collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 81649 times)

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2016, 08:40:49 am »
You know, I thought as a VTMB fan I had learned patience, at least, but I had started to believe in a sequel again, and so it's a bit frustrating to come here and see news about all the other projects they are likely working on.  :rofl:

Also, it makes me want to re-install the game again (I uninstalled it less than a month ago, damn it!  :cometome:)
Don't lose hope mate, there will be a sequel somewhere in the far future...  :vampsmile: Look at Planescape: Torment - released in 1999.  and it will have a sequel probably this year or the next. The quality may differ, but hey, it's something rather than nothing. :chinscratch:
As for the setting, I admit that the best solution would be a completely new game than a successor, but set in a new city... maybe Atlanta, Washington or San Francisco. Also, they could consider Europe as the fresh setting, since the vamps DID come from it and set in the different period like the coveted Victorian age or something a bit "closer". Look at the VTMR: Middle Ages in two cities (Prague & Vienna) and then Modern times (London & NY). Maybe the concept could be used for the new VTM/WoD game?  :chinscratch:
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #301 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:35 am »
Don't lose hope mate, there will be a sequel somewhere in the far future...  :vampsmile: Look at Planescape: Torment - released in 1999.  and it will have a sequel probably this year or the next. The quality may differ, but hey, it's something rather than nothing. :chinscratch:
As for the setting, I admit that the best solution would be a completely new game than a successor, but set in a new city... maybe Atlanta, Washington or San Francisco. Also, they could consider Europe as the fresh setting, since the vamps DID come from it and set in the different period like the coveted Victorian age or something a bit "closer". Look at the VTMR: Middle Ages in two cities (Prague & Vienna) and then Modern times (London & NY). Maybe the concept could be used for the new VTM/WoD game?  :chinscratch:

Well, I am still waiting for a proper sequel (or spiritual sequel) to FO 1 & 2. I didn't hate FO 3 or New Vegas,  although I must say I think New Vegas writing is overrated, outside of the companions, and it of course suffers a lot from running on the FO3 engine. Wasteland 2 was a cruel disappointment, I will flat out say that the writing is bad, and the "team" play (instead of focusing on the narrative of a main character) makes for a diluted RPG experience in my eyes. I also hated the early railroading, and the choice that wasn't a choice early on put me off tremendously, together with the "LOL here are random boxes everywhere for you to open for no reason, enjoy the junk!"). Even the combat didn't feel as satisfying. Then I hear about Underrail or Age of Decadence or Inquisitor, I go check them out, and they are all terribly, TERRIBLY flawed.

I think my problem is that I am starving when it comes to the type of RPG I love... At least the good ones had a lot of replayability, so I can always go and try something new.  /end rant :razz:

But yeah, it's been too long to expect a direct sequel anyway, it's much better to start anew. I must admit, I am not familiar enough with the setting to suggest an interesting starting location (even if I own the WOD books).

Offline page

• Neonate
« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2016, 02:19:11 pm »
I agree with mdqp on Fallout and Wasteland. New sequels have some nice qualities, but I won't revisit them. The same could be said for new so-called Thief. Or Thief reboot. Nu-Thief. That was a major disappointment for a lifelong fan.

When it comes to WoD, I'll happily play any game released, hoping that creators but emphasis on dialogue, atmosphere and single player experience.

Offline Leorgrium

• Brujah
  • Neonate
  • Brujah
    • Twitter
« Reply #303 on: November 14, 2016, 03:44:56 pm »
Help White Wolf Make the Future: 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WHXD7FF

:chinscratch: :chinscratch:

Everybody Lies...
PlanetVampire Discord Channel: https://discord.io/planetvampire

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #304 on: November 14, 2016, 06:32:52 pm »
Help White Wolf Make the Future: 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WHXD7FF

:chinscratch: :chinscratch:

Alright, I took it. I put a heavy emphasis on digital, computer gaming over tabletop LARPing and when asked where I mainly like to get my WoD news, I boldly put down the Planet Vampire Forum!!! 

