collapse

Author Topic: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP  (Read 68962 times)

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
Re: Paradox buys White wolf from CCP
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
With Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity published by Paradox chances should be good that Paradox approaches Obsidian for a possible sequel to Bloodlines? I mean, fucking KOTOR 2 and Fallout: New Vegas should be prove enough that Obsidian can do First Person/Third Person RPGs like VTMB?
Also, Tim Cain.

Another developer that could pull it off (imho) would be CDPROJEKTRED, but they probably are too focused on getting their Cyberpunk RPG done over the next few years.

And if anything, at least the Vaulderie guys should be able to continue with their Overhaul project.

Would be kinda funny to see Obsidian make a game, because Shane DeFreest was laid off by CCPGames after being an awesome community contact for Redemption and Bloodlines, and now works for Obsidian :) When he started working there, and many times since on FB, he's noted how many VtM fans work there.

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »
Man, a new game would be very, VERY exciting. As for that tweet, I have had good and bad experiences with Obsidian, but after all these years, just the possibility that something gets made is enough to make me giddy, so here's hoping Paradox has plans for a crpg.  :cometome:

Offline Zer0Morph

• Methuselah
    • Team Camarilla International
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
I just got the email from Signothorn, read the article, jumped up in JOY, then logged in here to post about it. This is amazing news! Paradox Interactive has shown themselves to be a down-to-earth, fair, non-money grubbing publisher on fantastic titles like Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis, and Crusader Kings. They apparently don't care much about money but rather focus on just making good games, charging a fair price, and supporting them with patches. They do something that almost no publisher does these days, THEY LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER!

Just the other day someone made a complaint on their "Let's Play" about Europa Universalis about the UI layout. Suddenly about a week later Paradox releases an update with this guys suggestion implemented. Stuff like that is unheard of these days.

This is fantastic news and CEO Fredrik Wester is a smart guy and wouldn't have purchased WW without a plan. There is no downside to this. I highly doubt they will turn future VtM PC games into an MMO, they just don't seem like that kind of company. I wouldn't be surprised to see a PC game reboot series created and sold on Steam. I'm not a big fan of Steam but selling it on there really cuts down on publishing costs for them, which they can in turn use the saved money on a better game for us. :)

Offline Grizzly_UK

• Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
With Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity published by Paradox chances should be good that Paradox approaches Obsidian for a possible sequel to Bloodlines? I mean, fucking KOTOR 2 and Fallout: New Vegas should be prove enough that Obsidian can do First Person/Third Person RPGs like VTMB?
Also, Tim Cain.

Another developer that could pull it off (imho) would be CDPROJEKTRED, but they probably are too focused on getting their Cyberpunk RPG done over the next few years.

And if anything, at least the Vaulderie guys should be able to continue with their Overhaul project.

I'd rather anyone but Obsidian. Until they get something else, I consider New Vegas their 'fluke'. KotOR 2 was a good game, but very unfinished, just like Neverwinter Nights 2. Still, an unfinished but moddable game is better than the "no game of any kind" that's been released under CCP.
New Vegas wasn't really a "fluke" as you call it, just that Obsidian were allowed the time to get it right before release. As I understand it the blame for KotOR 2's unfinished state lies more with LucasArts than Obsidian, but with KotOR2 being Obsidian's first game they weren't really in a position to say no to LucasArts' demands. They certainly had a better time with NN2 though, especially given that they were able to develop two expansions. Obsidian have also developed a number of other titles, including Dungeon Siege 3, as well as Pillars of Eternity and it's first expansion (both published by Paradox)! They also helped inXile Entertainment with Wasteland 2. Given the wealth of experience Obsidian's founders have from their time at Black Isle as well, I think they could be the best choice for Paradox to approach regarding a new White Wolf cRPG.

Anywho, the news about Paradox purchasing White Wolf from CCP is nothing but good. Obviously Paradox have plans for the future of White Wolf so I'd guess it's just a matter of time as to when they announce their initial plans. We just have to wait to find out what those plans are! :)

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
I just got the email from Signothorn, read the article, jumped up in JOY, then logged in here to post about it. This is amazing news! Paradox Interactive has shown themselves to be a down-to-earth, fair, non-money grubbing publisher on fantastic titles like Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis, and Crusader Kings. They apparently don't care much about money but rather focus on just making good games, charging a fair price, and supporting them with patches. They do something that almost no publisher does these days, THEY LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER!

Just the other day someone made a complaint on their "Let's Play" about Europa Universalis about the UI layout. Suddenly about a week later Paradox releases an update with this guys suggestion implemented. Stuff like that is unheard of these days.

This is fantastic news and CEO Fredrik Wester is a smart guy and wouldn't have purchased WW without a plan. There is no downside to this. I highly doubt they will turn future VtM PC games into an MMO, they just don't seem like that kind of company. I wouldn't be surprised to see a PC game reboot series created and sold on Steam. I'm not a big fan of Steam but selling it on there really cuts down on publishing costs for them, which they can in turn use the saved money on a better game for us. :)

Well, considering how many DLCs they released for Crusader Kings 2, I'd say they like money too, they just aren't completely blinded by greed, which is of course a nice change nowadays.

By the way, do you guys think it's more likely they will use the "Classic" or the "New" World of Darkness, if they ever make a game? I prefer the "Classic" as a setting, but I honestly have no idea what's the preference among the fans at large.

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
Hm, are there any ex-Troika members working in Obsidian, by any chance? :)

In any case, I really doubt that we will get anything before 2017. So in the meantime, the modding guys have time to bring out the maximum from modding Bloodlines :D

Offline TheSuspiciousSetite

• Fledgling
  • Suspicious indeed.
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
Will they allow project vaulderie?

Offline Signothorn

• God Hates Fangs
  • Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
Will they allow project vaulderie?

Vaulderie is dead and won't be happening. Would be nice to at minimum see some HD remakes though. From Obsidian's tweet I posted above that Paradox re-tweeted, it appears we'll be hearing about SOMETHING soon.

Offline Daecat

• Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »
Interesting news. Thanks Signothorn for the email notification. At first I wasn't sure what to think about it, but I think this is better than the previous situation, which seemed like a cool idea for a game and then nothing. Looking forward to see what Paradox can do...

Offline Ytrumz

• Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »
Good news in my book. Paradox is one of the better publishers out there imo, so hopefully something good will come out of this. :)

Offline Nothingness

• Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 08:30:26 PM »
I'm really happy about this news, that the IP is out of CCP's hands.  I hope we will get single-player games now.  I was really looking forward to an MMO in that setting, one of my dreams, I was already imaginig my Gangrel roaming in the streets at night, but single-player games would be nice too.

Offline Rick Gentle

• Gangrel Playboy
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
My guess is that we're going to see something(s) in the Old World of Darkness first. The article about the acquisition specifically mentions Vampire: The Masquerade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse.
If Paradox can do Crusader Kings II, they could make a kickin' awesome Dark Ages: Vampire game. DAV: The Omen War, DAV: The Black Cross, DAV: The Fall of Constantinople, DAV: The Courts of Love, DAV: The Anarch Revolution, DAV: Chess, DAV: Risk, DAV: Monopoly. The list could go on.

And let's not forget that the market could seriously use a great werewolf game. The most recent game I've seen involving a werewolf is Blood of the Werewolf, and that's an arcade game.

Though I'd love to see them pick up where the WODMMO was abandoned, I think that might be too ambitious for a first title. Maybe a second title, so they can polish it up with everything they've learned about the Worlds of Darkness from the first title.
Remember: It's not the size of your fangs that matters; it's what you stick them in.

Marked as best answer by Signothorn on October 29, 2015, 09:32:36 PM

Offline Saphrax

• Methuselah
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »
Judging by Obsidian's tweet above, I think they already have some specific plans as to what they want to do. I think I'm only stating the obvious, but I'm pretty sure they are going to make an rpg game. And since Obsidian - as far as I know - haven't made an MMO yet, I'm also counting on them to make a single player game.

It would be interesting though to have a vote on what the PV forum members would like better, a single player rpg or an MMO.

Offline Runza77

• Ancillus
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »
Surely this acquisition will give new life to video games based on the Old World of Darkness. The amount of games produced bodes well for the future.