Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York / Third Vampire Game!!!  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
Oh and totally unrelated, but because there are so many Baldurs Gate fans here:BG 3 is coming (2 had vampires in it, so not totally off topic ;))

Totally my next project by the way. I've never played Baldur's Gate before... didn't know it had vampires as well !

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
Oh and totally unrelated, but because there are so many Baldurs Gate fans here:BG 3 is coming (2 had vampires in it, so not totally off topic ;))

Totally my next project by the way. I've never played Baldur's Gate before... didn't know it had vampires as well !

You are in for an EPIC treat.  Especially with Baldur's Gate II.  But there are mods that can make part 1 a truly fantastic and lively experience as well.

Some links you will need:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/

https://www.gibberlings3.net/

http://www.shsforums.net/

If you get the old versions, I recommend you use Baldur's Gate TuTu.  TuTu will not be needed if you use the enhanced editions. 

And yes, vampires play a large role in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.  Most definitely. 

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:17:23 am by DarkZephyr »

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
What about the Enhanced Editions ?

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian

You are in for an EPIC treat.  Especially with Baldur's Gate II.  But there are mods that can make part 1 a truly fantastic and lively experience as well.

Some links you will need:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/

https://www.gibberlings3.net/

http://www.shsforums.net/

If you get the old versions, I recommend you use Baldur's Gate TuTu.  TuTu will not be needed if you use the enhanced editions. 

And yes, vampires play a large role in Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.  Most definitely. 

I loaded up the first BG one time a few years ago, cringed at its appearance, then closed it. For a game to be THAT fugly, it had better blow my mind with its setting, like PlaneScape: Torment. BG is set in Faerun...and Faerun is some meh fantasy stuff for me, though I do like vampires and Illithid (mindflayers). However...vampires in D&D 3.0 and older (which is what BG is) don't interest me. I love vampires so long as there is a conflict of morality for the vampire. Otherwise, they're just mildly entertaining. It's why VtM is the greatest vampire lore in my opinion. It's all about dealing with your morality as a powerful creature capable of AND encouraged to do horrible things.

In D&D it just seems like "Rawr, gonna kill ya." That's fun in The Lost Boys because it's like 90 minutes of blissful action, '80s comedy, and gore. However, pure evil douchebags without likable/relatable ones really bore me, so I don't think I'd be able to sit through D&D vampires.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian

Yes, vampires still play a role in the Enhanced Editions and you can still use most of the mods as most of then have been updated for the Enhanced Editions.  You won't need TuTu if you use the Enhanced Editions though. 

I loaded up the first BG one time a few years ago, cringed at its appearance, then closed it. For a game to be THAT fugly, it had better blow my mind with its setting, like PlaneScape: Torment. BG is set in Faerun...and Faerun is some meh fantasy stuff for me, though I do like vampires and Illithid (mindflayers). However...vampires in D&D 3.0 and older (which is what BG is) don't interest me. I love vampires so long as there is a conflict of morality for the vampire. Otherwise, they're just mildly entertaining. It's why VtM is the greatest vampire lore in my opinion. It's all about dealing with your morality as a powerful creature capable of AND encouraged to do horrible things.

In D&D it just seems like "Rawr, gonna kill ya." That's fun in The Lost Boys because it's like 90 minutes of blissful action, '80s comedy, and gore. However, pure evil douchebags without likable/relatable ones really bore me, so I don't think I'd be able to sit through D&D vampires.

I wouldn't call it "fugly", I would call it old and a product of its time.  And the look could have been updated using the Baldur's Gate TuTu mod which causes Baldur's Gate 1 to use the updated engine of Baldur's Gate II.  I will confess that I played Baldur's Gate II first and it was my love of that game that made me snatch part 1 the very first moment I could.  And yes, I was super disappointed in how it looked compared to its sequel, but on a hunch I googled for a mod that would change that and low and behold I found it in Baldur's Gate TuTu.  After that I was able to quite enjoy part 1.  But if he plays the Enhanced Editions, it won't be necessary because things in that respect are enhanced right out of the box without the use of mods and it comes with additional story elements and companion NPCs.  And if Highway didn't have a problem with the 2D isometric graphics of Arcanum, he certainly won't have a problem with them in relation to the Baldur's Gate series. Some people don't need wonderful graphics to enjoy an RPG, they just need really good story and choice.  The Baldur's Gate series offers this which can be further enhanced with absolutely wonderful mods.   And for me, D&D 3.0 remains my favorite.  I am disgusted with what happened to the setting with 4.0.  I hope 5.0 is an improvement as I have not been back to the setting since before the preposterous "Spellplague" unless you count the times I have replayed older games like BG 1 and 2 and NWN 1 and 2.

At any rate, the vampires of BGII aren't just the "rawr!!!" kind.  The picture I posted is of the Vampiress Bodhi.  She is much more than a growling monster.   
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:53:58 am by DarkZephyr »

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian

Yes, vampires still play a role in the Enhanced Editions and you can still use most of the mods as most of then have been updated for the Enhanced Editions.  You won't need TuTu if you use the Enhanced Editions though. 

I wouldn't call it "fugly", I would call it old and a product of its time.  And the look could have been updated using the Baldur's Gate TuTu mod which causes Baldur's Gate 1 to use the updated engine of Baldur's Gate II.  I will confess that I played Baldur's Gate II first and it was my love of that game that made me snatch part 1 the very first moment I could.  And yes, I was super disappointed in how it looked compared to its sequel, but on a hunch I googled for a mod that would change that and low and behold I found it in Baldur's Gate TuTu.  After that I was able to quite enjoy part 1.  But if he plays the Enhanced Editions, it won't be necessary because things in that respect are enhanced right out of the box without the use of mods and it comes with additional story elements and companion NPCs.  And if Highway didn't have a problem with the 2D isometric graphics of Arcanum, he certainly won't have a problem with them in relation to the Baldur's Gate series. Some people don't need wonderful graphics to enjoy an RPG, they just need really good story and choice.  The Baldur's Gate series offers this which can be further enhanced with absolutely wonderful mods.   And for me, D&D 3.0 remains my favorite.  I am disgusted with what happened to the setting with 4.0.  I hope 5.0 is an improvement as I have not been back to the setting since before the preposterous "Spellplague" unless you count the times I have replayed older games like BG 1 and 2 and NWN 1 and 2.

At any rate, the vampires of BGII aren't just the "rawr!!!" kind.  The picture I posted is of the Vampiress Bodhi.  She is much more than a growling monster.   

If I ever play it, I'll hafta look into mods.

I do like Bodhi's body (huehuehue~), but I don't think I can get into D&D. The only fantasy stuff I ever really liked was King's Quest and LotR, and the former was just because I was a kid and liked tons of stuff. Had I found it now, I probably wouldn't pay it any heed. Fantasy is so hard for me to relate to because the characters are all so survival-oriented and dedicated to factions that don't exist in our world. I wouldn't want to live in that world and wouldn't have any aspirations if I did, other than "don't die."

I would love to like fantasy, but wow do I have a hard time caring. I played Divinity Original Sin for a couple of hours and never went back. Not one thing intrigued me and it's supposed to be over 100 hours long. UGH. Portal is like 3 hours long and rocked my world. When games are too long, they leave me butthurt, but when they're small and filled with goodness, they leave me begging for more.

Giggity.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian

I do like Bodhi's body (huehuehue~), but I don't think I can get into D&D. The only fantasy stuff I ever really liked was King's Quest and LotR, and the former was just because I was a kid and liked tons of stuff. Had I found it now, I probably wouldn't pay it any heed. Fantasy is so hard for me to relate to because the characters are all so survival-oriented and dedicated to factions that don't exist in our world. I wouldn't want to live in that world and wouldn't have any aspirations if I did, other than "don't die."

I would love to like fantasy, but wow do I have a hard time caring. I played Divinity Original Sin for a couple of hours and never went back. Not one thing intrigued me and it's supposed to be over 100 hours long. UGH. Portal is like 3 hours long and rocked my world. When games are too long, they leave me butthurt, but when they're small and filled with goodness, they leave me begging for more.

Giggity.

I can understand not enjoying the game if you aren't into Fantasy.  I find pleasure in various RPG settings, so it doesn't always have to be fantasy but it certainly can be.  But I love space operas as well, and post apocalyptic worlds and contemporary settings.  I like horror and science fiction as well.

I definitely prefer the larger, longer, more elaborate games though.  If a game is too simple, I might not enjoy it with the exception of early arcade games, Tetris and PC hearts.  lol

Offline fylimar

• Antediluvian

Great games. Part 2  has vampires in it. But you can't play them
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian

Great games. Part 2  has vampires in it. But you can't play them

Although I used a vampire avatar for my first BG character ever.  Actually I would call her my first RPG character ever.  And I colored her sprite to match. 

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian

Giggity.

I can understand not enjoying the game if you aren't into Fantasy.  I find pleasure in various RPG settings, so it doesn't always have to be fantasy but it certainly can be.  But I love space operas as well, and post apocalyptic worlds and contemporary settings.  I like horror and science fiction as well.

I definitely prefer the larger, longer, more elaborate games though.  If a game is too simple, I might not enjoy it with the exception of early arcade games, Tetris and PC hearts.  lol

Oh, I did like Skyrim even though I never finished it. I played it for over 100 hours per attempt, so I guess it's not all fantasy I dislike? I think it just needs to interest me and although there's a lot of variety in D&D, that also means there's a lot of uninteresting stuff to me. Vampires? Yay! Deities dying/fading from existence based on the amount of belief placed into them? Yay! Generic orcs, elves, hill giants, etc. mehhhh. With the World of Darkness, almost everything is interesting to me. I think a D&D game could be fun for me if the damn thing didn't spend time on critters n' things I found boring, but I've yet to see that.

I managed to finish NWN2 and its DLC years back, but I don't think I would have the patience to sit through it again.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian

Giggity.

Oh, I did like Skyrim even though I never finished it. I played it for over 100 hours per attempt, so I guess it's not all fantasy I dislike? I think it just needs to interest me and although there's a lot of variety in D&D, that also means there's a lot of uninteresting stuff to me. Vampires? Yay! Deities dying/fading from existence based on the amount of belief placed into them? Yay! Generic orcs, elves, hill giants, etc. mehhhh. With the World of Darkness, almost everything is interesting to me. I think a D&D game could be fun for me if the damn thing didn't spend time on critters n' things I found boring, but I've yet to see that.

I managed to finish NWN2 and its DLC years back, but I don't think I would have the patience to sit through it again.

See and I just love the elves and goblins and hill giants and shit like that. They're based on real world myths and even settings that I love bore the hell out of me when they don't mix traditional fantasy elements in with their brilliant unique stuff.  I love The Elder Scrolls because they are a mixture of traditional and unique lore.  So good.  I love D&D because its all very traditional.  I do love Dragon Age very much, but my GOD I am getting so bored with Darkspawn and the limits on magic because of the dangers of the fade and no real dieties.  There is no credible creation myths at all, so we don't know how the world got there like we do with Realmspace or The Elder Scrolls.  There are hardly ANY traditional Goblinkin so far in that setting.  Its mainly Darkspawn, darkspawn, darkspawn.  The only goblinoid race to show up so far are the ghasts.  I was actually really happy to see that, its a shame they haven't introduced any more, like trolls and actual goblins.  That being said, I am still stoked for Dragon Age 4.  lol

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian

Giggity.

See and I just love the elves and goblins and hill giants and shit like that. They're based on real world myths and even settings that I love bore the hell out of me when they don't mix traditional fantasy elements in with their brilliant unique stuff.  I love The Elder Scrolls because they are a mixture of traditional and unique lore.  So good.  I love D&D because its all very traditional.  I do love Dragon Age very much, but my GOD I am getting so bored with Darkspawn and the limits on magic because of the dangers of the fade and no real dieties.  There is no credible creation myths at all, so we don't know how the world got there like we do with Realmspace or The Elder Scrolls.  There are hardly ANY traditional Goblinkin so far in that setting.  Its mainly Darkspawn, darkspawn, darkspawn.  The only goblinoid race to show up so far are the ghasts.  I was actually really happy to see that, its a shame they haven't introduced any more, like trolls and actual goblins.  That being said, I am still stoked for Dragon Age 4.  lol

Meh, but I'm like "Oh. Pointed ears. WOW. AMAZING. *eyeroll*" They don't do anything interesting. Oh yeah, the Darkspawn and the Demons in Dragon Age were the only thing that interested me in that setting; especially the Demons. And even then, there weren't enough Demons in the second game for my liking concerning quests and such. "Monster looks weird" just doesn't interest me. I like neat rules and stuff for creatures, like those spriggan tree dudes in Skyrim whom you could steal's briarhearts while in stealth and it instantly killed them. <3

As far as your liking of deities, D&D bores me because there are so many. Each deity doesn't get much time being talked about and it's an arbitrary thing you select at character creation in D&D video games when you pick a deity you follow. That stuff doesn't come up as relevant and the deity never has a strong presence unless there's just one that a cult follows as the main plot or something. Otherwise, you're shit outta luck for the most part. Stuff like that is why I like Warhammer 40K's deities. There are four main chaos gods and they are very heavily "themed" and you can easily cordon off which one supports which shenanigans and how its servants would behave. And people mutate like in Dragon Age (Dragon Age is a massive WH ripoff when it comes to the Demon lore).

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
Meh, but I'm like "Oh. Pointed ears. WOW. AMAZING. *eyeroll*" They don't do anything interesting. Oh yeah, the Darkspawn and the Demons in Dragon Age were the only thing that interested me in that setting; especially the Demons. And even then, there weren't enough Demons in the second game for my liking concerning quests and such. "Monster looks weird" just doesn't interest me. I like neat rules and stuff for creatures, like those spriggan tree dudes in Skyrim whom you could steal's briarhearts while in stealth and it instantly killed them. <3

As far as your liking of deities, D&D bores me because there are so many. Each deity doesn't get much time being talked about and it's an arbitrary thing you select at character creation in D&D video games when you pick a deity you follow. That stuff doesn't come up as relevant and the deity never has a strong presence unless there's just one that a cult follows as the main plot or something. Otherwise, you're shit outta luck for the most part. Stuff like that is why I like Warhammer 40K's deities. There are four main chaos gods and they are very heavily "themed" and you can easily cordon off which one supports which shenanigans and how its servants would behave. And people mutate like in Dragon Age (Dragon Age is a massive WH ripoff when it comes to the Demon lore).

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the deities.  I guess I don't super notice the lack of huge focus on them in the PC games because I have read several of the novels that did.  The Avatar series and many of the Drizzt books have given me quite a lesson on them.  I am a big fan of the goddess Mystra, one of the reasons why I hated the 4.0 ruleset, she got murdered!  :(   lol  Anyway, the books are always on my mind when I play the games.  The Avatar series really is a great primer on many of the different gods.  So when it comes to Realmspace Godlore, I'm good.  I suppose they could do a better job with ingame books like TES does.  Man, when playing TES games I can spend an hour or more just reading some of those ingame books.  They are short but very interesting.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the deities.  I guess I don't super notice the lack of huge focus on them in the PC games because I have read several of the novels that did.  The Avatar series and many of the Drizzt books have given me quite a lesson on them.  I am a big fan of the goddess Mystra, one of the reasons why I hated the 4.0 ruleset, she got murdered!  :(   lol  Anyway, the books are always on my mind when I play the games.  The Avatar series really is a great primer on many of the different gods.  So when it comes to Realmspace Godlore, I'm good.  I suppose they could do a better job with ingame books like TES does.  Man, when playing TES games I can spend an hour or more just reading some of those ingame books.  They are short but very interesting.

Maybe someday I'll find another D&D game that fascinates me. For now, though, PlaneScape: Torment is the only one that I can wholeheartedly give a thumbs up to. My only gripe about it now is that it's a bit aged in terms of combat, and (more combat) it uses the AD&D "second edition" rules which I think are a bit weird. THAC0 never really delighted me, and the numeric system of those games is weird. 3.0 onward was like "Yeah...even numbers do shit for attributes. We're still gonna be complex AF for rules, but at least there's some method to our madness, yo.~"

So back on topic, we've got what? Two VtM video games other than Bloodlines 2 coming? One is by the company that made The Council so theories would lend credence probably to some Elysium/dialog sluttery, and the other is by some company that makes a visual novel/Oregon Trail mash-up, so we'll probably get some arcade fight thing with 3 playable clans and some visual novel dialog choices.

I'm automatically interested because VtM, and sure, I'd like to hope they'll be good, but I'm not excited for them. Bloodlines 2, on the other hands, is an immersive sim (i.e. Bloodlines 1, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dishonored, etc.). Those tickle me when in an interesting world filled with characters and lore I like. <3

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
So back on topic, we've got what? Two VtM video games other than Bloodlines 2 coming? One is by the company that made The Council so theories would lend credence probably to some Elysium/dialog sluttery, and the other is by some company that makes a visual novel/Oregon Trail mash-up, so we'll probably get some arcade fight thing with 3 playable clans and some visual novel dialog choices.

I'm automatically interested because VtM, and sure, I'd like to hope they'll be good, but I'm not excited for them. Bloodlines 2, on the other hands, is an immersive sim (i.e. Bloodlines 1, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dishonored, etc.). Those tickle me when in an interesting world filled with characters and lore I like. <3

Oooh The Council looks good.  I have it but have yet to play it.  So now I am more intrigued.  I just hope they're good! 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal