* Notice

Important notice: Currently emails from this forum are being automatically blocked by many email providers, claiming Planetvampire.com has a "low reputation". As such you may struggle to register and/or submit password reset requests. If you require help, please email admin@planetvampire.com for assistance. In the meantime we are continuing to work on this issue.

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Returning Bloodlines 1 Characters Speculation  (Read 95858 times)

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
Re: Returning Bloodlines 1 Characters Speculation
« Reply #765 on: December 06, 2020, 01:09:34 am »
Well, this isn´t directly Bloodlines relatived but Greg Ellis is destroying at least his professional videogame voiceover career.https://kotaku.com/dragon-age-voice-actor-potentially-out-after-twitter-at-1845811800
And what does this news have to do with Bloodlines 1 & 2 you might ask?
Well, Greg Ellis had voiced in Bloodlines 1 Knox, E, Christopher, Brian and some Sabbat in the Nines Intro. I don´t think that besides Knox and E any of this other roles are possiblies for returning characters. Maybe if Knox and / or E are returning well Ellis could still be replaced but to honest I don´t believe that those two are coming back.

Fuck. My. Life.

As always Wilhelm, thank you for the news... painful as they might be :58_45_40:

Offline Wilhelm-Streicher

• Antediluvian
« Reply #766 on: March 25, 2021, 10:04:32 pm »
These aren´t returning character but according to Bloodlines 2s IMDb Page Abigail Marlowe voices Bea and Krizia Bajos is voice actress for both Isabel and Sydney.https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10064424/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
Maybe this old news but i never heard the names Bea, Isabel and Sydney in any Bloodlines 2 article. So some positive news i guess.  :rofl:

• Antediluvian
« Reply #767 on: January 02, 2023, 07:16:50 pm »
If Bloodlines 2 want to use Maximillian Strauss or Isaac Abrams (and also Grünfeld Bach but I highly doubt that someone ever brings Grünfeld Bach back) they have to hire another voice actor if there weren´t any previous recorded lines.

"In 2021, it was reported that Jim Ward had developed symptoms of Alzheimer´s disease and contracted a severe case of COVID-19, leaving him unable to continue voice acting."https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/05/12/ratchet-clank-jim-ward/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 08:40:05 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #768 on: January 02, 2023, 08:45:48 pm »
Oh, that's a shame. But I don't think it will influence Bloodlines 2, as due to the new VtM V setting, all old vampires are going to the near east for some bullshit or other and Isaac has supposedly already been gone, then Strauss must be gone too, because he is much older than Isaac. BTW, I think this is another really bad idea of the new VtM V setting, because the old vampires manipulating the young ones was an important aspect of the old VtM, and of course Bloodlines, and what fun is only new over-powerful vampires and thin bloods fighting each other?

• Antediluvian
« Reply #769 on: January 02, 2023, 09:16:22 pm »
Isaac has supposedly already been gone, then Strauss must be gone too, because he is much older than Isaac.
Ok but i thought that had returned to LA because of L.A by Night?  :chinscratch:
https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Maximillian_Strauss
BTW, I think this is another really bad idea of the new VtM V setting, because the old vampires manipulating the young ones was an important aspect of the old VtM, and of course Bloodlines, and what fun is only new over-powerful vampires and thin bloods fighting each other?
I agree but i assume those old vampires are not cool & interesting enough for some marketing guys & gals who want their vampires to be more fresher and more appealing to a younger audience.
Edit: But there is other nonsense like Arthur Kilpatrick is a vampire and human guy in Bloodlines is not the real Arthur or some other bullshit.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:25:46 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #770 on: January 02, 2023, 09:59:32 pm »
Ok but i thought that had returned to LA because of L.A by Night?  :chinscratch:

The last info about Strauss there is from 2018, who knows if he followed the Calling in the meantime? Then again, they probably don't care about their own rules and just use this as an excuse to get rid of any older vampires they don't want to have in VtM V.

I agree but i assume those old vampires are not cool & interesting enough for some marketing guys & gals who want their vampires to be more fresher and more appealing to a younger audience.

Indeed, see the MCU. They probably killed VtM that way already...

But there is other nonsense like Arthur Kilpatrick is a vampire and human guy in Bloodlines is not the real Arthur or some other bullshit.

To me it looks as if they tried to force Bloodlines characters into the new setting because the game is well known without even playing it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:21:58 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Pyoro-2

• Fledgling
« Reply #771 on: January 03, 2023, 04:03:41 pm »
The overall background setting stuff has always been borderline cringe for WoD, in my opinion anyway. The sorta teenage-fanfiction-writing level (just look at the Chinese vampires ...) - the game managed to be good despite it, not because of it. I suspect it will be the same for BL2, if it succeeds - because it'll be a good character drama. Not because some wider implications for the setting at large (like how the Ankaran Sarcophagus was only ever a MacGuffin and never any more than that).

Besides, I don't think anyone can deny that including loads of very old vamps also had it's issues - it meant the player getting super-powerful so quickly felt very gamey-cheesy. Here you are, at best a few weeks old, and there everyone else has centuries of experience yet can't get anything done you aren't doing for them ...

And besides that besides, assuming what's been teased so far is still true, we know that the new vampires won't just all be young. Lou is supposed to be reasonably old (200+ or so? I think she and her faction are supposed to be at least as old as the city). That probably makes the Camarilla that replaced them recently-ish (last 20 years) also "decently" old; otherwise chances are they wouldn't have pulled that off ...

And besides beside that besides, it's in Seattle, not in LA. Why bring back previous characters at all? Makes sense that 1-2 would show up, but BL2 shouldn't turn into some sort of BL1 fanfiction. Do your own thing. ^^

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #772 on: January 03, 2023, 07:52:20 pm »
Not because some wider implications for the setting at large (like how the Ankaran Sarcophagus was only ever a MacGuffin and never any more than that).

I have never experienced much of the WoD besides the computer games, but the Ankaran Sarcophagus was never a MacGuffin, which is basically the heart of the whole Bloodlines story!

Here you are, at best a few weeks old, and there everyone else has centuries of experience yet can't get anything done you aren't doing for them ...

You misunderstand the setting. Of course they could do the things themselves, but that is below them, so they use the player. Which is another big part of the story. Even Jack just uses you in the end!

Why bring back previous characters at all? Makes sense that 1-2 would show up, but BL2 shouldn't turn into some sort of BL1 fanfiction. Do your own thing. ^^

I completey agree with you here. I didn't even understand why Damsel needed to be in the game! She wasn't even that special for Bloodlines...

Offline Pyoro-2

• Fledgling
« Reply #773 on: January 03, 2023, 08:24:36 pm »
I have never experienced much of the WoD besides the computer games, but the Ankaran Sarcophagus was never a MacGuffin, which is basically the heart of the whole Bloodlines story!
Obviously definitions vary a bit but a MacGuffin to me is:

In fiction, a MacGuffin is an object, device, or event that is necessary to the plot and the motivation of the characters, but insignificant, unimportant, or irrelevant in itself.
The Ankaran Sarcophagus could have been anything - what's important is that everybody wants it or has some idea about it. But it doesn't matter what it actually is. It drives the conflict without being relevant for being itself. Indeed, in the end it's proven just how irrelevant it is - it's just a fake. To me, it's very much a classic MacGuffin.

You misunderstand the setting. Of course they could do the things themselves, but that is below them, so they use the player. Which is another big part of the story. Even Jack just uses you in the end!
Yeah, I sorta get that excuse but it's a game - it is that way because it has to be that way to be entertaining. The rest ... I'm convinced is an excuse after the fact ;).

You can tell players notice because there's endless theories about how actually Caine is your sire (or possibly messed with you/your development somehow), about how your sire that gets executed might just have been a patsy LaCroix got his hands on and your actual sire is somebody else, and yaddayaddayadda. Players clearly feel that something disproportionate is going on here.

