Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York / Third Vampire Game!!!  (Read 3698 times)

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York / Third Vampire Game!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2019, 09:47:38 AM »
Okay, at least now I know for sure that's all the gameplay it's going to be. I play visual novels and point & click adventures, so it's not like this kills the game for me, but I felt like things were really too vague before. Since they showed just dialogue in the gameplay trailer, I feel it's safe to say it will play like a regular visual novel. It might still be cool, if they play their cards right, although I'll wait for the reviews to come in (and the price to go down), before taking a closer look.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2019, 10:34:57 PM »
Okay, at least now I know for sure that's all the gameplay it's going to be. I play visual novels and point & click adventures, so it's not like this kills the game for me, but I felt like things were really too vague before. Since they showed just dialogue in the gameplay trailer, I feel it's safe to say it will play like a regular visual novel. It might still be cool, if they play their cards right, although I'll wait for the reviews to come in (and the price to go down), before taking a closer look.

Hopefully there will be a fair number of meaningful choices and significant branches/impact on the story and/or character interactions based on your starting clan.

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »
Hopefully there will be a fair number of meaningful choices and significant branches/impact on the story and/or character interactions based on your starting clan.

I mean, if they don't have that, they might as well not make the game. The only interactions in VNs are choices, after all.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2019, 12:03:24 PM »
I mean, if they don't have that, they might as well not make the game. The only interactions in VNs are choices, after all.

I think so as well. You have a game built on choice then you better well deliver some interesting outcomes.

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2019, 08:15:31 PM »
So, the game is out now. Did anyone buy it? If so, would they be willing to share what they think of it?

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2019, 06:21:49 AM »
So, the game is out now. Did anyone buy it? If so, would they be willing to share what they think of it?

Ditto. Share as thou may with all of us !

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2019, 10:04:10 AM »
Reviews don't seem too encouraging. Sounds like the game often doesn't acknowledge your character sex (the characters are only pre-made, btw, 3 clans, 2 males, 1 female), clan (going as far as to allow you to use disciplines you shouldn't have access to) or even choices (seems like there is only one ending, and the game has a tendency to railroad you).

Not even the moment to moment text seems to be particularly reactive to your actions, with players reporting being berated for being uncooperative, even when they did everything they were asked to do. The game also clocks at a very low amount of hours (I have seen claims between 4-8 hours, but most seem to say it's between 4-6).

It seems like the atmosphere is well-done, at least, but I'll be skipping this one. Some are even excusing that the game is fairly linear, when visual novels are all about choices and branching paths, so it sounds like the positive reviews are being overly generous, IMO.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2019, 08:31:18 PM »

Ditto. Share as thou may with all of us !

I bought it but haven't played it yet. I was all "VtM?! Shut up and take my money!"

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2020, 10:27:35 AM »
I bought it but haven't played it yet. I was all "VtM?! Shut up and take my money!"

Ha-ha-ha-ha! That's certainly a thought crossing my mind often, recently. Hard not to be excited when a new bloodlines game is arriving. Did you get to try the this one, eventually?

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2020, 08:58:20 AM »
Currently I'm not that invested. The playable clans (Brujah, Torri and Ventrue) are not to my taste and then you have pre-made characters. For me, that is only acceptable in a game, if the character is called Geralt of Rivia or Sherlock Holmes. Well, generally pre-made characters are ok in adventures, but not in a role playing game. I like to be able to build my character. I probably will play the game at some point, but it's not a priority.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »
Currently I'm not that invested. The playable clans (Brujah, Torri and Ventrue) are not to my taste and then you have pre-made characters. For me, that is only acceptable in a game, if the character is called Geralt of Rivia or Sherlock Holmes. Well, generally pre-made characters are ok in adventures, but not in a role playing game. I like to be able to build my character. I probably will play the game at some point, but it's not a priority.

I don't know. I think there are several ways to make an RPG and one of them is by offering players a "pre-made character" (relatively speaking because you can customize the living hell of it). I mean, The Witcher is one of the best CRPG franchises ever made. The Witcher 3 is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Now I fully understand the issue of preference and taste, to which everyone is entitled to. However, it's important to keep an open mind about the obvious advantages of having "pre-made characters" in CRPG's: you have a voiced character that feels closer to a living individual, you can offer more dialogue options that will sound organic, characters can react with specificity towards you (Like Yennefer, Triss or Dandelion do when interacting with Geralt).

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
Well, I think, they did it well with Hawke in Dragon Age 2. Kind of pre-made, but customizable.
I don't say, that rpgs with pre-made characters are bad, but I prefer to make my own character.
My main issue with the are the playable clans though. Not really my cup of tea.
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

― Doctor Who

Offline Nanaloma

• Antediluvian
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2020, 06:31:38 AM »

Most of the role playing games I've played such as Gothic/Risen, Two Worlds, Vampyr, etc have pre-made characters.  I wish that weren't so but the game business is cut-throat and in a lot of ways, similar to Hollywood movies where a budget film is lauded and sequels made because it made a nice profit and excellent movies are dust-binned because sales couldn't justify their huge budget. 

Offline fylimar

• Methuselah
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2020, 05:42:06 PM »

Most of the role playing games I've played such as Gothic/Risen, Two Worlds, Vampyr, etc have pre-made characters.  I wish that weren't so but the game business is cut-throat and in a lot of ways, similar to Hollywood movies where a budget film is lauded and sequels made because it made a nice profit and excellent movies are dust-binned because sales couldn't justify their huge budget.

Luckily there are enough games out there, where I can make a protagonist. But you are right, all the sequels and prequels are quite telling. I just read, that they plan to make a reboot of one of my favorite shows, Firefly. Not something, I'm keen on.

― Doctor Who

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2020, 06:01:44 PM »
I just read, that they plan to make a reboot of one of my favorite shows, Firefly. Not something, I'm keen on.

Oh lord... do you still have the link ? I don't find these to be good news either.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal