collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 81662 times)

Offline CaptainBoxman

• I R Boxman still!
  • Fledgling
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »
Just stopping in to say: Fuck Yeah

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2015, 02:34:40 am »
I think you're being very kind calling Tell Tale's projects "games." They are more like (promotional) comic books that try to give the appearance of letting you make decisions when none of your decisions matter. It's not a game, it's a book, when you do that. Don't get me wrong, I love books, but I'd like a Wraith game.

Over half the RPGs I played are like that, even the ones that pretend to give choices.

To a much lesser degree usually. In Telltale's projects you experience every part of the story no matter what decisions you make vs in say Bloodlines or Fallout or Sleeping Dogs you have side quests that you can CHOOSE to do or not do. That alone is more freedom than Telltale projects because if you don't do the side quest the game will never force you to come back and play it later. And there's the freedom to choose which dialogue option you want, which may not trigger extra content that you might miss (say... in Club Confession, you never tell her it was you that blew up the warehouse, so she never hires you to help her with her "business partner").

You remember Chrono Trigger or the first KoTOR? Both games where your decisions could have a large effect on not just of the end of the game but of your whole game experience. And with Chrono Trigger your actions really came back to bite you in the butt during the trial.

I just see these Telltale projects and think, with gaming and Youtube gaming channels where they are, it's incredibly easy to just watch someone else play it as soon as the game comes out, given that decisions don't matter and I'll see all of the story anyway. It's also free.
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Bohemian Toreador

• Fledgling
  • Only Beauty redeems...
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »
This is great news! Obsidian seems to be a good choice for a VTM cRPG, but in any case I am sure that Paradox will handle the IP the way it should be.

Signothorn mentioned that Project Vaulderie is dead, which is a shame really, since now it would be the chance to bring it back. Maybe Paradox might be inclined to support the conversion of VTMB to newer iteration of the engine or at least release HD version (whatever that might mean actually) of VTMB (well, thinking about it, HD version of VTMR would be a riot, too).

I mean although I am looking forward to new WoD cRPGs (and it seems like we might be getting not only VTM/DAV, but Werewolf and other WOD IP games as well), I think that VTMB and VTMR deserve the HD makeover (like so many other old good games got).

I guess the new games, at least "VTMB 2" (or "VTMR 2" - depending on what style they will go for) will be 4E game, which (regardless of how 4E will turn out, I try to stay cautiously optimistic about that) might be good thing in that it may bring new folks into the freshly updated WoD. Although I would not mind Skyrim/Fallout kind of open world enabling you to choose if you want to roll as a Vampire or a Werewolf or a Mage or whatever, I would prefer they stick with the strong storytelling, i.e. a story-driven cRPG(s) - make one really good Vampire game, make another equally really good Werewolf game etc.

But frankly, at this point, I will probably be cool even with the MMO, if they went for that.

Now, the Masquerade can not only continue, it can prosper.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2015, 03:48:57 pm »
The Swedish PC Gamer magazine's facebook page contains a comment from someone who works at Paradox and I mentioned my excitement over their purchase of White Wolf. I also directed him to planetvampire if he wants to see what the latest news is on the modding scene. If they didn't know about us before, they hopefully will do so now. The dude even "liked" my comment, lol.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:52:23 pm by Ventrueloquist »

Offline NemaN

• Fledgling
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2015, 02:06:01 am »
There has been a vaporware Werewolf game in the past. didn't make it, don't remember why.

If you're talking about Werewolf: The Apocalypse - The Heart of Gaia, it wasn't vaporware, ASC Games weren't able to complete its developed, because Dream Forge, their publisher, went bankrupt, then they weren't able to get another publisher, thus, the project was cancelled.

Now, there was another WTA game which was being developed by Capcom, it was abruptly cancelled without an explanation, but Capcom also closed their western studio that year.

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2015, 08:24:08 am »

Now, there was another WTA game which was being developed by Capcom, it was abruptly cancelled without an explanation, but Capcom also closed their western studio that year.

I actually googled this and found that game's prototype for download on some site, could that be real? there is 1 screenshot of really pixelated PS1 3d/2d

I did not try , need to be sure my computer is insulated against any possible trojans
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:30:37 am by Radical21 »

Offline NemaN

• Fledgling
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2015, 01:34:59 am »

I actually googled this and found that game's prototype for download on some site, could that be real? there is 1 screenshot of really pixelated PS1 3d/2d

I did not try , need to be sure my computer is insulated against any possible trojans

Yes, it's real, I don't know if the page you found it's legit, but that was truly released about 2009. I'd downloaded it some years ago, I can't find a page which offers the file right now.

You could select from a bunch of premade characters and immediately appeared in an alley, then NPCs used to appear. By the way, I'm reading a new version of the prototype was rebuilt and it added more features, although, that wasn't the version I had downloaded back then.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2015, 08:42:09 am »
I actually googled this and found that game's prototype for download on some site, could that be real?

Could you please post a link to that here?

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2015, 06:43:29 pm »
I actually googled this and found that game's prototype for download on some site, could that be real?

Could you please post a link to that here?

no point , it doesn't work anymore

found a gameplay footage though :
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:47:25 pm by Radical21 »

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2015, 07:02:07 pm »
I just tuned into a Twitch Stream (PlayfieldHQ) where Tobias Sjogren was being interviewed, and I got a question in about Wod, specifically when he'd be able to talk about whether or not they were going to sick Obsidian on a new WoD game. I didn't expect an answer with a date, though I felt I had to ask. He did respond however, and I learned a lot about his mindset. He said he's working closely with all the partners at the moment, on the publishing side ect. Paraphrasing, he wants to get all licensing partners on the same page first, then start talking about projects down the road.

From his recent interviews, Tobias stated the WW deal was in the works for some time. I have the impression that WW has a plan and a strategy to get where it needs to go. Tobias did talk at great length about modding keeping Bloodlines alive, and also demonstrated that he's looking at what the modding community is doing, as well as uploaded content like videos. I also thanked him for taking my question on Twitter and he responded within 5 minutes.

My big take away impression from interviews and what Tobias said today, is the new White Wolf is going to be engaged in all aspects of their business, including communities. They aren't CCPGames, who basically ignored communities and users by and large, and therefore didn't really understand what to do in order to make WW great in my view. I'm not hating on CCPGames any longer, I think after they realized they couldn't make WW what it should or could be, they made a great effort to find a company suitable to do it right, so I'm thankful for that.

Thoughts?

Offline Signothorn

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2015, 09:50:03 pm »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/09/white-wolf-interview/   Good interview, mention of Project Vaulderie in passing too.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:52 am »
Seems legit. That's the same vibe I got off of their answers in previous interviews. Seems like they're just getting their ducks lined up in a row before they move forward on any specific projects, but the news that they were inches away from signing a deal to make a video game with WW before WW was bought by CCP is certainly a good sign.
"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Bohemian Toreador

• Fledgling
  • Only Beauty redeems...
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2015, 02:44:52 pm »
Thanks for the link for the interview! This looks great, this is what the IP needed, a way forward. Frankly, I am more relaxed regarding VTM 4E, since they obviously have a great metaplot in mind for all the cWoD lines! We'll see. I hope next year we will at least get Bloodlines HD edition (although VTMR HD, i.e. ported to some more modern engine, would be rad as well). Way to go Paradox!

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2015, 04:00:46 pm »
I'm optimistic about the WW-Paradox deal regarding the IP so far.  Makes me question if I should keep thinking about making a community IP now that VTM seems to be back at good hands.

Offline Ventrueloquist

• Methuselah
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2015, 04:21:31 pm »
Thanks for the link for the interview! This looks great, this is what the IP needed, a way forward. Frankly, I am more relaxed regarding VTM 4E, since they obviously have a great metaplot in mind for all the cWoD lines! We'll see. I hope next year we will at least get Bloodlines HD edition (although VTMR HD, i.e. ported to some more modern engine, would be rad as well). Way to go Paradox!
HD versions of those games would be great, not so much for the graphics (even Redemption looks good imo), but mostly for the modding possibilities and larger player base that comes from a newer engine. However, I think we're likely to hear more about Vampyr from Dontnod Entertainment, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dontnod_Entertainment, before we hear anything about new WoD games. That's because this is all so new. Paradox/White Wolf needs to get an overview of what they have, what they want to do, get into contact with other developers and publishers and then wait until they have something worth showing. Doing an HD release, they'd need to get Activision's permission, since they published both VTMR and VTMB.

Whatever the case, we're bound to get something eventually and I doubt Paradox wants their first WoD game to be underwhelming or rushed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal