collapse

Author Topic: Andrei's final speech  (Read 7291 times)

Offline [archive] AriannaLewellyn

• Ancillus
Re: Andrei's final speech
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #27

s4nct1m0ny posted:

In Reply To #25
     The Prince is likely the Ventrue Primogen....</quote>

Just a side note, when I played as a male Malkavian, my female Ventrue PC was there, so I assume she was supposed to be the Ventrue primogen in that case.

[added Feb 15 2007  9:49AM]

In Reply To #30
     <quote by="arathalion">
     skyra: it was jack that "just arrived in town" and had "shown the courtesy to announce his presence". if i remember correctly lacriox was a little surprised when you mention bekett being in town, and then says something to the effect that he had herd he was around the area....
     or perhaps it was the other way around, and he said that he had herd jack was around town... though i think that jack had actually presented himself... and lacriox was saying that he had the courtesy to do it in a rather distasteful manner.  

Okay, a search of LaCroix's dialogue files (all 274 of them; don't applaud, just throw money) turned this up:

line441 col e:  "You've met Beckett?  Yes, he did pay me the courtesy of announcing his presence in my city.  He's lionized in Kindred society...by most.  Beckett's the definition of 'renouned scholar', but he's also a lone wolf, and owes allegiance only to his intellectual pursuits."

line451 col e:  "Jack!  Hmmm...the man is a scourge, the physical manifestation of chaos.  Whenever he makes an appearance in one's city, it's only a matter of time before a calamity is attributed to his latest lark."

Those are the only references I could find in regards to Beckett's arrival, and indeed the ONLY thing LaCroix ever says about Jack.

It's possible that some of us are remembering someone else saying something about Jack recently arriving in town, but I really don't want to search all the dialogue files for every character.  If someone can come up with a specific character, I'm happy to search those dialogue files.

Offline [archive] Skyra_to_Hollow

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 As far as the official storyline goes, I have to agree with Slayden on all counts.  In fact, I was contemplating a new trivia episode about "which Bloodlines character was killed in his own flower garden, and by whom?"  However, it's now obvious that at least one person knows the answer right off the bat.  IMO, Jack was portrayed far better than Beckett.  Beckett was nowhere near as fucking poetic as he appears in Bloodlines.  He's a Gangrel archeologist, FFS, not a debate team MVP.  Prince LaCroix served a decent purpose in the storyline, but I think Tanya might have been a better pick, and she dies in the official Gehenna story anyways.                        

-----signature-----
               Regards,
     Skyra to Hollow
     Site Director, www.PlanetVampire.com

• Ancillus
    « Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 I don't know anything about the official storyline, as Bloodlines is pretty much the only experience I have with Vampire the Masquerade.  So any information I post is strictly in reference to the game.                        

Offline [archive] Slaydin

• Methuselah
    « Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #32

You can go ahead and post that trivia question if you want. I never go to the trivia threads. I'm so wrapped up in three different stories that I barely have time to sneak out and visit other boards, let alone individual threads.                        

Offline [archive] Dante_Malice

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 In Reply To #32

Skyra to Hollow posted:

However, it's now obvious that at least one person knows the answer right off the bat.

At least two.                        

-----signature-----
               Alive and well in this livin' hell...

Offline [archive] s4nct1m0ny

• Neonate
    « Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 Ah, thanks for clearing up facts for me.

IRT current discussion
     It is damn near impossible - IMPOSSIBLE - to integrate PnP settings perfectly into a 3D game, let alone a 3D game where combat is MANUAL FFS!

I'm not at all into PnP, but I know vaguely enough about it to know that it is not possible to make a perfect PnP adaptation. And because of that, I don't want Bloodlines as a PnP adaptation.

Which is WHY developers should create their OWN ruleset for their RPG. Besides, quite often, when devs are trying to make a PnP adaptation, alot of awkwardness ends up like useless abilities. For example, in NWN and NWN2, Parry is completely useless.

I recall Arathlion saying that Celerity only gives multiple attacks per round in PnP. That's sort of like the ability known as Master Speed in the KotOR games. KotOR has the automatic turn-based dice-using combat, so it's closer to the Star Wars d20 rules.

If Bloodlines was intended as a PnP adaptation, this is how the devs would have had to make the game:
     - make the game isometric
     - make the combat automatic
     - the combat must be in the form of rounds where dice are rolled for 'to hits' and 'damage'

That would have been so different from the FPS style nature of the game. If they wanted to make it as a first-person game, then why did they also try to adapt PnP rules? It creates a helluva mess of a combat system.

[added Feb 15 2007 11:52PM]

PnPers can vouch for this argument, right?                        

Offline [archive] arathalion_5

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 05:14:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 katran: no, we are just incorrect. i specifically remember lacriox saying these things. and it might have been me that originally gave you the idea, so more the the point, i was wrong.

skyra: yeah, go ahead... i wouldn't actually know emediantly, though it does ring a bell... i think i might go check in a minute.

s4nct1m0ny: no, i said multipul turns per turn, not attacks.
     celerity is nothing like flurry of blows. basically, you get really fast, what happens in the rules is that you get 2 separate turns. one in your initiative order, then another at the end... per dot. so five dots = five extra turns.

you could discuss its use with your storyteller and see if you could allow some things that are not covered in the rules. oh, and some addvanced disciplines might produce the effect you where after, however you need to be 7th gen or lower.                        

-----signature-----
               im going back to my fence

Offline [archive] shoshino

• Fledgling
    « Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
  • Best Answer
  •                 Jack would have definitely mentioned it at one point or another.

why? maybe Jack did know your sire. he knew enough to get to the sarcophagus first, he obviously knew that lacroix knew it was coming to LA and so he laid a trap to kill him... but why? did lacroix hit a chord with jack when he killed your sire?  why is jack unwaveringly looking out for the PC all the time? does he feel responsible for his dead friends childe?

it is also worth noteing that beckett has come to town because his contacts have reported something in the air - does that have anything to do with you?                        

• Ancillus
    Andrei's final speech
    « Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
                    In Reply To #37

arathalion posted:

katran: no, we are just incorrect. i specifically remember lacriox saying these things. and it might have been me that originally gave you the idea, so more the the point, i was wrong.</quote>

That's alright.  I've played 3 times and I still remember things wrong at times.  In fact, as I listened to all of LaCroix's dialogue files, I found some that I don't recall ever hearing in the game.  I don't know if I just haven't picked the right combination of responses, or if those dialogue pieces were dropped from the actual game but left in the files.

In Reply To #38
     <quote by="shoshino">...obviously knew that lacroix knew it was coming to LA and so he laid a trap to kill him...

I think it's just as likely that he assumed that LaCroix would get a hold of it, since he is the prince of L.A.  I think it's also just as likely that Jack thought the Kuei-Jin would get to it first, and the explosives were his plot to destroy them.  LaCroix's death might have been just a nice alteration to his plan.

But, again, I'm coming from the position of someone who knows nothing about Jack's background other than what's in Bloodlines.  But I would think that if Jack and your sire were buddy-buddy, he would have mentioned that at some point.