collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Gonna play Bloodlines again, torn on which clan to play.  (Read 594 times)

Offline ArchmageJoda

• Fledgling
Gonna play Bloodlines again, torn on which clan to play.
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:50:52 AM »
So, a friend of mine just got Bloodlines and is playing it for the first time, and I wanted to make my own playthrough in parallel with his, just 'cuz. I've not played in quite some time, so I had to go get the most recent patch for clan quest mod, but now I'm torn between being a Ventrue, which is the one clan I've never finished a playthrough as, or Tremere, one of my standby favorites (I like blood magic, think Strauss is a cool dude, and like the Tremere haven).

Which clan should I play through as this time?

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
Re: Gonna play Bloodlines again, torn on which clan to play.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:26:31 AM »
For starters, you can play with Ventrue to get a different feeling of the game, but with the extreme mod to make the things a bit more interesting. I don't know how many times you have played, so this is first to fall on my mind. If you already haven't, try the Antitribu or the Camarilla mod, preferably as the Giovanni if you are looking for a spike in difficulty.
The meaning of elegance is not to be noticed, it is to be remembered.

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
Honestly, I'd play neither. Okay bloodmagic is cool and the Chantry haven is the nicest. But I don't like the Tremere and Strauss is imo only marginally better than Lacroix. He repeats his "for the good of the clan and the camarilla" sermon like a broken record, and everything that goes wrong is the fault of the anarchs, why even bother to check the facts? (And all the time the plaguebearer hq is right under his nose, across the street from the chantry.)
As for a Ventrue, I just can't play a character who shouldn't loathe the prince the moment he enters the office.
Apart from that, with clan quest I tend to Tremere because the quest is better and I don't want to kill Skelter.

As for what Raving_Neonate said, imo bloodlines is no fps, so I don't need the extreme mod. Something similar goes for Antitribu, but there are other reasons as well why I don't play this mod.
What are those thugs doing at the Ocean House? Why is there no ingame hint that you have to destroy the vases before you can harm the guy in the gallery? Wtf is this thing that attacks me without reason at the Hollywood cemetery? This is where I stopped and uninstalled.
And just as important, you can't change the order of rooms in Grout's mansion without swapping the tapes accordingly. And since Lenusk@ isn't good with the english language, she should either find someone who is or leave a place like the Ocean House alone.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:34:24 AM by Wesp5 »
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »
Bloodlines is a game that has it all in a way. I am mostly interested in the story and what it entails. I never preferred the rise in difficulty, so I play mostly the original game plus the UP+. I played antitribu, but I found the game way too difficult for my standards, thus only making it to Grout's mansion. I recommend the game for its story, since I view Bloodlines like a RPG, from the very start.
The meaning of elegance is not to be noticed, it is to be remembered.

Offline ArchmageJoda

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
Honestly, I'd play neither. Okay bloodmagic is cool and the Chantry haven is the nicest. But I don't like the Tremere and Strauss is imo only marginally better than Lacroix. He repeats his "for the good of the clan and the camarilla" sermon like a broken record, and everything that goes wrong is the fault of the anarchs, why even bother to check the facts? (And all the time the plaguebearer hq is right under his nose, across the street from the chantry.)
As for a Ventrue, I just can't play a character who shouldn't loathe the prince the moment he enters the office.
Apart from that, with clan quest I tend to Tremere because the quest is better and I don't want to kill Skelter.

As for what Raving_Neonate said, imo bloodlines is no fps, so I don't need the extreme mod. Something similar goes for Antitribu, but there are other reasons as well why I don't play this mod.
What are those thugs doing at the Ocean House? Why is there no ingame hint that you have to destroy the vases before you can harm the guy in the gallery? Wtf is this thing that attacks me without reason at the Hollywood cemetery? This is where I stopped and uninstalled.
And just as important, you can't change the order of rooms in Grout's mansion without swapping the tapes accordingly. And since Lenusk@ isn't good with the english language, she should either find someone who is or leave a place like the Ocean House alone.

Yeah, I tried the antitribu mod myself a while back (wanted to play a tzimisce), but wasn't a huge fan of it. I can think of reasons for a ventrue character to still dislike LaCroix, even while schmoozing up to him while it's convenient, in a slow building play for power sense.

I don't actually remember any of the clan quests, it's been over a year since I even looked at it, so with clan quest mod, which clan would you suggest playing, out of the seven?

Offline Rubinia

• Neonate
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
I'd go weird and recommend you a Malkavian :)

The choice between Ventrue and Trem is tricky. I've never played them through, but personally I'd toss off Ventrue because I think they Dominate discipline (which is basically mass-murder-discipline, at least in vanilia game) is too cruel. On the other hand, the very same Dominate is in-dialogue skill, which means you don't really have high Persuasion, Seduction, Intimidation because you just transe people to do your bidding :) A bit like constant cheat-on mode :) But fun, I think

Trems have it a bit more difficult, they gain new Haven far later in-game, but it can be an advantage - you're free to blood-mess the whole Ship map (Elisabeth endevour quest). With any other (maybe apart from Nosferatu) clan you'd want to obey Prince wish or he won't really grant you a prize. With Trem, he won't it even if you play good girl, so you gain nothing by doing so!

Trems are supposed to be excellent fighters. And in some Extended Unofficial Patches they also have their Dominate working in-dialogue, which means they play a bit Ventrue, but I don't remember if it really work's or it is a minor sub-side detail.

Ventrues have Fortitude which I like, they have Awe, might be wonderfull tanks.
"Having created something so extraordinary one would die happy, if one died."

"One is the path of a man, straight and plain: the never ending Crossroads."

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »
And in some Extended Unofficial Patches they also have their Dominate working in-dialogue, which means they play a bit Ventrue, but I don't remember if it really work's or it is a minor sub-side detail.

Yes, in the plus version of the Unofficial Patch Tremere can use some Dominate options in dialogue, but not as often as Ventrue...

Offline SCO

• Ancillus
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
I'm currently playing a Clan quest mod Malk with removed auspex, bloodbuff and bloodheal and added obfuscate (or malks do already have it?), celerity and fortitute. I'm also modding the Regent.dlg file to allow the Tremere haven when it's time (the apartment haven is tiresome to get to and quite often broken until restart of the game exec), and i changed vampire.py hunter spawn to always span max hunters when possible (by spoofing the 'number of broken masquerades' number without actually risking a cutscene death). Hunters make traveling in hubs... 'interesting' and are a reliable farm of money, which i use for... my 'college' mod variation, taken out from camarilla edition.

Auspex is a pretty boring discipline in-game, even if useful. And it combines badly with obfuscate into a horrible mess of shader effects (they actually cause LCD 'burn' - only it's not really lcd burn, just the illusion of it).

Bloodheal and Bloodbuff I'm convinced are the 'cheating' powers (along with obfuscate ofc) and shouldn't even be in the game imo - even if it's true to tabletop, i don't give a damn. Bloodbuff and Auspex trivialize computer and lockpick checks respectively and remove a significant part of the quest traveling salesman metagame. They aren't even needed.

I kind of regret getting obfuscate sorta (not removing it because xp investment and it feels like 'extreme' cheating to redistribute xp). I had gotten it to listen to the - many - unique dialog of guards in hubs that gets disabled if combat is triggered or if you savescum, but the combination of malk voices + obfuscate sound effects/voices and vomit shader filter make this not very enjoyable. Plus, CQM makes sure obfuscate isn't a god discipline later on by giving most vamps auspex, so it's even more trouble than its worth on the final maps.

Ventrue, Malkavian and Tremere (to a lesser degree) get custom dialog options not only dialog reactions (you can add Nosferatu to the high number of 'dialog' reactions).

But the ventrue dominate dialogs are usually pretty boring and most times lead to the same response as high persuasion. Tremere get screwed over on max physical stats and dominate dialogs - max check dominate 1 - (though dominate 5 on CQM is super powerful for mob management).

From this i concluded that i wanted (for my 20th replay or so) to get a Malk with 'extras'. Truth to tell this game is pretty much a dead horse to me, i occasionally beat a little on it to get a bit of minor enjoyment, just like fallout 2, but i'm pretty sure eventually i'll stop playing at all, unless there is a major mod release with new content.

I kind of lost hope for a meaningful revitalization with the shutdown of the fan-remake project. Now only through the greed of a publisher can the game get the technical base of the game be elevated to the point modular mods (as in 'multiple mods working on the same game session') be a possibility, not that i'm waiting holding my breath. Pretty sure if a remake was done by a publisher they'd manage to screw up the mechanics or xp balance and there is no guarantee at all it would be a better moding base than we already have.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:22:06 AM by SCO »

Offline Prometheus

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
I made a Ventrue combatant. It started as an experiment but it evolved into a build on its own right. Fortitude and Presence combined are not a joke, specifically in a Mod where Presence -actually- mesmerizes, which sadly is not in 9.9UP but I found it in CQM. All in all the only problem is that the combo makes everything laughable and you will probably not feel much of a threat as long as the combo is up.

Offline LibraExAnima

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 08:57:01 AM »
While Malks are sure to be fun, think of it that outside of CQM obfuscate is hilariously strong, even if the duration is nerfed. I am thinking about it too, since I never played Brujah, Gangrel, Nossi (Obfuscate again). Nossis may have an interesting combo of skills (animalism to be specific) but lack my preference of being someone that likes to be close to humankind while playing Bloodlines. Brujah seems to be "I'll beat you to death"-like with an combat-only skillset and probably don't have an interesting story influence dialogwise, thus making them highly ignorable for me. Gangrel... I am not sure about that. By now I personally didn't play them because I didn't like that Bob Marley-Ecoterrorist style and that crouching  :rofl: So Nossi and Brujah just gets ignored until CQM updated and maybe integrated the newer version of UP+ ^^

Antitibru was... interesting but what always lures me away from most mods is the frustration at the skyline apartments when it begins to bug out. TRASH CANS ANYWHERE! My view on reality is already twisted a bit, so I don't know if it really was a bug or it's just me  :chinscratch:

Offline SCO

• Ancillus
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »
Brujah can be 'interesting' for a single reason: they're the clan with the worst frenzy checks.

Very minor, but a good scare when it happens (if you're lucky to survive).

After playing the malk with 'extras', i agree: obfuscate is boring, just like auspex. Stealth does the same thing, but with more risk, so better tension and without vomit filter. Playing the malk or nosferatu clan quests without obfuscate is very nice, if you manage the ghosting. It almost seems impossible on the Malk CQ, but it is possible with a distraction - you know, that throwing thing you used in the tutorial and never again? - and easier with celerity (though it isn't necessary).

For my latest i got rid of every standby. Auspex, celerity, obfuscate, bloodheal, bloodbuff. Made a Ventrue with animalism, fortitude, dominate, dementation, thaumaturgy and protean.

Interestingly, CQM protean and dementation gives minor boosts to hacking (Wits and computer respectively), which were quite fundamental to scrap by those challenges. Dementation and dominate have quite useful powers for social and to steal guarded stuff (like the astrolite and car-radio on the beach house) and i could have gotten rid of one of them. Unfortunately, bloodbuff is the *only* discipline with dexterity raising powers, so it's the only discipline that helps with lockpicking. It requires some investment if you're not willing to wait until very late game for the +stat items.

CQM animalism 5 'free the beast within' is a incredible unarmed combat bonus (it gives the frenzy stats). Combined with fortitude (or if you're feeling merciless, celerity or protean or potence) it's unbeatable.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:26:03 PM by SCO »

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
SCO, all those discipline changes you mention are not inherently cqm. They are part of CE lite.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline SCO

• Ancillus
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »
Makes sense, i always install it because of the bloodloss timer.

* Game Files