collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 81603 times)

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2015, 04:29:23 pm »
I see some problems here: Dogma is obviously using some of the cancelled MMO assets

How is that possible?

That's what Paradox it asking themselves right now probably. I figure, some angry MMO developer kept some assets and they somehow ended up with Project Dogmat...

Close, very close. Idk how much they've changed or added since the MMO stopped development, buildings, gameplay ect may be very different, but they absolutely had their hands on at least part of the unfinished WoD MMO's assets. We know from their blogs they've slaved away at trying to make a game that the WoD MMO could have been. That's about as much as I can divulge publicly.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:46:42 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2015, 06:02:56 pm »
I see some problems here: Dogma is obviously using some of the cancelled MMO assets

How is that possible?

That's what Paradox it asking themselves right now probably. I figure, some angry MMO developer kept some assets and they somehow ended up with Project Dogmat...

And you know this how? just cause assets look similar doesn't make them the same ... my guess is that Dogmat used the MMO's leaked concept art if at all. but to say that someone just gave them the assets sounds abit of a stretch to me and even harder to prove.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2015, 10:55:11 pm »
... my guess is that Dogmat used the MMO's leaked concept art if at all.

I think some graphics of the first Project Dogmat screenshots looked exactly the same as in the MMO, like HUD icons and similar stuff. Even if they took this out of concept art or screenshots, this would be exactly what Paradox can't tolerate! But it seems they have already replaced these assets with their own, so maybe they can talk about the rest. If Paradox would only plan to do a single player RPG by Obsidian, they might not care to have Project Dogmat as a MMO alternative or even support them...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:58:36 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2015, 12:14:39 am »
If Paradox have claim for any of it , they might wait until Project Dogmat is successful to finish "looking into it" that way they can actually reap some rewards from all that legal work, assuming they are not making their own MMO.

Either way, they are a publisher so I seriously doubt they will just let it slide if someone is using their assets illegally.

Offline Tricky

• Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2015, 10:56:43 am »
I can't believe people think IP law just doesn't apply to them.

But why has this become an issue only now? Surely someone at CCP games, while they still had the rights to it, must have noticed their assets were being used in a different project? Or are they just that busy with Eve Online?

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2015, 12:05:01 pm »
But why has this become an issue only now? Surely someone at CCP games, while they still had the rights to it, must have noticed their assets were being used in a different project? Or are they just that busy with Eve Online?

I would guess CCP were busy selling the IP to Paradox at the time, so it would make no sense having their own lawyers waste money on a problem that wasn't their's anymore soon. They did stop Project Vaulderie!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:08:06 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2015, 01:44:23 pm »
I can't believe people think IP law just doesn't apply to them.

If you watch the video, Tobias doesn't say the word "assets" anywhere. He says that Dogma says they aren't infringing on World of Darkness and he has WW's legal team looking into it. He doesn't even say he's going to take action. The assets issue is an observation of Wesps, he's later clarified his remarks in assuming they are using assets now, specifying that in the beginning of Project Dogmat, icons were similar ect. Tobias does also say Dogma's team has been cooperative and he appreciated their openness, there's no battle being fought here yet, just an assessment. 

Did they have WoD MMO assets? Absolutely, and there's an explanation for it that I won't divulge because of sources ect. I will say in the beginning, the Dogmat team was going to continue the WoD MMO, and attempt to present a working demo to CCPGames. After those talks fell through, they decided to make their own game with their own lore to fill the void. I'm under the presumption they used their own textures and assets for this, because Airykai is a bright and capable person, he understands the industry and I don't personally believe he set out to rip someone off, I just don't. I can see this from both sides, WW's position and Dogma's, and I don't think there is a distinct "bad guy" here, but that's just my opinion based on my understanding.

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:51 pm »
On another note, it appears Obsidian is doing a great deal of hiring right now :)

http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2015, 02:35:35 pm »
On another note, it appears Obsidian is doing a great deal of hiring right now :)

Very interesting! Also I didn't know about the Armored Warfare game, which implies that Obsidian would theoretically be able to do a WoD MMO using the CryEngine 3, as they already have experience with these systems. Which of course would be a huge problem for Dogma if Paradox decided to go down that road instead of a singleplayer RPG...

Offline Tricky

• Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2015, 03:05:37 pm »
Lots of hiring indeed. Wesp5, if you not doing anything...   :razz:

I bet they know who you are. That's half the work of getting in business.   :chinscratch:

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:47 pm »

Narrative designer, eh?  That sounds like a job I could handle. I have no official experience in the industry but I also don't need that much money. I should have been an artist.  Look how many jobs there are for art.
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2015, 07:22:19 pm »

Narrative designer, eh?  That sounds like a job I could handle. I have no official experience in the industry but I also don't need that much money. I should have been an artist.  Look how many jobs there are for art.

IMO You don't need official experience, you have a degree and some unofficial experience writing , if you are good and have something to show for it they will hire you.

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:52 pm »
Damn, so if we lose 2 admins to Obsidian, that'll leave us at a 4:9 ratio of admins to consistent posters...  :rofl:

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2015, 09:05:48 pm »
Lots of hiring indeed. Wesp5, if you not doing anything...   :razz:

I'm only patching Bloodlines as a hobby, I have a real job already :)!

I bet they know who you are. That's half the work of getting in business.   :chinscratch:

Well, if they know me, they could at least ask me to beta test their new game. Because finding bugs and fixing them if possible is what I can do best ;)!

Offline Tricky

• Fledgling
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2015, 10:41:51 pm »
It goes a step further than that. You're an established name with the Bloodlines crowd and having you on their beta testing team could be good promotion to the rest of the community. 

It's all about how you sell it. :cometome:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal