* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Vampire JAM  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
Vampire JAM
« on: October 29, 2021, 10:27:32 am »

From Outstar twitter

https://twitter.com/outstarwalker/status/1453770276823609347

Hey, look what's happening: an official. Vampire. The Masquerade. Game. JAM. One month to make VTM video games. Horror games. Story games. Dating sims. Whatever you dreamt about. Everyone can join. I'm hosting a workshop on Saturday for beginners. ❤️ height=1 https://itch.io/jam/vtm

Immagine height=317

Furthermore:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-next-vampire-the-masquerade-game-may-spring-from-novembers-vampire-jam/

Is she who I think she is?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:40:08 am by Barabbah »
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Vampire JAM
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 12:49:59 pm »
What kind of games do they think can be made in one month? This can only result in watering down the VtM game quality even more...

Offline Wilhelm-Streicher

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 09:37:42 pm »
This can only result in watering down the VtM game quality even more...
"I also think we should start looking a little more at which active partners want to start working with our World of Darkness IPs. We have to ask ourselves how we should do to develop the brand and the universe, if we should maybe co-finance, how we will work with licensing and so on ", says Fredrik Wester.

Offline Monjh

• Emperor of the Universe
  • Neonate
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying I can be lying
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 05:17:23 am »
If this is launched even in 6 months and is a real game, I think (and wish I am wrong) that the bugs found in New World & Cyberpunk would look like masterpieces when compared to a game so rushed...

...Or (and hear me out) they are releasing the "old" VTMB2 game.
Vampires? You are watching too much TV.

Offline Pyoro-2

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 11:42:42 am »
You guys do understand the concept of game creation jams, right? The entire point is to create a limited-scope game from scratch. Can be 24h, can be a month, can be something else. Sometimes the games are then developed further but usually not because the point was in having fun creating something, not to magically spawn an AAA game experience from nothing.

Obviously.

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 01:00:35 pm »
You guys do understand the concept of game creation jams, right? The entire point is to create a limited-scope game from scratch.
I never heard of game creation jams before. Are there any known examples where some cool games came out of it?

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 01:36:12 pm »
For an example, "Santa Monica by Night" by Outstar (a point and click sequel to Bloodlines). Yes, it's really short, but it's nicely narrated. It also won a vampire themed Jam.
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline Monjh

• Neonate
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 06:01:28 pm »
You guys do understand the concept of game creation jams, right? The entire point is to create a limited-scope game from scratch. Can be 24h, can be a month, can be something else. Sometimes the games are then developed further but usually not because the point was in having fun creating something, not to magically spawn an AAA game experience from nothing.

Obviously.

I have never heard of a JAM game.

Offline Monjh

• Neonate
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 04:37:41 am »

An unpopular opinion:

Some time ago it was popular (I mean, more popular than it is today) to make writing competitive thing with time/subject/other subjects constrains to see what could be accomplished. You CAN say we had good thing given the constrains, but you have to admit we had a lot of shit, and very rarely we had something as good as something properly planned. Give that, chances are we will have something, at most, "meh".

Remembering something from an old discussion: I don't care if you think FPS is the BEST vision for this kind of game, I only care about quality of writing (first) and graphics (second). I actually HATE FPS but can understand when it fits the game (and I can’t see it in a RP game, no matter how hard you try).

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 02:29:51 pm »
Some time ago it was popular (I mean, more popular than it is today) to make writing competitive thing with time/subject/other subjects constrains to see what could be accomplished. You CAN say we had good thing given the constrains, but you have to admit we had a lot of shit, and very rarely we had something as good as something properly planned. Give that, chances are we will have something, at most, "meh".
I agree. While I never heard of a game jam before, on Planet Phillip, a Half-Life/Half-Life 2 mapping site, Phillip often had so called "ville" competitions and some of them were limited in time. These usually had much worse maps as a result than those limited in theme, but with much more time to work on it!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 02:32:25 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wilhelm-Streicher

• Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 09:14:15 pm »
Obviously.
My quote from the old new Paradox CEO is still valid. It doesn´t matter how much time this new game is development but the Vampire the Masquerade franchise in general have too many games which aren´t that good. So why do need another game? Quality over Quantity should be Paradox strategy.

Offline Vinland

• Neonate
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 02:51:54 am »
Obviously.
My quote from the old new Paradox CEO is still valid. It doesn´t matter how much time this new game is development but the Vampire the Masquerade franchise in general have too many games which aren´t that good. So why do need another game? Quality over Quantity should be Paradox strategy.

I've explained to you before that Paradox is directly involved with exactly one WOD game. Just one. They publish Bloodlines 2 and have no direct involvement in any WOD game that has come out or is scheduled to come out in the future.

Every other WOD game is published and developed by studios that are not Paradox Interactive. Paradox just sold them a license and collects a portion of the revenues. Because Paradox doesn't spent a dime on the development of these games, those revenues that come back to them are 100% profit. On their end, it's the best possible outcome.

"Gatekeeping" is the practice of trying to keep newcomers away from a fandom under the assumption that the newcomers cannot appreciate an IP the way that old gatekeepers can and the assumption that newcomer influence will only dilute the IP. There's no profit to be made from gatekeeping so big companies don't do it.

Offline Monjh

• Neonate
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 03:02:38 am »
Our comments are, mostly, that a game made with that kind of premisse will be middle term quality at best. I, personally, don't care who is making that game or what conditions of the IP usage they have, I only care that a game on those premisses will not be worth my dime, and I don't see any value in that kind of constraint.

Offline Vinland

• Neonate
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 03:27:16 am »
Our comments are, mostly, that a game made with that kind of premisse will be middle term quality at best. I, personally, don't care who is making that game or what conditions of the IP usage they have, I only care that a game on those premisses will not be worth my dime, and I don't see any value in that kind of constraint.

It's a game jam. They're not trying to make AAA games. It's a non-serious event for people with coding experience to make something small and fun. This isn't even the first vampire game jam. There was another one, two years ago, and no IPs died:

Offline Monjh

• Neonate
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 03:39:46 am »
Again: we are saying that this kind of "challenge" is not something we like. Pure and simples. And as I said before related to writing competitions with constrains, that usually lead to a shitty product.

Want to make something like that in your company to see what you can acomplish? Sure, can be a good thing to see what can and can't be done in some situations. Do that and relase to the public? Them be prepared (and open) for criticism.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal