267657687040

Offline Gossamer

• Fledgling
Re: Tobias Sjogren Leaves White Wolf
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 03:16:58 AM »
I hope so.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
Ugh, this sounds like bad news to get a Bloodlines successor...

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
Ugh, this sounds like bad news to get a Bloodlines successor...

I don't see why.

About once a year someone in the games media at E3 or ParadoxCon or wherever asks someone at Paradox if we'll ever see a new Bloodlines. They then answer something vague like "when the time is right," and then there's an explosion of articles. In 2017 there was "Paradox will make a sequel 'when the time is right.'. In 2018 there was
"Bloodlines 2 an Obvious Choice" and "Bloodlines Sequel May Be In Development".

Notably, though, all of those interviews have been with people at Paradox and not with Tobias. Both the 2017 and 2018 articles came from interviews with Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester, not White Wolf CEO Tobias Sjogren. The idea of a Bloodlines successor wasn't a pet project of Tobias' or anything, which is suddenly off the table just because he's gone now.

Paradox knows people want it, and expects that they'll make one when they're ready. Tobias being there or not being there doesn't change that.

Tobias was a wonderful guy and I'll miss him at the helm of White Wolf, but whether or not a new VTM video game is happening won't be affected by this.
Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
VTM portal - Tabletop primer

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
I am still struggling with the entire idea of a Bloodlines game successor... I just don't think that it is possible to pull off such a stunt anymore, especially as the OG crew scatters. We already had a discussion on this topic, but still it would need to be a standalone game, utterly severed from the Bloodlines. Only by itself it will have a chance since if it gets constantly compared to its cult predecessor, it shall live a short and ugly life... it can improve on the gameplay, combat and graphic department, but in every other category it might come off short.
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
We already had a discussion on this topic, but still it would need to be a standalone game, utterly severed from the Bloodlines.

That's why we call it a successor and not a sequel. Best in a new city with a new story and characters, but the same gameplay!

Offline Gurkhal

• Ancillus
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 03:32:27 PM »
I'd like to throw in my support for Wesp in this.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
We already had a discussion on this topic, but still it would need to be a standalone game, utterly severed from the Bloodlines.

That's why we call it a successor and not a sequel. Best in a new city with a new story and characters, but the same gameplay!

I vote for that. :)
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

* Game Files