:cometome:
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #305 on: November 14, 2016, 07:23:40 pm »

Well, I am still waiting for a proper sequel (or spiritual sequel) to FO 1 & 2.

Yeah keep waiting, a proper sequel would have to be an indie game because no AAA studio have the stones to do what they did in FO 1&2 , especially in today's crowd(I'm talking about the whiny crowd that like dumb, easy-mode games and think everything with polished graphics is super awesome even when the design is the opposite of cool).

Offline Leorgrium

• Brujah
  • Neonate
  • Brujah
    • Twitter
« Reply #306 on: November 14, 2016, 10:17:08 pm »
I boldly put down the Planet Vampire Forum!!! 

Haha Great :D
I downloaded the background of the survey and set it as wallpaper for my desktop :)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:55:58 pm by Leorgrium »

Everybody Lies...
PlanetVampire Discord Channel: https://discord.io/planetvampire

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #307 on: November 14, 2016, 10:34:06 pm »
Yeah keep waiting, a proper sequel would have to be an indie game because no AAA studio have the stones to do what they did in FO 1&2 , especially in today's crowd(I'm talking about the whiny crowd that like dumb, easy-mode games and think everything with polished graphics is super awesome even when the design is the opposite of cool).

The problem seems to be that even indies aren't able and/or willing to deliver. I personally do not consider FO 1&2 radical, they are actually pretty easy games once you get down to it (and if you make a combat oriented character, they are SUPER easy, even if you miss interesting content that way), and while the style and humour were (and maybe still are) unique, they are not mind-blowing and impossible to top (I mean, if you take the plots at face value, they do have a few holes, it's just that the story-telling is good enough to make you forget about it).

It takes dedication to make a quest solvable in 3-4 different ways, and create content that will not be seen unless the players try at least 3 different characters, and indies seem a little too much in love with controlling the story to give a relatively free sandbox to players (it's also undoubtedly a lot of work). Also everyone seems to be in love with dungeon crawlers or something, given how many fights they want you to get into (it ruins the pacing, they are worse than old JRPGs, which at least had the "excuse" for the fights being random).

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2016, 03:27:32 am »
I'm not saying they are radical but they belong to a generation of games that mostly disappeared with the information age and analytic .

For example in Fallout I could encounter a formidable swarm of mantis in the wasteland when my character doesn't have much more than a crappy pistol: a situation anyone would run from or die trying .  Do you think something like that would get included in the new Fallout?
Unlikely, since game designers work by analytic and do not want to risk players rage-quitting on them or calling the game unfair. And that is just one example.

The other part of it is that the game is a work of art : so much went into writing dialog options  and letting the player be far less predictable, that is something you hardly ever see today and no matter how you look at it, it would take months to do on that scale  even without the coding. 

Fallout also had rogue element in it, it is random so it is unpredictable and often creates interesting situations..

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #309 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:42 am »
For example in Fallout I could encounter a formidable swarm of mantis in the wasteland when my character doesn't have much more than a crappy pistol: a situation anyone would run from or die trying .  Do you think something like that would get included in the new Fallout?

Obsidian did this in Fallout: New Vegas! Move into the wrong direction from the starting location and you had no chance to survive. Which is one of the reasons why New Vegas is seen by many people as better than Fallout 3 or 4...

Fallout also had rogue element in it, it is random so it is unpredictable and often creates interesting situations..

Even Bloodlines did this by setting some hub NPCs to be aggressive to each other which is a very easy thing to do!

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #310 on: November 15, 2016, 03:02:41 pm »

Obsidian did this in Fallout: New Vegas! Move into the wrong direction from the starting location and you had no chance to survive. Which is one of the reasons why New Vegas is seen by many people as better than Fallout 3 or 4...