I personally don't think any of those theories are true; it's just the nature of the game we're playing. But, in any case, this discrepancy, if it is one, could be theoretically lessened by making the player primarily interact with other young and young-ish vampires, and leaving the truly old and powerful ones way more in the background than BL1 did. Whether they'll do that or not I don't know, I'm just saying this might have been a story-design choice they made.

I completey agree with you here. I didn't even understand why Damsel needed to be in the game! She wasn't even that special for Bloodlines...
Yeah, but I feel that's at least a positive. A character like Jack who is super important to BL1 ... well, that'd feel like just the same game again. Damsel is significant enough that players know her but she's not one of the primary actors in BL1 so there's really not too much harm in having her around. If we have to be doing direct connections via characters (it's good for marketing, what can you do...) I can live with that ^^;
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 08:46:51 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #774 on: January 03, 2023, 08:55:53 pm »
The Ankaran Sarcophagus could have been anything - what's important is that everybody wants it or has some idea about it. But it doesn't matter what it actually is.

This is completely wrong, at least for all endings in which it is opened. In those cases it is very important what is in it ;)! That's not typical for a McGuffin.

Yeah, I sorta get that excuse but it's a game - it is that way because it has to be that way to be entertaining.

I know, but as far as I heard, this is also very much a critical part of the PnP VtM background.

I personally don't think any of those theories are true; it's just the nature of the game we're playing.

I agree, but even then Troika made up an excuse to explain the gamey power of the player in the game. And they made it in a great mysterious way that fits with the setting! I mean even in-game characters notice your growing strength.

But, in any case, this discrepancy, if it is one, could be theoretically lessened by making the player primarily interact with other young and young-ish vampires, and leaving the truly old and powerful ones way more in the background than BL1 did.

Yeah, that would be cool, but from what we have seen, the thin blood powers from the BL2 demo were already more powerful than many of the original BL1 low level disciplines. So I fear we will probably get even worse player-powerplay.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 09:01:03 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline tarulu

• Antediluvian
« Reply #775 on: January 03, 2023, 11:13:15 pm »
Besides, I don't think anyone can deny that including loads of very old vamps also had it's issues - it meant the player getting super-powerful so quickly felt very gamey-cheesy. Here you are, at best a few weeks old, and there everyone else has centuries of experience yet can't get anything done you aren't doing for them ...
Same thing in PnP.
The overall background setting stuff has always been borderline cringe for WoD, in my opinion anyway. The sorta teenage-fanfiction-writing level (just look at the Chinese vampires ...)
Why?

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #776 on: January 04, 2023, 07:27:52 am »
About the elder leaving the V5 setting, I think it was a wise decision (not the wise decision). This way a new generation of both neonates and "new elders" can have interesting stories without having a generation series too big to properly handle IMO.

And about Damsel, I like they added her. She can have a small cameo or a larger role, I don't mind.  :tongue:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline tarulu

• Antediluvian
« Reply #777 on: January 04, 2023, 07:02:34 pm »
About the elder leaving the V5 setting, I think it was a wise decision (not the wise decision). This way a new generation of both neonates and "new elders" can have interesting stories without having a generation series too big to properly handle IMO.
You could always have a game in both PnP and video in a certain city that there are no old Elders involved. V5 is just bad writing in all directions.

• Antediluvian
« Reply #778 on: January 08, 2023, 05:00:40 pm »
Well i like that would have seen returning characters in Bloodlines 2. Also why not Damsel? Like you said she was´t a major character in the first game but in this she could have more things to do and her character would be more fleshed out. Edit: Also Brian Mitsoda really wanted to work with Courtenay Taylor again.

The other returning character would have been the TV Anchor voiced again by Brian Mitsoda. Again not special but a nice familiarity for players of the first game. And maybe Margaret Tang would have also reprised one of her roles. Lily would be interesting and Seattle is not so far of Oregon.

Saying all this, those characters would have been cool for the Mitsoda build but we won´t get this version. Who knows if Bloodlines 2 is still taking place in Seattle?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:48:32 pm by Wesp5 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2023, SimplePortal