collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 81660 times)

Offline NightRevolt

• Fledgling
  • 'I may be dead, but i feel more alive than ever.'
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2016, 04:01:24 am »
That's some very interesting news, i'll wait and see what is going to happen before i can report any opinion on this.

But this is an important event, nonetheless.

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:32 am »
Okay, so I recently checked out Obsidian Entertainment's forum, where there was a discussion about what kind of game would Obsidian be able to make of World of Darkness with the budget they have. I heard that before Pillars of Eternity came out, Obsidian almost got bankrupt, and that is why they had to make a kickstarter project. Allegedly a kickstarter campaign is not enough to fund a fully voiced non-isometric third person/first person RPG. So, in case Obsidian would make the next WoD (hopefully) CRPG, do you think that Paradox would invest into them to make a grand VtMB-esque game with a 3D graphics engine? Is it even accustomed for publishers to invest in a developer company so that they have sufficient funds to make a satisfying game?

To tell you the truth, the one thing I really not want from a new WoD game is to be an isometric rpg with a lot of reading. While I agree that Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1 and 2 and Planscape Torment are one of the greatest rpg games ever made, I was just never capable of playing them through, because I realised that this is just not my type of game style.

So on that note, which 3D engines do you think would be most suitable to make a new WoD game?

Offline Mond_Blutgut

• Neonate
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:41 pm »
Mmmh, I don't know... with Bloodlines being held in fairly high regard, both generally and amongst the hardcore RPG crowd (infamous rpgcodex.net ranks it at #6 in their all time top 70 PC RPGs list) I think it's not unlikely for a (partially) crowdfunded Bloodlines sequel to end up as one of the highest funded projects ever. Somewhere in between Shenmue III (6.3m) and Torment: Tides of Numenera (4.1m) should be possible, I think. Even more so with Obsidian as the developer.

Would Paradox (or even Obsidian) then chip in the additional funds for a final production budget in the two-digit million range (and then some)? I think so, yes. A sequel to one of the best and most revered RPGs done right would sell like hotcakes, so investing into it is the smart thing to do.

Obsidian has experience with Cryengine (their tank sim Armored Warfare runs on it) so if Obsidian turns out to be the developer of Bloodlines 2 then I guess they would use that.
Looking at the Crysis games, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Lichdom: Battlemage, Star Citizen or Ryse: Son of Rome it would seem a very good choice for a game engine to build a first person/3rd person RPG on.

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:09 pm »
Is it even accustomed for publishers to invest in a developer company so that they have sufficient funds to make a satisfying game?

Given that in this case Paradox Entertainment wouldn't have the publisher hat (necessarily), but as license holder ... They've even explicitly said that they've placed the license in a new daughter company instead of Paradox Interactive as to be able to hand it to another publisher if they feel that it would be better for the game.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2016, 10:12:47 pm »

Obsidian has experience with Cryengine (their tank sim Armored Warfare runs on it) so if Obsidian turns out to be the developer of Bloodlines 2 then I guess they would use that.
Looking at the Crysis games, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Lichdom: Battlemage, Star Citizen or Ryse: Son of Rome it would seem a very good choice for a game engine to build a first person/3rd person RPG on.

I think Cryengine is good but considering that Star Citizen took so long to get an alpha out, I think maybe UE4 is a more solid choice.

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:41 am »
What about the latest Source engine? Is it too expensive, or anyone involved previously in the making of Bloodlines will put it out of the question? :)

Offline Mond_Blutgut

• Neonate
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2016, 10:29:02 am »

I think Cryengine is good but considering that Star Citizen took so long to get an alpha out, I think maybe UE4 is a more solid choice.

Star Citizen is much more ambitious and much much bigger in scope than something like a Bloodlines 2 would be, so it's only natural that it takes that long.
Unreal would be a good alternate choice, but has been used to death over the last couple of years and I'd rather see someone do a proper WoD RPG in Cryengine, which hasn't been used for that many games, especially first person/3rd person RPGs.

What about the latest Source engine? Is it too expensive, or anyone involved previously in the making of Bloodlines will put it out of the question? :)

Source, even in the latest iteration, seems a bit too outdated by now?
And I doubt that Tim Cain still knows how to work with it, after 12 years?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:06:21 pm by Mond_Blutgut »

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2016, 10:02:14 pm »

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2016, 12:04:55 am »
Interesting news. I wonder what it will be. I think it will be only a minor game with a simple gameplay (a mobile game maybe?). I wouldn't want that to be the next big crpg title, because one year would really be a short time to make such a thing. And one thing I wouldn't want from them is an episodic game.

Maybe it will be an expansion pack to Bloodlines? XD
(What, Age of Mythology also got an expansion after like 14 years, so it's not unheard of...)

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2016, 11:27:35 am »
reading it I'm more inclined to believe that its actually something for tabletop that they'll release, perhaps something to update the story from "eternal 90s" to present day, and/or shifting the focus from US towards Europe

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2016, 06:41:26 pm »
There will be a release in 2016

Weird! As I wrote in the other thread, I had email contact with Brian Mitsoda about some more stuff that might have been lost and asked him about a Bloodlines sequel. He would pretty much want to do this, but as far as he knows WW/Paradox has not started anything yet. He asks us to write to them that we want him as a writer :)!

Offline J3ster

• Neonate
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2016, 02:49:10 pm »
knows WW/Paradox has not started anything yet
IMO, the "release" in question is probably 4th edition of VTM. Also it's now confirmed that all new videogames will be in the oWoD setting. Oh, well, i almost started to like VtR.

Offline atrblizzard

• Administratrix
  • Methuselah
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2016, 09:58:34 pm »

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2016, 11:11:32 pm »

Could it have anything to do with the recent deal White Wolf had with this company?

http://www.igbaffiliate.com/blog/foxium-strikes-ip-deal-white-wolf-publishing

Okay, I don't get this. Foxium is an 'online slot production studio in the online gambling market'. What does this has to do with White Wolf? Maybe (because I'm not a native english speaker) I don't understand the meaning of gambling, but I'm pretty sure that using Presence or Dominate during a texas hold'em party still makes it cheating. :D
But seriously, I don' get it.

Offline J3ster

• Neonate
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2016, 08:01:34 am »
Could it have anything to do with the recent deal White Wolf had with this company?
Hmm, there's no date, but april seems to be quite far off.
Okay, I don't get this. Foxium is an 'online slot production studio in the online gambling market'. What does this has to do with White Wolf? Maybe (because I'm not a native english speaker) I don't understand the meaning of gambling, but I'm pretty sure that using Presence or Dominate during a texas hold'em party still makes it cheating. :D
But seriously, I don' get it.
It's not about cards, mate, more about something like this in WoD setting.
Basically they're saying "CofD isn't selling as good as we've expected and we need more money to launch new videogames, cuz our tabletop business as it is barely breaks even".
WTF!?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal