Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Vampire the Masquerade Battle Royale Game (No joke!!!)  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
Re: Vampire the Masquerade Battle Royale Game (No joke!!!)
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2020, 02:29:48 am »
My first reaction was "This is terrible," but the more I see of it the more I'm okay with it. When licensing out the IP you never really know what will be awesome and what will be trash. People tend to remember the best and forget the worst (thinking of Warhammer licensing their IP out).

I'd be more optimistic if it wasn't for the Mitsoda fiasco.

However, I'll say one thing: if this title pays for better WOD games, then it's a good idea. Hopefully it'll turn to be that.

Offline argikt

• Antediluvian
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2020, 07:23:00 am »
In my opinion, this is a shame. I think is this not the kind of game that vampire masquerade players expect... and perhaps we are not the public for this kind of game...
Following this reason, it makes no sense to pay the royalties to do it, when you can make this kind of game of vampire without the licence, just changing the names of the clans and the disciplines, like a tons of games do.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:41:22 am by Wesp5 »

Offline Radical21

• Antediluvian
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2020, 03:07:21 pm »
My first reaction was "This is terrible," but the more I see of it the more I'm okay with it. When licensing out the IP you never really know what will be awesome and what will be trash. People tend to remember the best and forget the worst (thinking of Warhammer licensing their IP out). 

Also, hi to all the old heads still here!  I see Wesp (obv) and Radical and MooCHa!  o/  Hope you've all been well.

Hi, yes it seems better once they've explained it in details but still a bad move to market it like this or to market it under the title of "battle royal" which makes most people think of PUBG or Fortnite. BL1 had a botched release and still some people remember it favorably now , maybe it would be a similar story with BL2.

Offline Nigama

• Dead
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 04:32:29 pm »
I'd be more optimistic if it wasn't for the Mitsoda fiasco.

From the little I understand, that was more about saving money because his job was mostly or completely done and they knew they'd be pushing the game back for months. I'm sure his name will still be in the credits for his role/contributions. It happened at the same time or just before they announced they were delaying the game's release. They also hired some other people, but no one to replace Mitsoda or the position he was in.

However, I'll say one thing: if this title pays for better WOD games, then it's a good idea. Hopefully it'll turn to be that.

That's not really how licensing works. One game doesn't necessarily pay for the other games. The IP is licensed out to other studios to make games set in the World of Darkness and all that money comes home to the owners of the IP, not to the other game makers. The owner of the IP, Paradox, does happen to be the publisher of BL2 (Hard Suit Labs is developing it), but still the timeline when BL2 will release versus when these other game licenses might pay Paradox back is questionable.

In my opinion, this is a shame. I think is this not the kind of game that vampire masquerade players expect... and perhaps we are not the public for this kind of game...Following this reason, it makes no sense to pay the royalties to do it, when you can make this kind of game of vampire without the licence, just changing the names of the clans and the disciplines, like a tons of games do.

Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe different styles of games can bring in new blood and get them interested in the IP. Then when they look further into it they find great games like BL1 and the tabletop community.

"You may not remember us, but we may be responsible for your lack of memory."

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2020, 11:08:29 pm »
That's not really how licensing works. One game doesn't necessarily pay for the other games. The IP is licensed out to other studios to make games set in the World of Darkness and all that money comes home to the owners of the IP, not to the other game makers. The owner of the IP, Paradox, does happen to be the publisher of BL2 (Hard Suit Labs is developing it), but still the timeline when BL2 will release versus when these other game licenses might pay Paradox back is questionable.

Partially true, Paradox might feel more encouraged about financing more experimental or ambitious games if they know the WOD licence pays off.

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2020, 08:32:07 am »
They also hired some other people, but no one to replace Mitsoda or the position he was in.

Then what Mandryka is doing out there?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:13:15 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wilhelm-Streicher

• Antediluvian
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2020, 12:16:35 pm »
He is kinda the new Creative Director.
Mitsoda and Ellison are replaced with Samantha Wallschlaeger as the new Lead Narrative Designer and Joran Mychal Lemos as the new Senior Narrative Designer.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 02:13:25 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2020, 06:14:27 pm »
He is kinda the new Creative Director.
Mitsoda and Ellison are replaced with Samantha Wallschlaeger as the new Lead Narrative Designer and Joran Mychal Lemos as the new Senior Narrative Designer.

Yeah I know, that one Avellone's fucking "victim" (well done Samantha u fucking slut, that's the way of carrier building).

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2020, 06:24:20 pm »
By the way, here is the official FAQ in "print" for the VtM Battle Royale. The info isn't really new (we've basically covered it all on here), but here it is just in case: Battle Royale in Vampire: The Masquerade world? | World of Darkness

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal