collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Aftermath & Canon of VTMB  (Read 593 times)

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
Aftermath & Canon of VTMB
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »
Having finished the game numerous times with and without mods, experimenting with different clans, builds/histories, endings I've started wondering what happened to Los Angeles after the credits rolled. What became of the factions (Camarilla, Anarchs, Kuei Jin etc.) and the characters that remained - have they changed sides, fallen apart, left the city? :chinscratch:
From my viewpoint, the Camarilla ending is maybe the most "appropriate" (it can be counted into the "good" ending category) in a world with grey and black morality. The game itself gives complete freedom when it comes to the actual endings thereby allowing the player to shape the city's fate, but I think that this opens another question:
Are the events of Bloodlines canon? (I read some mixed views on the web and heard that the new Beckett's Jyhad Diary will "touch" some events from the game) and if they are, to what degree?

If I look at the situation from the Camarilla perspective, I can conclude/contemplate the following:
1. The Anarchs fell either apart or declared war on the Camarilla immediately, but the latter seems improbable by far given the information that they lost a good number of their followers in the war with the Kuei Jin. Plus, Nines is beaten up quite a bit, but he's tough as nails...
2. Kuei Jin are in complete disarray fighting among themselves.
3. Did all of the Sabbat scamper away from the city as it was expected according to the Prince's words?
4. What became of the unfortunate Ash Rivers?
5. Did Velvet turn autarkis? (if anarchs fell into chaos scenario)
6. Are there any hunters left and out for blood? (Maybe their role is bigger than the one seen in the game?)
7. Has Romero been eaten by the zombies? :rofl: (This scenario always intrigued me  :chinscratch:)
These are but a few questions that are possible if you look at the city from the Camarilla perspective. Even it has internal problems: with the prince in the barbecue pit, how will the consolidation of power go under the (presumably) Tremere presence? How will they deal with the remaining Ventrue that also aim for it?
This elusive topic is subject to personal interpretation and "what ifs" or "maybes" I know, but I think that it can grow into an interesting discussion.  :chinscratch:

The meaning of elegance is not to be noticed, it is to be remembered.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Aftermath & Canon of VTMB
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »
Are the events of Bloodlines canon? (I read some mixed views on the web and heard that the new Beckett's Jyhad Diary will "touch" some events from the game) and if they are, to what degree?

As far as remember LA stays Camarilla territory in the Gehenna book, but LaCroix is replaced by a more moderate female Camarilla Prince.

1. The Anarchs fell either apart or declared war on the Camarilla immediately, but the latter seems improbable by far given the information that they lost a good number of their followers in the war with the Kuei Jin. Plus, Nines is beaten up quite a bit, but he's tough as nails...

Why should they attack the Camarilla or even fall apart? They succeeded in getting the Kuei Jin and LaCroix out of the city which is what they wanted! They already worked together with the latter so they would probably do the same with a more moderate Camarilla prince.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »

As far as remember LA stays Camarilla territory in the Gehenna book, but LaCroix is replaced by a more moderate female Camarilla Prince.

Why should they attack the Camarilla or even fall apart? They succeeded in getting the Kuei Jin and LaCroix out of the city which is what they wanted! They already worked together with the latter so they would probably do the same with a more moderate Camarilla prince.
I thought that their ultimate goal is to create the Anarch Free State that requires the banishing of Camarilla out of the city, not working with it. When I say that they could attack it, I presumed that they would use the temporary instability within the Cam's ranks since the Tremere would need time to strengthen their power over the city. That would practically end the Cam's rule or at least curtail it a bit. I admit that falling apart is an improbable option.

Offline IanW

• Ancillus
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
Beckett's Jyhad Diary will feature a chapter where Beckett returns to LA. He's there for specific reasons so it doesn't give a full reckoning of what's happened in the interim, but it provides a small window into what's transpired.

The relevant chapter, Chapter 7: The Anarch Freefall, is one of the samples previewed at that link above.
Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
Lead Developer: Trinity Continuum

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 09:09:40 AM »
From that sample, I see that the Anarchs actually won (or it could be interpreted as a victory), though the Camarilla still has some influence in LA left and refuses to let go. I was doing a little research on the subject and I found that the new prince after LaCroix was Tara (former Anarch Baron of San Diego), but reigned shortly. She was gunned down by Jenna Cross (that was sired by Jack), the leader of the Thin-Blood Movement.

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Methuselah
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »
As the second goal of this topic, I intended to ask the following: which characters of VTMB have an actual biography outside the game, some kind of book/novel coverage or at least being mentioned in one of them (like VV, Isaac, Therese/Jeanette, Bertram etc). I always wanted to know more about them (their background to be precise) but found nothing. Are those characters created for the sake of the game?
Anyone?

Offline IanW

• Ancillus
  • Onyx Path Community Manager
    • Onyx Path Publishing
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
As the second goal of this topic, I intended to ask the following: which characters of VTMB have an actual biography outside the game, some kind of book/novel coverage or at least being mentioned in one of them (like VV, Isaac, Therese/Jeanette, Bertram etc). I always wanted to know more about them (their background to be precise) but found nothing. Are those characters created for the sake of the game?
Anyone?

Smiling Jack and Beckett were the only characters from the tabletop material to appear in Bloodlines. The rest were original.

After Bloodlines, I think LaCroix's name gets dropped in one of the novels, but otherwise that's all.
Ian A. A. Watson
Onyx Path Community Manager
Lead Developer: Trinity Continuum

Offline Nanaloma

• Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 01:53:57 AM »
Not true; a Brujha Primigine of LA named "Nines" is mentioned.   Jack speaks of the box thing and the Prince in LA as a total hoax and claims to have met Caine.   There were a few other short mentions but I can't remember them exactly.

* Game Files