Even Bloodlines did this by setting some hub NPCs to be aggressive to each other which is a very easy thing to do!

it wasn't a mechanic to steer the player in a specific direction. to understand what I mean by rogue elements   I suggest you look at an old game called Rogue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(video_game)

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2016, 03:24:14 pm »
I'm not saying they are radical but they belong to a generation of games that mostly disappeared with the information age and analytic .

Unlikely, since game designers work by analytic and do not want to risk players rage-quitting on them or calling the game unfair. And that is just one example.

The other part of it is that the game is a work of art : so much went into writing dialog options  and letting the player be far less predictable, that is something you hardly ever see today and no matter how you look at it, it would take months to do on that scale  even without the coding. 

They did disappear, and that's partly due to how risk-averse the current industry is, for sure. What I meant to say, is that such games would be well within the realm of possibilities, but AAA don't care because they think they won't make enough money out of it, and no indie seems to be really interested in actually doing it. They are difficult games to craft, but even those who claim to be inspired by them often don't really try to capture the spirit of these games, while they just cherry pick some superficial elements.

Well, FO4 is barely an RPG anymore, and FO3 is clunky as most Bethesda games AND the writing could be considered below their standards on top of that. If you ask me, New Vegas has the same awkward gameplay FO3 has (having the same engine did hurt it), better writing overall and really good when it comes to the companions and a few characters, actually not that amazing story telling (I believe being shot and becoming amnesiac being the entire impetus for the plot until you get to Vegas was amazingly weak, and the resolution for it was anticlimactic and kind of a bait and switch on top of that), the plot wasn't too great, either (the legion and the way it is introduced to you didn't make for a compelling enemy, and neither did "Mr. Vegas").

I think New Vegas is too nebulous with the protagonist's goals to build a good narrative, and the antagonists aren't really related to you in any way until too late in the story. I cared about the NCR mostly because I knew them from the previous games, rather than care because of what was shown in this one.

Anyway, I should probably stop this, I tend to get very "ranty" when it comes to games that disappointed me, and I have already went off-topic too much, I think. XD

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2016, 06:30:46 pm »
(the legion and the way it is introduced to you didn't make for a compelling enemy, and neither did "Mr. Vegas").

Also I remember the very stupid way you could convince the Legion boss to run and flee after you already killed all of his troops, for which he is sure to be skinned alive at home. This was one no-fighting-solution tacked on that made no sense at all! Either convince him before fighting all the others or give us the boss fight too...

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2016, 10:15:28 pm »
For me NV started nice but I admit the whole part about Mr. House and the Legion was kind of a blur, uninteresting and not very notable . but I rarely like endings/endgames anyway because usually it feels like a rush to wrap things up and that leaves a bad taste.

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »
Also I remember the very stupid way you could convince the Legion boss to run and flee after you already killed all of his troops, for which he is sure to be skinned alive at home. This was one no-fighting-solution tacked on that made no sense at all! Either convince him before fighting all the others or give us the boss fight too...

I think the factions had decent/good interactions with each other, but were all a bit poor when taken individually, this comes down to the quests as well and the solutions to some of them. I think it's obvious by what I wrote before, but I consider NV overrated, even if better than the ones Bethesda did. I'll always cry/laugh thinking of the poor Deathclaws running away (or sometimes in circles) when I jumped on a rock they couldn't path to as I sniped them to death with an underpowered character (and got jack all experience, thanks to the wonkiest xp system I have seen in a while). The design of FO3 made it a little harder to play such tricks, while in NV it was trivial and lead to really exploitable situations.

For me NV started nice but I admit the whole part about Mr. House and the Legion was kind of a blur, uninteresting and not very notable . but I rarely like endings/endgames anyway because usually it feels like a rush to wrap things up and that leaves a bad taste.

I found them to be not worth my time. I got very close to the end, but I couldn't be bothered to go see the battle on the dam. I did kill Mr. House half a dozen of times, though, because I hate the smug prick.  :cometome:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal