collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Favorite quests, subplots, or defining game moments  (Read 1394 times)

Offline cyberfloof

• Crazy cat lady extraordinaire
  • Fledgling
Favorite quests, subplots, or defining game moments
« on: December 21, 2020, 01:38:36 am »
I more or less finished the game yesterday, YAAAAY. Toreador + Anarch path if anyone is wondering, Celerity-centric build with a priority on melee. (Which did not serve me well in the endgame, sigh.)

So, uh. I have thoughts. There were a lot of amazing moments, a lot of tiresome ones, a lot of really cool stuff and a lot of filler, and I can see why this game is a cult classic.

My favorite, though...

The "Dead Ex" and "Snuff is Enough" quests with Isaac. Lemme elaborate.

So my character Rhiannon Klegg is, duh, high Humanity. I'm playing her as "sketchy as hell, but pretty okay for a vampire". I don't like creeps IRL, and neither do my RPG characters.

Head off to Hollywood, "Okay this Isaac Abrams guy is an Anarch, should be cool if he's one of Nines' people."

Talk to him, immediately take a disliking to him. And then he asks for the favor, and it's a film that's clearly illegal and bad, and I'm like "WHOAH nope."

At this point Rhiannon's reaction is mostly my own; I know we have to kiss up to this shmuck for the supposedly greater good, but we're not happy about it, so I have her be as snarky and nasty to him as possible just to show him what she thinks. He doesn't seem to care. Rhiannon goes and Does The Thing for him. Comes back, gives him the tape, all "You happy now, perv?"

And then he has her watch the tape (and I have to look away during the final part). And he's basically like, "Understand now? This is bad shit and we have to find where it comes from and put a stop to it."

And I, and my character, are like: "Oh. OH. We're actually on the same page? You want to clean this place up a bit? Okay we're cool, forget all that snarky stuff, let's crush these bastards."

I've never had my feelings about a video game character do a 180 quite like that before. Like there's a lot that put me off in VTMB, and I'm kind of okay with that it's a product of its time and it couldn't be made now, but this? This was gold. In a game world where backstabbers and dirty politics are endemic, the moments of camaraderie really stand out.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
Re: Favorite quests, subplots, or defining game moments
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 10:22:16 am »
The sarcophagus is a lie! :P
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Malkav

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 03:20:35 pm »
The sarcophagus is a lie! :P
Yea, and poor old Messerach has to spend the rest of eternity sitting on a deckchair and listen to Jacks sermons....

At least the game ends with nice fireworks.
Co Author of Camarilla Edition Mod

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 03:41:42 am »

Welcome to the forums cyberfloof  :smile:  !

I've never had my feelings about a video game character do a 180 quite like that before. Like there's a lot that put me off in VTMB, and I'm kind of okay with that it's a product of its time and it couldn't be made now, but this? This was gold. In a game world where backstabbers and dirty politics are endemic, the moments of camaraderie really stand out.

Isaac was deffinitely a memorable bit and quite an interesting insight into the politics of Hollywood. I would be more excited about a possible appearence or connection his brand of anarch would bring to Bloodlines 2 if it wasn't for the Mitsoda fiasco.

Offline fylimar

• Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 08:13:53 am »
My best moments were after fighting through the sewers, meeting the Nosferatu. Back in the days, when there wasn't a shortcut, the sewers were the most tedious map.
But the first character, I've met afterwards, was Mitnick and he is such a sweetie. He is still one of my favorite characters.
Then the meeting with Gary, my maybe favorite character in the whole game. I played a Tremere on my first playthrough, so no special dialigue with him. But then I played a Malkavian and Gary convinced me, he was another voice in my head. Never had so much fun.
So yeah, everything with the Nosferatu, especially Mitnick and Gary, was great.

I also enjoyed meeting Andrei, he was such an interesting character. It's nice, that with the Clan Quest Mod you can actually join the Sabbat.

I liked Ocean House and the Malkavian mansion for their atmosphere and Becketts quest to find his associate. Beckett is another favorite of mine.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline Compassion

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:30:26 pm »
Uh, I am very sorry. I have bought and played this game when it came out, in 2004, and I have no clue whatsoever what, for example, my first impressions of Isaac has been.

I do remember however how I disliked the final battle with a certain asian entitiy so much that on my second playthrough I joined her side, just to not having to fight her again. I was NOT happy with the final result, lolz !!!

And I'm also pretty sure the first time around I opened "it". Also an error I would never repeat again either, haha !

Another HUGE moment for me was when I recently found out by sheer chance that you can learn a fourth discipline in the late game. Thats probably new with the Plus Patch ? Anyway, it rocks HARD. Makes the game much easier on the weaker clans (that means mostly Nosferatu and Malkavian).

Things I enjoy a lot nowadays:

- Saving Heather, and the whole interaction with her during the course of the game. I'm always maximum nice to her, as much as the game allows me to. I'm so happy you can keep her with the plus patch now.

- Making peace between Jeanette and Therese, and the whole interaction with them before that point, especially if you have a character with high seduction. I recently watched a couple playthroughs of VtMB on YouTube and to my surprise EVERONE missed this possibility. Only one of them managed it, and even he only did because he was playing life (I think on Twitch) with apparently a quite big audience, and people told him how to do it.

- I also love to speak with VV, especially if you manage to make her say "now you're just saying what I want you to say".

- Talking to Hannah as a Malkavian. Using Demention to make her believe she is talking to her lover one last time is such a very, very touching moment.

- Playing Malkavians in general of course. Their dialogues are often so hilarious. Nosferatu have also some special fun moments, though far less than Malkavians.

- Talking to Knox on a character with high Inspection. Malks always qualify for this one, I think. You can catch him trying to manipulate you. Especially the reaction of Betram later is hilarious, haha.

- I'm not sure how high your Inspection has to be exactly, but talking to the archaeologist after you killed Bach and finding out about how he found out about the sarcophagus was also very interesting. I think my Malks always managed that, none of my other characters ever did, though.

- Finally beating Romeos quest on a Nosferatu. Its so damn hard, and on a Nosferatu you cannot get a prostitute for him instead either, which otherwise I do on all characters that dont get Celerity, because frankly f* it, without Celerity its just a PITA.

- Talking to Isaac with a charater that has Appearance 5 and asking him if I could be an actor. His answer is pretty funny, especially if you know his regular answer. By the way, Subterfuge has no influence whatsoever on the answer, and any Appearance lower than 5 will always get the same answer.

- Talking to Garry with a Toreador or Ventrue. He just gets so damn nasty, lol. It was especially fun on my Ventrue with Appearance 1 and Subterfuge 0 - Gary still talked about my character being so damn pretty and shallow, and the things he would love to do to him, lol. He then also totally doesnt want to answer the question if he misses his old good looks, lolz.

- For the record I was very disappointed when I spoke to Gary on a Nosferatu. Yes, sure, he's a bit nicer, and theres some nice different dialogue, but really not that much. And the other Nosferatu still hide from you. I figured one would see a lot more of them on a Nos ! But at least the new haven you get rocks hard. Better than even the Tremere haven ! Not pretty of course, but it has lots of space and is VERY close to the global map.

- Hunting for blood when you dont have the seduction skill necessary to just talk to blood dolls. Its so easy to get caught, so its always exciting. So often I had to replay quite a bit of what I did before because I didnt save ! Gets much easier in Hollywood though, near Isaacs room there usually is a redhead and nobody else is close. And in Chinatown of course you quickly get a whorehouse with four prostitutes in it that you can suck blood from at zero risk and they are always full again when you come back.

- Talking to Nadia Milliner with a male character with Seduction 8 or higher. Very funny, she totally starts to stutter around. Admittedly also a reloadfest, because I failed this conversation so often. Its not so clear what she wants you to say.

- Talking to Mira Giovanni with a female character of Seduction 8 and complimenting her about her name (seduction option). She gets VERY nasty lolz. Clearly doesnt like lesbians. You have to apologize to her and claim it was a misunderstanding.

- I like both dialogues with the final bosses. When you tell that lady you're not her pawn and making your own fate. And when you effortless resist the final guys attempt to dominate you. Though its poorly explained why he can always dominate you before this point and now suddenly utterly fails. But, in both instances, VERY satisfying !

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 01:21:28 am »
I should really do a Malk playthrough soon, I have forgot most of the funniest moments  :tongue:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal