collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 81672 times)

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:34 pm »
I'm intrigued as to see what they will do with it. Still can't see a Bloodlines II happening anytime soon.

I don't see it happening either, although, as I mentioned previously, I would very much like to see a VtM rpg where the story and events of VtmR and VtmB are kept canon (or at least semi-canon), and there would be some hints to those throughout the game. Also, some returning npcs would be nice...

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2015, 08:37:22 pm »
I'm intrigued as to see what they will do with it. Still can't see a Bloodlines II happening anytime soon.

I don't see it happening either, although, as I mentioned previously, I would very much like to see a VtM rpg where the story and events of VtmR and VtmB are kept canon (or at least semi-canon), and there would be some hints to those throughout the game. Also, some returning npcs would be nice...

Its very hard to bring a cast back together after a production is over, especially after so many years and I don't think its any different for voice actors etc ..  so i'd lower expectations if something like that happens.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2015, 09:29:20 pm »
Its very hard to bring a cast back together after a production is over, especially after so many years...

At least Brian Mitsoda is already working for Obsidian :)!

Offline Tricky

• Fledgling
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2015, 11:20:41 pm »
With Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity published by Paradox chances should be good that Paradox approaches Obsidian for a possible sequel to Bloodlines? I mean, fucking KOTOR 2 and Fallout: New Vegas should be prove enough that Obsidian can do First Person/Third Person RPGs like VTMB?
Also, Tim Cain.

Another developer that could pull it off (imho) would be CDPROJEKTRED, but they probably are too focused on getting their Cyberpunk RPG done over the next few years.

And if anything, at least the Vaulderie guys should be able to continue with their Overhaul project.

I'd rather anyone but Obsidian. Until they get something else, I consider New Vegas their 'fluke'. KotOR 2 was a good game, but very unfinished, just like Neverwinter Nights 2. Still, an unfinished but moddable game is better than the "no game of any kind" that's been released under CCP.

I think Obsidian is a likely candidate. They have dealt with Paradox before, are not one to back out of a project or to deliver too little, too late, and they've always been keen on taking up an existing license, especially of games that are a bit older and still have popular cult followings (not that they always acquired these licenses mind you, but they do try). They sort of tend to be gamers more than programmers, which can be a good thing, but is ultimately reflected on their ability to write stable code. That is something that may have improved a bit since though.

I kept a lot of respect for them after KOTOR 2 for one reason, in spite of all the bugs. The golden age of story telling in video games has decidedly been over for the past decade and a half. There's been the occassional gem, but truly special stories are a dime in a dozen. And of all developers out there today that claim to write these epic stories for PC, I can only think of one or two that actually consistently deliver. Obsidian is one of those companies. Kotor 2 had some fantastically developed characters and plot twists, as did their New Vegas, which was pretty much the Planescape:Torment of that decade. Any turd with funding can make a game these days, and especially when looking at recent games like Fallout 4, release standards are arguably lower than they were in 2004. Even if Obsidian hasn't improved, I imagine they can easily put out a much better game now than they did then, comparitively.

It's also interesting that Obsidian has been messing around a bit with MMO's lately. They're forming an interesting curriculum that could be applicable to some of the assets Paradox acquired that were intended for CCP's WOD MMO. Who knows, maybe we'll get that multiplayer game after all.

Edit: oh, that... tweet from Obsidian. This is why one should read the whole thread before replying.  :facepalm:

:rock:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:45:43 pm by Tricky »

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2015, 08:22:44 pm »
As I just posted on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/PlanetVamp

Worth watching the whole thing.
I will also note Tobias mentions Dogma: Eternal Night a little after the 22 minute mark. If something evolves from this, we'll keep you posted. We promote Dogma at PlanetVampire, as well as WhiteWolf titles and will not take sides.

I think most people can at least acknowledge that Dogma came from love of vampire lore, when there was an enormous void in vampire role-playing video games because the WoDMMO failed and CCPGames, from the perspective of those outside their offices, didn't do anything, even communicate to the video gaming side of the WoD, and thus games like Dark were born.

Having said that, Tobias Sjogren is tasked with rebuilding the brand, communities, and protecting their investment. He doesn't come across as a vindictive person at all, it's his job to look at similar competition that may infringe upon White Wolf's intellectual property. If White Wolf is going to rebuild, they need profit, so it makes practical sense to look into it, right?

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2015, 11:07:20 pm »
Its their right to take a look into it of course, but it will seem kind of petty if they'd go after that but not after something bigger like The Vampire Diaries.

I'm not really taking sides either, I'm not invested in Project Dogmat, and I don't intend to be but I still think that until WW delivers something to the PC market again they and Paradox need to be fair with the fanbase that waited for ages for something to come out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:10:59 pm by Radical21 »

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2015, 11:28:06 pm »
http://theonyxpath.com/announcing-chronicles-of-darkness/

Looks like Paradox/White Wolf Publishing have taken the first step to make the settings more approachable to new players.

They've decided on re-branding nWoD to Chronicles of Darkness (with the default abbreviation of CofD), while oWoD/cWoD (they seem to be used quite interchangeably), is going back to be the only one marketed with the World of Darkness tag.

While I'm sure someone is going to hate on them for doing it, I frankly can't see anything but good outcomes from this as it would make it so much easier to differentiate between the two related but different 'setting worlds'. And in turn easier to market stuff to new consumers, no matter if its luring them into tabletop or down the road restarting any computer series.

Also, reading the comment section, it heavily suggests that Onyx Path is permitted to stay around playing in the sandbox primarily focusing on CofD, while Paradox/WWP focuses on WoD.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:36:30 pm by Sian »

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2015, 11:55:17 pm »

I'm not really taking sides either, I'm not invested in Project Dogmat, and I don't intend to be but I still think that until WW delivers something to the PC market again they and Paradox need to be fair with the fanbase that waited for ages for something to come out.

Other than time promoting, I'm not invested financially either. Airykai is someone who impressed me early on, and I feel I know where he's coming from, and I wish them success. There isn't much discussion on Dogma here in the forums, but there's a lot of interest on social media where I promote it most.

As to why I'm not personally financially invested, I'm not interested in MMO's in general, and with my current income, I couldn't afford to buy a game then also pay a subscription. I also haven't seen many mmo's that really make me feel immersed. WoW is the most successful immersive MMO, but it had Warcraft lore to fall back on, this is "new". The Dogma team hinted on Kickstarter that they may try kickstarter again down the road. I'll continue promoting them on fb and twitter because they're really dedicated and it's not about what I'd buy, people are interested.

Offline Sian

• Fledgling
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2015, 12:01:52 am »
Looking at Dogma: I'm wondering if it might be possible that WWP would consider approaching them about financing it for it getting retooled into fitting either CofD or WoD depending on which one they deem it to fit better in.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2015, 12:44:29 am »
Looking at Dogma: I'm wondering if it might be possible that WWP would consider approaching them about financing it for it getting retooled into fitting either CofD or WoD depending on which one they deem it to fit better in.

Doubtful, I assume it largely depends on the quality of the project and legal stuff.
 Although in the past Paradox did take indie projects such as M&B and turned them into a success so who knows.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2015, 05:18:53 am »
As I just posted on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/PlanetVamp

Worth watching the whole thing.
I will also note Tobias mentions Dogma: Eternal Night a little after the 22 minute mark. If something evolves from this, we'll keep you posted. We promote Dogma at PlanetVampire, as well as WhiteWolf titles and will not take sides.

I think most people can at least acknowledge that Dogma came from love of vampire lore, when there was an enormous void in vampire role-playing video games because the WoDMMO failed and CCPGames, from the perspective of those outside their offices, didn't do anything, even communicate to the video gaming side of the WoD, and thus games like Dark were born.

Having said that, Tobias Sjogren is tasked with rebuilding the brand, communities, and protecting their investment. He doesn't come across as a vindictive person at all, it's his job to look at similar competition that may infringe upon White Wolf's intellectual property. If White Wolf is going to rebuild, they need profit, so it makes practical sense to look into it, right?

Thanks for that post. Very informative as to where this is all heading.
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2015, 05:37:44 pm »
Doubtful, I assume it largely depends on the quality of the project and legal stuff.

I see some problems here: Dogma is obviously using some of the cancelled MMO assets and Paradox surely will want to know how they got to do this and of course they wouldn't be able to continue doing so unless Paradox allows it.

Also it seems as if the kickstarter will not be successfull anyway and I never understood how a basically small indie developer would be able to run the expensive servers and support that are needed for MMOs in the first place.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2015, 08:45:14 pm »

I see some problems here: Dogma is obviously using some of the cancelled MMO assets

How is that possible? the Assets were never released for public consumption in any form AFAIK.. at best you have screenshots.

I never understood how a basically small indie developer would be able to run the expensive servers and support that are needed for MMOs in the first place.

Most of it depends on the kind of server and the number of users, there are server rentals for a monthly fee... as for support for MMOs today there are software that pretty much do that stuff for you so that is less of an issue.
Either way I  doubt it will be like EVE Online where its one giant server for everyone : more likely you would have instancing.. for example renting a 20 cores server costs ~420$ per month.

But that is part of the reason I'd never try to develop an MMORPG : Games like VTMR can last forever but if it was an MMO all it'll take is they stop paying the servers and no more game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:55:43 pm by Radical21 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2015, 11:13:58 am »
I see some problems here: Dogma is obviously using some of the cancelled MMO assets

How is that possible?

That's what Paradox it asking themselves right now probably. I figure, some angry MMO developer kept some assets and they somehow ended up with Project Dogmat...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:46:22 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Leorgrium

• Brujah
  • Neonate
  • Brujah
    • Twitter
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2015, 02:10:19 pm »
Q&A with White Wolf about Worldofdarkness and their future plans

Everybody Lies...
PlanetVampire Discord Channel: https://discord.io/planetvampire

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal