collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 81589 times)

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2016, 08:10:31 am »
Basically they're saying "CofD isn't selling as good as we've expected and we need more money to launch new videogames, cuz our tabletop business as it is barely breaks even".
WTF!?

Oh, okay, I see. Well... as long as they get good money out of this... but still. Having a generic vampire themed gambling slot machine game, that's okay, but having this with VtM... f*ck. So what, we have to churn out like five Giovanni clan symbols to win the jackpot?

Offline dbs

• Fledgling
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2016, 11:30:24 am »

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2016, 02:08:34 pm »
http://www.worldofdarkness.news/Articles/tabid/95/Article/13/WoD-News-interview-with-White-Wolf-Martin-Elricsson.aspx

WoDN: There are rampant rumors since the Facebook postings of the new White Wolf meeting with Obsidian Entertainment just before the turn of the year. Is there anything you can suggest or hint that may come from that meeting such as a, perhaps, PC VtM game for example?

TS: We will not comment on any rumors or announce any games before it makes sense doing it and we know when they will ship. But of course we are working on getting computer games done and naturally Bloodlines is on top of our mind.
Regarding who we are seen with let me explain this a bit, I have personally been in computer games business for 20 years now and I attend most of the trade shows and conferences for it as well as travel in business quite a bit to see both developers and publishers. I am just back from a computer games conference in Las Vegas and I met with a lot of people and companies presenting World of Darkness licensing opportunities and discussing ideas. The response was awesome and we will continue to spread the message about this among the game development community who most often knows about World of Darkness but perhaps not about the amazing depth in the lore and the massive amount of material out there. The more inspired people we have out there the better ideas and pitches we will see in the future.

that seems a very explicit "no comment but yes" ... and is in line with the new Paradox Policy (Following the troubles they've had with getting HoI4 to a ship-able state) not to announce anything until they are well on their way through Alpha, and have a very good estimation of when its done

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2016, 11:15:47 pm »
I didn't ask for this.

Can I ask why do you care? they license it to get more money, doesn't mean they themselves or other people can't also license it.

Offline Valamyr

• Kindred
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #154 on: February 29, 2016, 02:49:21 am »
Quotes like '“Short answer is that the economic centre [sic] of the company will be computer games. Unless something weird happens and people start buying roleplaying books, WoD novels and comics like they were Harry Potter. As things are now tabletop publishing hardly breaks even. Spiritually the core will always be tabletop rpg and larp.” from Marin Ericsson ( http://geekandsundry.com/white-wolf-lead-dishes-the-dirt-on-world-of-darkness/ ) and his non-denial 'no comment' in yesterday's interview when asked about Obsidian working on a Vampire game are pretty terrific news to me.

I have no idea if they're working on a single player title or resurrecting the MMO, but they ARE definitely working on a VTM PC game. Paradox is after all in that market, they didnt buy it to print books, and ME also explained that VTM's setting had far greater marketability.

In short, whether SP or MP or both, it's more than crystal clear that Paradox brought that IP to license VTM computer games based on it. And their latest job opening suggests that they want it done out of house, but with close internal supervision, which is fine with me. And yet again points to Obsidian.

Best case scenario would be more SP titles like Bloodlines AND a MMO, but either would still be a thousand times better than CCP sitting on the IP or planning to nickle and dime us with their outrageous RMT plans. I hate their leadership nearly as much as I love Paradox' - so I'm highly hopeful for the future even if plans will come to fruition a decade late.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #155 on: February 29, 2016, 04:17:40 am »
What I really hope for is that this means the IP is also open for licensing by Film and Television companies. Film/TV industry is pretty desperate for fresh ideas by the looks of the new shows I've seen popping up around this season so I think it would be good for them and also maybe good for introducing the IP to wider public. 

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #156 on: February 29, 2016, 02:19:01 pm »
I think that the MMO, as an MMO is pretty much dead and buried, but it seems fairly certain that they'll take a lot of what had been created for it, in terms of storyboarding and content design, and retool it into being used in another game, although whether they'll focus on SP only or will dip toes into making something with multiplayer (although i highly doubt it'll be MMO) is somewhat uncertain

Offline partas

• Fledgling
« Reply #157 on: February 29, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »
Logged for the first time, long time lurker like a dirty Nosferatu.

I really hope that whatever Paradox chooses to do with future WoD related projects, they'll include Rik Schaffer studio.

I sent Wombstudio an email just to give them my support and love for all they have done :)

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2016, 06:19:24 pm »
White Wolf will be having a presentation at GDC between March 14th-18th. Tobias and some partners/others like Justin Achilli will be there at least 2 of those days, so we'll likely be getting some new info on the general direction of the rebuilding company and possibly more!

Offline BrooklynVentrue

• Neonate
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2016, 02:09:22 am »
Hopefully we do get some news involving the WoD and future videogames.

Bloodlines 2 announcement would make me jump off my car and land on my face.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2016, 02:48:39 am »
I think its just too soon for any announcement.

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2016, 06:46:20 pm »
I think its just too soon for any announcement.

I agree it's too soon to be getting our hopes up, we just know it's coming from Tobias' recent interviews. There are circumstantial arguments you can make, connecting dots to come to the conclusion that Obsidian recently said they'd be announcing a new RPG in a few months, combined with their tweet the day of the Paradox purchase that Paradox also "favorited", along with other things. At a certain point though, I have to confess I have a bit of a confirmation bias when I think too deeply about it at this point in time.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2016, 08:54:07 pm »
There are circumstantial arguments you can make, connecting dots to come to the conclusion that Obsidian recently said they'd be announcing a new RPG in a few months, combined with their tweet the day of the Paradox purchase that Paradox also "favorited", along with other things.

The problem is than Brian Mitsoda wrote in his email to me that he knows nothing about a WoD RPG by Obsidian. So either it isn't happening yet or they don't want him involved and both are bad options in my opinion!

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2016, 10:10:42 pm »
The problem is than Brian Mitsoda wrote in his email to me that he knows nothing about a WoD RPG by Obsidian. So either it isn't happening yet or they don't want him involved and both are bad options in my opinion!

Well, if they leave out Mitsoda, it wouldn't be that much of a tragedy. I mean, as much as I would like him to work on a next VtM crpg, there are quite a few other talented rpg video game creators, so as long as they have another guy with Mitsoda's level of talent, we're still good.

And, as I have often mentioned earlier, the next VtM rpg shouldn't neccessarily be a sequel to Bloodlines. It could be an urelated story, with some tie-ins or mentions of Bloodlines events at max.

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
Or that there is NDA's involved...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal