collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 81725 times)

Offline IanW

• Methuselah
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2016, 11:36:02 pm »
Seems like the news is getting picked up by other game news sites like Gamasutra. Didn't know writers from other studios were in on it as well: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/284209/Day_of_the_Tentacle__The_Division_devs_unite_to_write_World_of_Darkness_audio_drama.php

Yes and no... Rich Dansky was an original developer of Wraith: The Oblivion in the 90s, and then went off to work for Red Storm as their Central Clancy Writer. Basically any game with "Tom Clancy" in the title involves him at some stage. In his spare time, he's been back developing Wraith's 20th Anniversary Edition for us. So in that sense, he's still a "White Wolf" guy, developing the game he's known for.

Dave Grossman has a long history, particularly in adventure games, and currently works with Earplay as their CCO.

So this is still between White Wolf and Earplay, there's just a lot of talent involved on both ends of that. :)
Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
VTM portal - Tabletop primer

Offline davidehome

• Fledgling
« Reply #286 on: October 31, 2016, 03:15:14 pm »
VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE BLOODLINE is absolutely my favorite game..

What I like in this game is:

the plot, the fact that you have a personal flat, the possibility to find second missions by yourself, the open wold (city), the very different missions, atmosphere, ecc ecc and mostly the urban setting, in a modern city and not in the middle ages......

So.....

I really hope that PARADOX should release something similar to BLOODLINES..  :smile:

how is the situation now?
is there any hope?

Thank you and forgive my english!

Offline Mond_Blutgut

• Neonate
« Reply #287 on: November 02, 2016, 01:39:29 am »
Well, there are rumors that the Unreal 4 project Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky (that's two third of the Troika founders, in case you didn't know) are involved in at Obsidian could be something related to World of Darkness/Vampire: The Masquerade. But then again there are also statements made by Obsidian's CEO and Cain/Boyarsky themselves suggesting (or making us believe?) that the unnanounced game they're working on isn't related to World of Darkness/Vampire: The Masquerade at all.

Contracting Obsidian with making a sequel or successor to Bloodlines would only make sense though. They have Cain and Boyarsky (other key people like Mitsoda could be contracted as well I guess) and Paradox has done business with Obsidian before (publishing deal for Pillars of Eternity and more recently the commissioned development of a RPG set in the world of Tyranny, which is another IP owned by Paradox).

So I'd say there's definitely hope, but not the kind that allows for holding your breath, so to speak.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2016, 11:49:29 am »
Well, there are rumors that the Unreal 4 project Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky (that's two third of the Troika founders, in case you didn't know) are involved in at Obsidian could be something related to World of Darkness/Vampire: The Masquerade. But then again there are also statements made by Obsidian's CEO and Cain/Boyarsky themselves suggesting (or making us believe?) that the unnanounced game they're working on isn't related to World of Darkness/Vampire: The Masquerade at all.

Contracting Obsidian with making a sequel or successor to Bloodlines would only make sense though. They have Cain and Boyarsky (other key people like Mitsoda could be contracted as well I guess) and Paradox has done business with Obsidian before (publishing deal for Pillars of Eternity and more recently the commissioned development of a RPG set in the world of Tyranny, which is another IP owned by Paradox).

So I'd say there's definitely hope, but not the kind that allows for holding your breath, so to speak.

I agree that there is faint hope regarding the issue. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the creators abandon/cancel/transmute one project in favor of another, but even if they are developing something else, maybe the finished title will be a spiritual successor (or they could just change the name, like "Blood Moon" or something in that fashion). For example, the newest Castelvania game does not bear the label & name per se, but is called "Bloodstained:Ritual of the Night" and draws heavily from the franchise, making it obvious to every fan of the Castelvania games. There is room for maneuvers, only if they want to.
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »

I thought the secret Unreal project was already debunked as the Star Wars recreation fan art that Obsidian's artists were dabbling a few months ago. Also according to an interview with Boyarkski over RPGCodex, they'd rather work on a sequel for their own IP (Arcanum) first than a Bloodlines sequel. Especially that he works on his dream game at the moment (not Bloodlines 2), so take it with a grain of salt.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2016, 03:23:15 pm »
I thought the secret Unreal project was already debunked as the Star Wars recreation fan art that Obsidian's artists were dabbling a few months ago.

That's actually the other way around. They used the SW project to get aquainted with the Unreal engine which they need for something else...

Also according to an interview with Boyarkski over RPGCodex, they'd rather work on a sequel for their own IP (Arcanum) first than a Bloodlines sequel. Especially that he works on his dream game at the moment (not Bloodlines 2), so take it with a grain of salt.

... but I agree with you here. Combining this with other info, they are probably working on a first person exploaration game in the Unreal engine with third person isometric tactical combat. But on what IP nobody knows!

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2016, 03:49:17 pm »
That's actually the other way around. They used the SW project to get aquainted with the Unreal engine which they need for something else...
Actually that makes sense, that was probably the prototype they mentioned as I wasn't aware of an open position for a lead artist with Unreal Engine 4 experience: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/930-lead-character-artist

... but I agree with you here. Combining this with other info, they are probably working on a first person exploaration game in the Unreal engine with third person isometric tactical combat. But on what IP nobody knows!
Only thing that is unclear right now is what the dream game might be, unless it's what you just mentioned, then their own IP, Arcanum and then finally on the VTM:B sequel.

Offline davidehome

• Fledgling
« Reply #292 on: November 08, 2016, 09:29:03 pm »
There are a lot of forums and a lot of people that are talking about VTM: B.....
It's not a new game... but it continues to be talked about......
I think that admins of this forum should contact Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Obsidian for let them know that we hope in a sequel of Bloodlines!!   :smile:

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »
There are a lot of forums and a lot of people that are talking about VTM: B.....
I think that admins of this forum should contact Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Obsidian for let them know that we hope in a sequel of Bloodlines!!   :smile:

Unfortunately hope doesn't run too well with Bloodlines:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5c3nkh/we_are_obsidian_entertainment_creators_of_aaa/d9tobeu/

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2016, 11:34:32 pm »

Unfortunately hope doesn't run too well with Bloodlines:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5c3nkh/we_are_obsidian_entertainment_creators_of_aaa/d9tobeu/

I wonder what the cost is of buying the rights to something like Bloodlines. Are we talking five figures? Six figures? In the millions of dollars?
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #295 on: November 11, 2016, 11:16:33 am »
I wonder what the cost is of buying the rights to something like Bloodlines. Are we talking five figures? Six figures? In the millions of dollars?

While it turns out it was regarding the Arcanum sequel, which was published by Sierra Entertainment and the entire company was bought by Activision, I'm sure the same stands true with Bloodlines.
Regardless, it definitely wouldn't be cheap at all, given the fact that Activision now gets sales from both Steam and GOG, which at that point it's a gold mine especially for Activision.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #296 on: November 11, 2016, 04:41:24 pm »
I'm sure the same stands true with Bloodlines.

So while this would be valid for a Bloodlines remake, I don't see a problem with a spiritual successor as Paradox owns the rights of the whole WoD. Bloodlines doesn't need a direct sequel anyway, rather a similar game set in another city...

Offline Nanaloma

• Antediluvian
« Reply #297 on: November 11, 2016, 11:39:14 pm »
Direct sequels seem to always disappoint anyway.  I agree; best as a completely new but similar game in a different city or cities. 

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2016, 05:57:43 am »

So while this would be valid for a Bloodlines remake, I don't see a problem with a spiritual successor as Paradox owns the rights of the whole WoD. Bloodlines doesn't need a direct sequel anyway, rather a similar game set in another city...

While this is mostly the case with the remake, Activision only bought out the rights to use for Bloodlines, the Vampire the Masquerade brand itself is owned by White Wolf.

Since it wouldn't be possible to re-use the entire cast, having a similar game set in another city with the right budget and time constraint can fix the flaws Bloodlines had.

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #299 on: November 13, 2016, 08:30:00 am »
You know, I thought as a VTMB fan I had learned patience, at least, but I had started to believe in a sequel again, and so it's a bit frustrating to come here and see news about all the other projects they are likely working on.  :rofl:

Also, it makes me want to re-install the game again (I uninstalled it less than a month ago, damn it!  :cometome:)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal