collapse

Author Topic: Can't finish: A Plague for the Angels  (Read 188 times)

Offline aleque

• Fledgling
Can't finish: A Plague for the Angels
« on: May 15, 2019, 10:49:43 PM »
Hi

I just started playing this game for the first time and I like it. But I'm really stuck for the first time and it's driving me nuts whether it's a bug or I just missed something. I tried googling but to no avail.

Quest: A Plague for the Angels <-- it says "The regent has asked you to find the cause of the LA epidemic and put an end to it. He has suggested you speak to the anarchs at the Last Round to get more information", but I could not progress from here even though I talked with everyone inside the bar. And I even searched for talkative NPCs near the bar.

I did install the unofficial patch before starting a new game but I think I made the mistake of running the default exe file / shortcut, so I guess I'm running on the official 1.2 version. Not sure if this could be the culprit.

I attached my save game. Can someone please tell me if I can progress with this mission or if I should just forget it?

Thanks

Offline Nanaloma

• Antediluvian
Re: Can't finish: A Plague for the Angels
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:01:15 PM »
Did you speak with Damsel?  She should have suggested talking to the homeless population and to track down a ghoul they lost contact with who lives in the Skyline Apartments.  1.2 only works - just a lot of frustrating bugs but one can usually make it through the game with patience.  This seems to me to be something else.  I think you can get basically the same task concurrently with Strauss (Tremere Reagent) but I'm not sure if it progresses the game alone.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:09:57 PM by Nanaloma »

Offline Wolfheart

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:08:57 PM »
Heya Aleque

If your playthrough is with the default vampire.exe then it won't load UP as that would require a shortcut with "-game Unofficial_Patch" added to it, so I would assume your save is uncorrupted as long as you haven't switched to UP and then overwritten it, weird that the quest doesn't function for you.

The NPC to talk with in Last Round is Damsel on the upper level near Nines, unfortunately not much else I can assist with I think and since you've already spoken with everyone in there I'm unsure where the problem exactly is coming from.

Offline aleque

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
Thanks for replying. I tried progressing further in the main quest but it's the same thing with Damsel. When I choose "I have more questions", there is only "Nothing for now. Excuse me."

But I still have the quest. I attached a new save file where I positioned myself in front of her, incase anyone would be kind enough to check it.

So, there is no way to do a little "console cheat" to sort this thing out?

EDIT: According to this: http://www.gamebanshee.com/vampirebloodlines/walkthrough/aplaguefortheangels.php ...it says "but if you pick the right dialogue options, she'll eventually apologize". Could it be it? That I pissed her off and the quest becomes unavailable but still in my Journal?

My theory is this: I installed the game via Steam and patched it with VTMBup10final. I started a new game (with unofficial patch). I talked to Damsel. After that I decided to try and run the game without starting Steam every time. So I made a custom shortcut to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines\Vampire.exe hence losing the "-game Unofficial_Patch" parameter. And somehow the game still works but is buggy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:37:38 PM by aleque »

Online Happydeathclaw

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
Quest activates normally, but why she's on Skelter's place? It's like the game launched with wrong icon whis is original 1.2, not UP.

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
UP plus moves the anarchs around the bar according to the original positions on beat version screenshots

Which version did you choose in the installer?

In any case, using the default or the UP links won't affect the saves since the installer is prepackaged with the mod loader. Each version uses it's own directory, so the save files are stored in their respective directories. You can also install big mods like clan quest and the final nights (the mod loader ready versions), none won't influence the others (unless obviously you move stuff manually in windows).

Another possibility is you forgot to set steam to not reinstall files it detects being not original.
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me (on changing my mind on deleting cheeks for a mod)

Offline aleque

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 03:49:44 PM »
Quest activates normally, but why she's on Skelter's place? It's like the game launched with wrong icon whis is original 1.2, not UP.

Did you get the next step of the quest using my save-game file?

Offline aleque

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
Another possibility is you forgot to set steam to not reinstall files it detects being not original.

Not sure how to do that.

Online Happydeathclaw

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 05:13:27 PM »

Did you get the next step of the quest using my save-game file?

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »

Not sure how to do that.

During the installation there's at one point the option to choose between the basic install (only bugfixes and some small but necessary game changes) and Plus (the bugfixes and several restored and recreated elements).

If you still don't know (don't worry), in the main menù open the options, select the last tab (gameplay I think). Here is shown the patch version and, if I remember correctly, also the label Basic or Plus.
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me (on changing my mind on deleting cheeks for a mod)

Online Happydeathclaw

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »
That. Is. Why. I. Hate. Steam. Prefer GOG version in this particular case.

Offline aleque

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 05:34:07 PM »
I tried loading my savegame using the Unofficial Patch 10 and now Damsel does have the Pestilence quest for me... BUT there are some minor weird things in my journal. Like some quests (that I already completed before) are listed as pending/uncompleted.

Also it's weird that the same save game works in Vanilla 1.2 and UP10.

Something tells that it would be a bad idea to continue playing using the UP, despite the fact that it gives me the Pestilence quest (and subsequent quests).

The facts that some of the quests that I already finished (in Vanilla) are listed as incomplete (in UP) makes me think that it's going to screw something up later. But I am not sure.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Regarding Plus VS Basic of UP. I am not sure but it says "Unofficial Patch 10.0" under Gameplay

Offline aleque

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »
Damn, what an annoying bug. Looks like I gotta stick to the official 1.2 version to avoid any future screw-ups. But if anyone knows if I can fix the conversation with Damsel to get the "Fun With Pestilence" quest, please let me know.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
Damn, what an annoying bug. Looks like I gotta stick to the official 1.2 version to avoid any future screw-ups. But if anyone knows if I can fix the conversation with Damsel to get the "Fun With Pestilence" quest, please let me know.

Try "G.Damsel_Plague = 3", but good luck to not get other issues with 1.2...

Offline aleque

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »

Try "G.Damsel_Plague = 3", but good luck to not get other issues with 1.2...

Awesome, thank you! I got the Pestilence quest.

What exactly did that command do? Besides giving me the option to say: "I've decided to go after the plaguebearer. How do I find him" (which might indicate that I already talked to her about that quest before)

And what is the worst that can happen now?

And if you think that this command might screw up something throughout my game, maybe I could run that command and do the Pestilence quest later - before the very last step of the main quest of the game. Although, I am not sure when the ideal time for it might be. It's my first time playing VTMB.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:11:26 PM by aleque »